Boston Marathon 2012 -- blasts

This forum is to post any breaking news and news articles

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Boston Marathon 2012 -- blasts

Post by Atithee »

Wishing the best to all the forum members and their loved ones during this tragic time.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Boston Marathon 2012 -- blasts

Post by suresh »

It was horrible news to wake up to. My sympathies and commiserations are with those affected by the blasts. The timing of the blasts to sync with the four hour mark when (I think) the largest group of finishers arrive is scary, to say the least.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

As someone who considers Boston my home city in this country, I am chagrined. I have stood on that very sidewalk to watch the marathon in years past. Thankful that my friends who were running in & watching the marathon are fine, but my heart goes out to those who are not.
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

Its a wretched feeling to be in 2 cities within 3 months that had to undergo this trauma. And the aftermath and the stories of families who have lost dear ones is even worse....

May there be some compassion in those souls who does and plan to do such heinous things....

Sent from my NexusHD2 Using ForumTouch for Android
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Based on the initial reports (could be false; cannot trust CNN), the suspects seem to be from Chechnya. I am not entirely sure but I think Chechnya's population is predominantly Muslim. I also know some of the history behind Russia Chechnya conflict (and the two wars) but I thought the conflict subsided in recent years. I am not entirely sure what Chechnya has against America. I need a history lesson here.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

My impression (and I'm most definitely not a history expert): the first Chechen uprising was a matter of an oppressed population rising up against the Russian overlords. The second & more recent Chechen uprising is almost entirely an Islamic uprising. So while Russia remains the major enemy, the radical Chechen elements are allied with radical Islamism everywhere.
suresh

Post by suresh »

However, the connection between Chechnya and these two bombers seems tenuous at this moment. Hopefully, it will get clarified now that they have got one of them alive.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

They have caught one of them alive. The 19 yr old. The older brother who died, seems to have had more of a terrorist footprint though, as he is supposed to have gone way too religious in the last 5 years. Seems to have been abroad, probably had also got some training somewhere, and been brainwashed that killing people will get him to heaven. They say that the bombs they detonated with pretty good timing are apparently not all that easy to put together, especially the detonating device etc. Not the kind that would work the first time, despite all the TV talk about how the recipes are all online. Probably got training somewhere.

Yes, this may have nothing to do with Chechnya issues per se. But there probably is some foreign connection and extremist religious angles involved in this too.

Jay
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

gbelday wrote:Based on the initial reports (could be false; cannot trust CNN), the suspects seem to be from Chechnya. I am not entirely sure but I think Chechnya's population is predominantly Muslim. I also know some of the history behind Russia Chechnya conflict (and the two wars) but I thought the conflict subsided in recent years. I am not entirely sure what Chechnya has against America. I need a history lesson here.
There is a significant number of Chechens who have been immersed in the Islamic fight against who they perceive as oppressed muslims everywhere. These Islamic ideologues generally see the US, Israel, and India as their primary global enemies although clearly the Russians were the most direct enemies of the Chechens. Someone that I know in the Indian security operations told me (a few years ago) that he had questioned at least one or two Chechens who had infiltrated into Kashmir as Kashmir is (or at least was) a popular training ground for many of them.