Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Saina Nehwal Thread (Singapore Open)

Post by Sandeep »

It is very very hard to find news articles on Saina Nehwal. After a long time I found one. Saina Nehwal joins the select band of youngsters, to be honoured by Badminton 45. She won RK Aggrawal Memorial award for being the current junior national girls champion. Way to go Saina. I am eagerly waiting for you to display your genius at international level.

http://ww1.mid-day.com/sports/local/200 ... 106484.htm
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks, sandeep! .. I am also keeping an eye out for Saina news, but not much coming out lately.

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Last edited by Sandeep on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

An old old news on Sania.
Wow. A spelling error by the ever vigilant Sandeep. :eek: :D
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

:oops: :oops: . Probably thinking too much about Sania :D .

But thanks Bsharma for pointing out my stupid error. And this happened after Jay in the same thread posted about confusion in names. Shame Shame :oops: :D .
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Saina won a treble in the recently concluded Badminton junior national championships. She won U-19 singles, doubles and U-16 Singles titles.

http://newstodaynet.com/13jun/cs3.htm

I don't know why is she still playing all these juniors tourneys. She has been winning all the junior tourneys for the past 2 years.
Last edited by Sandeep on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

She won U-10 singles, doubles and U-16 Singles titles.
Sandeep, you seem to get lost when you are writing about Saina. :D I am sure you wanted to write U-19 and not U-10.

She may be playing the junior tournaments simply to stay in shape or get match experience. Is there anyone in India who will sponsor her to play international level tournaments?
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Oops sorry, it was U-19 and not U-10. I edited it.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

God!!! I am fed up seeing the names of Aparna Balan and saina Nehwal in the finals :damn: . This is a customary clash in the finals for past 2 to 3 years. All the times the matches are one sided and Saina wins the trophy with authority, but she never will be top seed. Difficult to understand. Aparna Balan is always a top seed in Junior tournaments :roll:

Saina Nehwal is into semifinals of U-16 age category too.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/06/18/stories ... 661800.htm

Earlier it used to be Saina Vs Aparna Balan clash in both U-16 and U-19's , I guess Aparna Balan crossed the U-16 age limit. She no more is participating in U-16 age group.

Strange thing is these both girls are partners in doubles too and win all the trophis they participate :damn:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Saina Nehawal wins another triple crown.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/06/19/stories ... 171600.htm

All the matches are won by her with ridiculous ease. She just seems way too ahead of others at this level & should stop competing at this level.

This is the time when she should get some top level coaching as she seems to be the best talent in Indian Badminton in long time.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

All the matches are won by her with ridiculous ease. She just seems way too ahead of others at this level & should stop competing at this level.
Well, I suggested the same but Bsharma came up with a good reason on why she is still playing Juniors . Agree with him, match practise is very important.
This is the time when she should get some top level coaching as she seems to be the best talent in Indian Badminton in long time.
This is something I wouldn't worry much about. She is already into the hands of an excellent coach (Arif). She lives in Hyderabad and as we all know, there is Gopichand and his academy to guide her. Then ofcourse Hyderabad has excellent sporting facilities too.
vishnureddy

Post by vishnureddy »

No i don't think she has to worry about sponsors as i think she already has a sponsor or used to have . I remember her watching sometime back in the indoor stadium near SAAP Courts in Hyd and she represented some public sector company ( Indian Oil i think) and she won some event there and she even mentioned that she can concentrate on her game without any worries due to that sponsor. Didn't know she was that good then as i don't follow Badminton that much . Damn.. i learnt my lesson .. will always contact the resident talent spotter of our forum whenever i go to any obscure sporting event from now on:)

Even if she has no sponsers , she can start playing in senior events in India . She seems to be too good for Junior events
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I wish that Saina plays more matches against quality opponents rather than easily winning through U-18 field. However, playing in tournaments will keep her in good physical and mental shape (in comparison with not playing in tournaments).

Someone should help her to travel abroad and play against world level players of her age. She will stagnate in India unless she goes out and play in lots of international tournaments.

People in India complain about lack of talent and we have Saina and quite a few highly talented junior squash players and they are not getting the right exposure.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

As I said earlier I am not worried much about Saina. She is in very good hands. Arif is a classic coach.

Gopichand also started an academy where in he employed some foreign coaches too. I am sure Saina will make use of them.

And as Vishnu mentioned she doesn't have problem with sponsors too.

And coming to competetion, probably she should practise with men. There are excellent players (men) who practise in Hyderabad, Chetan Anand, Vidyadhar, Prithvi and ofcourse Gopichand etc. I mean, seriously what more you need. Ofcourse international exposure is important, but I guess you can manage without that too unlike some sports like tennis, squash etc

It is just matter of time before she becomes a great player :D