Saina Nehwal Thread - WR#1 on April 2,2015

Moderator: Moderators

kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Saina Nehwal Thread - WR#1 on April 2,2015

Post by kujo »

Congratulations to Saina for the silver medal in the BWF championships!! :clap: :dance:

Once again, Saina is back to being number 1 ranked in Badminton. :notworthy:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

This is an excellent piece on what Saina needs to do to break the jink against the Taiwanese Tai Tzu Ying.

Trick question: What is it about Tai Tzu Ying that bothers Saina Nehwal?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Saina Nehwal today won 10th super series title of her career when she won the Australian open title beating Intanon and 2 Chinese, Yihan Wang and Sun Yu on the way.
This was her first superseries title after the Indian open March 2015. So, she will be relived to be getting back to form at this stage a couple of months away from Olympics.

What this girl has achieved in badminton for India is something amazing. We did not have anyone among women winning a singles super series title before she arrived and now she has 10 only on her own name. Even Sindhu will all her promise is yet to win one.

She can now probably be truly called India's greatest ever badminton player ahead of Gopichand and Prakash Padukone if there was any doubt about that earlier.

And she still has a few years left in her to add to those achievements.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote:Saina Nehwal today won 10th super series title of her career when she won the Australian open title beating Intanon and 2 Chinese, Yihan Wang and Sun Yu on the way.
This was her first superseries title after the Indian open March 2015. So, she will be relived to be getting back to form at this stage a couple of months away from Olympics.

What this girl has achieved in badminton for India is something amazing. We did not have anyone among women winning a singles super series title before she arrived and now she has 10 only on her own name. Even Sindhu will all her promise is yet to win one.

She can now probably be truly called India's greatest ever badminton player ahead of Gopichand and Prakash Padukone if there was any doubt about that earlier.

And she still has a few years left in her to add to those achievements.
She was ranked behind Padukone in some recent poll I saw.

I concur with you in that she is clearly India's greatest ever badminton player by some distance.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, for longevity she is likely our greatest. However, for a short period, Prakash was likely a more dominant player than Saina has been. I recall Prakash winning both the world championship and All-England in one year which were the 2 most important titles of that time. In today's equivalent, Saina would likely need to win both the Olympic gold and the world championship, which she hopefully will do this year.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

arjun2761 wrote:Yes, for longevity she is likely our greatest. However, for a short period, Prakash was likely a more dominant player than Saina has been. I recall Prakash winning both the world championship and All-England in one year which were the 2 most important titles of that time. In today's equivalent, Saina would likely need to win both the Olympic gold and the world championship, which she hopefully will do this year.
I had the same impression and checked Prakash's record. He won the All England in 1980 but his best performance at the world championships came 3 years later with a bronze in 1983. Saina beat the latter with a silver last year.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Wonderful to see Saina get back to the pinnacle of Badminton again. She deserves it more than anyone else. She fought against the system in an indirect way. I have tremendous amount of respect for Gopi. Not only is he solely responsible for generating so many champions and world class players, but he also did put a lot of emphasis on building infrastructure and personally did lot of talent scounting to groom future stars. Look at the number of Top-100 players we have today! He has become a stalwart who had built his own empire from scratch. With this background, it is not easy to part with Gopi and work against the odds. She did what she needed to and worked extra hard with Vimal to reach where she is today. I hope to see this rivalry between Vimal and Gopi grow healthy so that we see more future champions. Gopi has a strong hold in administration too, but I have faith in him to not abuse it. Time and again he had shown his unselfish character to help Indian Badminton grow. Hope to see that continue for a long time.

Cheers to Saina for reaching the top again!

- Varma
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Sin Hombre wrote:
arjun2761 wrote:Yes, for longevity she is likely our greatest. However, for a short period, Prakash was likely a more dominant player than Saina has been. I recall Prakash winning both the world championship and All-England in one year which were the 2 most important titles of that time. In today's equivalent, Saina would likely need to win both the Olympic gold and the world championship, which she hopefully will do this year.
I had the same impression and checked Prakash's record. He won the All England in 1980 but his best performance at the world championships came 3 years later with a bronze in 1983. Saina beat the latter with a silver last year.
Comparison's across generations are pretty hard and speculative especially since competitive/professional badminton doesn't have the history of tennis, golf, or baseball (and the debates in those sports are also vigorous). During Prakash's peak years of 1980-83, the "World Championship" was a once-every-3-years event, so perhaps it compares best with the Olympics badminton title now. There was an annual "World Cup" in which all the best players participated (and that perhaps best compares to the annual World Championship now) and Prakash won that in 1981 and at one time held both the All-England and World Cup titles which were the 2 most prestigious titles of that time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Saina is now back to World #5 slowly creeping back up the rankings after a brief slide mainly due to her injury break, I think.

She is behind Marin, the 2 Chinese- Li Xurei and Yihan Wang and Thai Intanon. Chinese badminton association is yet to name it's team for the Rio Olympics. If by any chance they select their no.3 player Shixian Wang ( who is ranked 8th in the world) over Yihan Wang, Saina will be seeded 4 in the Olympics. If not she is likely to be seeded 5th. In that case,if she overcomes her earlier hurdles, she will meet one of the top 4 in the QF which will be big task in search of repeat medal at Rio.

It looks Sindhu will be seeded 9th which would mean she will run into a top 8 players in PQF itself.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Saina will be having a surgery tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/NSaina/status/76667 ... 60/photo/1
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sad for this to come for her at this time just before Olympics. In Australian open badminton a couple of month ago she had looked in supreme form and I had thought that she had a real chance for gold this time. Not to be.

Hope for speedy recovery for her from the surgery.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Posting someone's medical diagnosis on the web makes me uncomfortable. I understand we didn't originate it, but do we really need to carry it on these boards?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Funny thing is, it originated from Saina's own twitter account! She wants the public to see it!! Oh well.. :roll:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Probably she wants to make sure that public becomes fully aware that she was indeed injured and not making excuses. Lot of people were making uncharitable comments on social networks after her loss.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

If she herself posted it on her twitter, we will leave it up here. Mod, Jay