Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals

Post by sameerph »

I would say in terms of achievement it is as good as 1983 world Cup win. Of course agree that this win was nowhere near as improbable as 1983 win. But, that does not make it a lesser achievement. Current Thomas cup field is mostly at similar level in terms of competition as cricket world Cup.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Jwala says Gopichand's claims are lies. Gopichand has been the original difference-maker in Indian badminton. His academy has been pivotal. That said, exaggerating and trying to claim all credit hints at some insecurity in him. I do not know why. Is it because he does not have as much as a monopoly? Lakshya came from the other academy and some of the top players like Saina ran afoul of him (and then again came back, right?). Anyway, we just say whatever. Maybe the right answer is: Say not what you have done for your country but what you can do for it. Better still, do it again and again and again ...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Gopichand has made a huge difference as coach, undoubtedly.
But his All-England title really shouldn't be equated with Prakash's. When Prakash won (1980), the All-England was still by far the most important badminton tournament in the world, and that year Prakash won what was then called the (calendar) Grand Slam of badminton -- including the Danish and French Opens (if I remember right). The European tournaments were a less important part of the calendar by the time Gopichand won (and he only won the All-England, not the others). The scoring system was also undergoing some radical overhauls in those years (11-point games, and best of 7 if I recall right).

But Gopi has been more successful than Prakash as a coach (albeit only marginally so).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Atithee wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:47 pm Really? Even our own forumite had predicted a 3-0 win. Or, at least its probability. Did anyone* even think that India will win the World Cup especially beat the mighty Windies in the final? Next they will “demand” plots, awards, and money. Of course, they should and will be recognized, but let’s not get carried away. Gopi can but he shouldn’t be making such statements.

* Actually, I think Kim Hughes had called India a dark horse before the tournament started. Yes, here is a link recalling that but also the unlikely final outcome.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles ... rds-811317
Agree fully. Even if Kim Hughes called India the "dark horses", that didn't mean he was predicting that India would win the World Cup! That was a totally improbable, and truly heroic, run that transformed the sport in India. The Thomas Cup victory is a huge achievement, but badminton isn't primarily a team sport. In badminton, PV Sindhu winning the world championship and Prakash winning its predecessor(s) -- World Cup (1981), All-England (1980) -- remain the crowning achievements, and the Thomas Cup triumph joins that august company now.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Saina's 2012 Olympic bronze was at least an achievement at par to Padukone's All-England win. India was just a more desperate nation in the latter's time.

There were world championships in Prakash's time and he lost in the QFs in 1980 and SFs in 1983. He was unlucky to be denied participation in the 1982 Asiad and was past his prime by 1986.

In terms of badminton achievements,
Tier 1 : Sindhu's WC gold, Sindhu's Olympic silver, Thomas Cup gold
Tier 2 : Saina's Olympic bronze, Sindhu's Olympic bronze, Padukone's AE win
Tier 3 : Sindhu's WC silvers, Saina's WC silver, Saina/Srikanth, Prakash getting to #1
Tier 4 : Srikanth's WC silver amongst many others
Tier 5 : Gopi's AE win amongst many others
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I would have to disagree somewhat. I don't think WCs matter all that much. I would rate All England higher.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

It’s one thing to say you’d rate All England badminton champion higher than a WC cricket win. It’s another to claim WC cricket win doesn’t matter all that much. Wow!
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Today in the badminton world even tournaments like the China Open, Indonesia Open and Denmark Open have higher or equal status compared to the All England. Nobody cares about English badminton any more. Badminton World Championship would rate far higher compared to these tournaments. So as an individual achievement Sindhu's world championship win would be the greatest achievement in Indian badminton and one of the greatest in Indian sport.