World Badminton Championships, Glasgow,Scotland,(Aug 21-26)

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: World Badminton Championships, Glasgow,Scotland,(Aug 21-26)

Post by Varma »

I don't understand why they can't have a bronze medal match between the 2 losing semi-finalists. Tennis used to follow the same rule in Olympics (just for a few editions) after it was re-introduced back in 1988. While this rule brought us a sure shot second medal (thru Saina), I would much rather have a decider to make the player earn it.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Not exactly related but somewhat. I have always thought what is wrong with an honorable draw? I like that in test cricket. I guess it is our primeval animal instincts in wanting one victor and the other demolished. In today's final, I think that the final winner was largely due to luck. When the match is so close, the outcome determined by a few points does not mean much. I would say that in case it is 20-20 in the third set, you are joint winners. That way, TV would be happy to because it would avoid very long matches. And, when there is substantial money involved, players would not really play for the draw if they can.

Obviously, you can only have ties in finals and 3rd place games.

I have no problems in playing a 3rd place game, but, I would rather have the close games declared a tie if the points are too close. Of course, I know this is never going to happen.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Varma wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:43 pm I don't understand why they can't have a bronze medal match between the 2 losing semi-finalists. Tennis used to follow the same rule in Olympics (just for a few editions) after it was re-introduced back in 1988. While this rule brought us a sure shot second medal (thru Saina), I would much rather have a decider to make the player earn it.

- Varma
I would take umbrage with the term "earn". I think both semi-finalists earned it by virtue of being in the top 4. The semantics of the bronze medal is just different. Here it means the 3rd and 4th place get bronze and when there is a match it means only the 3rd place gets the bronze medal. Of course, I have no problems in you having your preference of one semantics over the other.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I agree that "earn" shouldn't have been used. In hindsight, the terms looks derogatory towards the bronze medalists. I didn't mean it that way.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks for the clarification Varma. I have written loosely and gotten into trouble due to misinterpretations too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Varma wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:43 pm I don't understand why they can't have a bronze medal match between the 2 losing semi-finalists. Tennis used to follow the same rule in Olympics (just for a few editions) after it was re-introduced back in 1988. While this rule brought us a sure shot second medal (thru Saina), I would much rather have a decider to make the player earn it.
In the Olympics, badminton too has a play off for bronze medal. I am not sure why it is not there in the WC.

Overall, China won both the MD and WD gold medals and Indonesia won the mixed doubles, Japan and Denmark the singles golds.

We must get something going in doubles soon to increase the possibility of getting 2-3 medals in Olympics. Trying to get them only in singles is difficult.