BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals

Post by prasen9 »

ornatebrute wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:32 pm That's not true actually. Lakshya Sen would be #3 and LZJ #2 if the BWF rankings weren't frozen. LS hadn't faced CTC before, but his loss against him yesterday was surprising. LZJ is in great form and hasn't lost a match since the All England SF (where he lost closely against LS only).
So, you are saying that he is underperforming (loss against CTC). Or are you saying the top two are CTC and LZJ and Axelsen, etc. should be lower ranked than him.

Admittedly, I do not follow badminton that closely beyond our players to know who is doing how and what would happen in an alternate rankings system. However, maybe the Chinese guy and maybe a few others are not playing a full schedule and thus they would be ranked slightly higher in a fair ranking scheme in a universe where there was no COVID?

Maybe you are correct but we will see. Anyway, he lost to two people already. We will see what happens against Denmark. So, at best he is playing like world #3 now.
ornatebrute
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ornatebrute »

That's correct. His loss against CTC was an "upset" based on their current form but should be give the benefit of doubt that CTC is a former #2 himself and LS never faced him before. His loss against LZJ was not that much of a surprise as LZJ is in hot form and is ranked higher than him but LS had beaten him in their previous meetings, so people expected him to win again.

As for today, Axelsen will go in as the sure favourite in MS1 with a 5-1 H2H. Anybody defeating Axelsen is going to be considered as a big upset, and LS has it in him to surprise us (fingers-crossed)!
The MD1 will set the tone for rest of the tie. We surely will be going with our SatChi pairing but the Danes have been experimenting with their scratch pairings splitting their top 10 pairing of Astrup/Rasmussen (who are 5-2 vs SatChi). We can still expect 1 point from one of the two doubles matches today.
MS2 most likely will be Kidambi vs Antonsen, H2H 2-4 in favour of AA, but KS won their last match and AA has not been in great form of late. Expecting a point from this rubber as well.
The final MS3 (if it gets till there) would be Prannoy vs Gemke or Vittinghus and honestly it could going either way.

All in all, India is probably in its best position to stir upsets. Our MD2 and MD3 pairing of Arjun/Kapila and Garaga/Panjala (and infact MD4 Ishaan/Saipratheek) seem to be of top 20 calibre but have been struggling to close the matches despite leading in most of their games :(
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thanks Sufyan (@ornatebrute) for the detailed analysis.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Then there is Momota, Ginting, and GZL. You are saying in the last year Lakshya has performed better than them? I know he beat GZL but don't know if he can consistently beat the likes of these. And, if Chen Long were to play a full schedule he would be worse?
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

Precisely. Momota was injured in a car crash in 2020 and he hasn't been the same after that. He has 2-1 H2H vs LS though, all from 2021 and the one he lost was at YEC courtesy a retirement. But after his Indonesian masters title last year, Momota went on to lose in R2 in Indonesian Open, retired from all the matches/withdrew at YEC, lose R1 in world championships, lose R1 in German Open, QF in England, R1 in Asian championships, and infact lost one of the RR matches in this Thomas Cup against LZJ as well. And LS has been in peak in all those tournaments. So effectively LS (#3) would be higher ranked than KM (#8) if BWF unfroze the rankings today but they've opted for a different system to unfreeze from July/August.
Ginting also would be out of top 10 (#11) as he hasn't made a final of any BWF tour event in last 1+ year. He infact lost all three matches in the RR despite playing as Indonesian #1. Jonathan Christie playing as #2 (but the real Indonesian #1 and real BWF #5) has been much better making a few finals and also winning the Swiss Open.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

1-1 now. Lakshya loses but Satwik-Chirag win a thrillier.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Srikanth wins it 21-18, 14-21, 21-16 against Antonsen.

We are up 2-1.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Why the hell aren't we playing Arjun-Kapila at #2 spot? They can't both be injured? I hope it's not because of some personality clash. Would not be the 1st time we made a bad decision in a team event.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, probably Arjun-Kapila would have lost too but it is always good to play you #2 team instead of #3 team unless #3 team has shown great potential.

Anyway, Krishnaprasad and Vishnu lose in straight games.

2-2. All upto Prannoy again today against Gemke this time.
indiansportsfan

I don't think they would have lost.The gap between them and the next pair is very wide, and my belief is they would have won this game rather easily.
indiansportsfan

We won!! :bounce: :bounce:
Now i hope they play Arjun-Kapila tomorrow, and I think we can pull it off.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Wow, amazing win by team India!

Indonesia has very strong doubles teams, so the onus will be on our singles players to win at least 2 matches with Satwik-Chirag pulling off an upset. It's a long shot but we do have a realistic chance to win.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Superb performance. :bounce: :bounce:

Srikanth and Prannoy have been stars so far winning 5 out 5 matches and Satsik-Chirag have delivered when it materred most in last 2 matches.
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

Great victory today! Just as we hoped for (and sort of expected). If our players play to their potential, we might win 3-0 also tomorrow (Touchwood).
LS has no business losing to Ginting tomorrow.
Indonesian captain Setiawan (one of the "daddies") is resting himself and using their scratch pairing of Ahsan (the other daddy) and Sukamulijo (one of the minions), and it has paid dividends! Since Gideon (the other minion) is out due to injury, it's a golden chance for SatChi to defeat Ahsan/Sukamulijo (interestingly, they have beaten this scratch pair in 2018 Asian Team Championships!). I think SatChi are 0-11 vs the minions otherwise and haven't won a single set against them. So I'm glad we are not going to face them xD.
If, however, the daddies decide to play as MD1 for Indonesia it can be tricky. SatChi are 2-3 against them but won their last meeting this year at India Open finals. MD1 will be very crucial once again.
Srikanth is 4-5 vs Christie. And has lost both his matches against JC this year. But I sincerely believe that he CAN win it for us tomorrow.
It's tough to expect out MD2 to win but I'm sure Dhruv/Arjun will be played tomorrow if they're not injured. (And no, I do NOT think they'd have won the rubber today instead of Garaga/Panjala either, Rasmussen/Søgaard are a scratch combo and that's why unranked, but their quality and confidence couldn't have been matched).
Prannoy, like Kidambi, is undefeated 5-0 in this Thomas Cup. He'll be up against Vito - who surprisingly is undefeated in the history of Thomas Cup! Vito has stepped up for Indonesia on many occasions including the 2021 season to seal the deal. HSP had a tumble today at the halftime of first set lagging 4-11. His movement seemed a little cautious, but boi, he absolutely became a monster with his precision play and placement. He loves to be the snowman and he will definitely give his absolute best if needed tomorrow as well.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks Sufyan for that analysis. I think final is on Sunday. So, gives one more day for Prannoy to recover.