World Badminton Championships, Glasgow,Scotland,(Aug 21-26)

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: World Badminton Championships, Glasgow,Scotland,(Aug 21-26)

Post by Varma »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:44 am Saina has performed far better than even I could have hoped!
Off to betting365.com with all my life savings! Tomorrow's sunrise will be on the west. Any takers? :p :p :p

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Varma, count me in ... :devil:
Terrific performance by Saina for confirming her 2nd World Championship medal ... Sindhu having a tough match against current Junior World champion Chen Yufei, China's next big hope ... In the World Championship semis, no match is easy still Saina having a good chance to reach another World Championship final.

re-writing scores

[QF] (4) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,4) bt (5) Yu Sun (CHN,6) 21-14 21-9
[QF] (12) Saina Nehwal (IND,16) bt (16) Kirsty Gilmour (SCO,31) 21-19 18-21 21-15

[SF] (4) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,4) vs (9) Yufei Chen (CHN,10)
[SF] (12) Saina Nehwal (IND,16) vs (7) Nozomi Okuhara (JPN,12)
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

2012 OG - Saina bronze
2013 WC - Sindhu bronze
2014 WC - Sindhu bronze
2015 WC - Saina silver
2016 OG - Sindhu silver
2017 WC - at least 2x medals

The combined performances of Saina and Sindhu seems to be steadily upticking.

We need more medal prospects to join the party soon though and Srikanth has been the closest since 2015 but may lack the toughness to do it.

Unfortunately, no one else is even close though Prannoy has the talent but lacks the consistency.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Axelsen thrashed Chen Long in a shocking result.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[SF] (12) Saina Nehwal (IND,16) l. (7) Nozomi Okuhara (JPN,12) 21-12, 17-21, 10-21
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Very sad. I watched the match. In the 1st game, Saina seemed to be running away with the match. But 2nd game onwards Okuhara seemed to be recovering everything Saina threw at her. She kind of forced Saina to go for winners and make unforced errors. By the 3rd game, the long rallies seemed to have taken a toll on Saina's stamina. Looks like she is still not at 100%. The surgery has taken a toll on her endurance levels. She also appeared a tad slower. She would have to work on her fitness if she needs to play at a top 5 kind of level. The other shortcoming she has is she doesn't have a jump smash like what Sindhu has. That prevents her from finishing points quickly and prolongs rallies which is not good when stamina is not 100%. She is depending too much on placement and deception. This strategy works when speed and stamina are at their peak. To be fair to her I think Okuhara ' s team figured out that the only way to best her was to go for long rallies, tire her out and force her into mistakes.
Anyway, best of luck for future. She still has a couple of good years left in her.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

No shame losing to Okuhara. She is too good to be beaten.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:49 pm Very sad. I watched the match. In the 1st game, Saina seemed to be running away with the match. But 2nd game onwards Okuhara seemed to be recovering everything Saina threw at her. She kind of forced Saina to go for winners and make unforced errors. By the 3rd game, the long rallies seemed to have taken a toll on Saina's stamina. Looks like she is still not at 100%. The surgery has taken a toll on her endurance levels. She also appeared a tad slower. She would have to work on her fitness if she needs to play at a top 5 kind of level. The other shortcoming she has is she doesn't have a jump smash like what Sindhu has. That prevents her from finishing points quickly and prolongs rallies which is not good when stamina is not 100%. She is depending too much on placement and deception. This strategy works when speed and stamina are at their peak. To be fair to her I think Okuhara ' s team figured out that the only way to best her was to go for long rallies, tire her out and force her into mistakes.
Anyway, best of luck for future. She still has a couple of good years left in her.
Excellent analysis, especially on the smash part. I felt that long back. But she did well with that handicap and went on to become the number one. With age and surgery, opponents (capable ones) are able to exploit the same. Let's see how far can she stretch. Saw Lin Dan play. He is 33 and awesome. I am certain she will do better in future.

Everyone almost gave up on her.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes a year back Saina was so badly injured during Rio that she was even thinking that her career would be over. From there to come back and win another world championships medal is excellent. In couple of matches which I saw her movement was better than any other tournament post injury.

Hopefully she can sustain her level for next 3 years till 2020 olympics .
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

But P. V. Sindhu will win
depleter

Post by depleter »

Saina herself said she is not back to 100% yet after her win against Sung ji hyun.
Are you back to your best?
No, I’m not playing well. I had a very hard injury. But I realise that you can’t be at the top at all times. Let us see. I played OK. Still, I’m not at 100 per cent. I’ll be very happy the day I play at my best. That day I’ll come and tell you I’m back.
http://indianexpress.com/article/sports ... a-4812270/
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[SF] (4) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,4) d. (9) Yufei Chen (CHN,10) 21-13, 21-10

What a fabulous performance. 48 minutes of sheer brilliance! The commentators seem sure that the Jana Gana Mana will be played after the women's singles final!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Sindhu totally dominated this game. :dance: Looking forward to the finals.
Varma

Post by Varma »

That's a ruthlessly authoritative stomping from Sindhu. She thrives on these big stages. Her H2H with Okuhara is 3-3. However, Sindhu won their last 2 meetings: Semi-final at Rio 2016 (21-19, 21-10), and in the 1st round of Singapore Super Series this year (10-21, 21-15, 22-20). Even in current rankings, she is ranked much higher at 4 compared to Okuhara's 12. All these facts show her to be a clear favorite to win her maiden world crown! Good luck for tomorrow, Sindu!

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

This was a terrific win against regaining Junior World Champion ... Ruthless performance ... So one more win away from World crown ... Go Sindhu go.

At TOTAL BWF World Championships 2017, Glasgow, Scotland

[F] (4) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,4) vs (7) Nozomi Okuhara (JPN,12)