Imposition of Hindi... Pros/Cons of Diversity

This forum is to post any breaking news and news articles

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Imposition of Hindi... Pros/Cons of Diversity

Post by prasen9 »

Wow. That is good. I tried broken French in Paris and they either had no clue or were annoyed at my butchering the pronunciation. In Montreal, I just spoke in English. I have forgotten the little French that I tried to learn before my Paris trip, maybe 15 years ago.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

This is a humorous summary of the place of French in Canada.

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
srini

Post by srini »

If not for the dearth of active topics so close to Olympics, i wouldn't have chanced upon this thread. Coming to Pros/Cons of Diversity i would like to give my own personal experience as some one who tasted a bit of both worlds. I came to USA as a Masters student in 2000, stayed there for 10 years and returned to India. One of the reasons i returned was, though USA had the comfort of homogeneity, the comfort of knowing the language that can be used going to any corner of the country etc, it started feeling monotonous and boring at some point. That's probably because USA had this inherent nature of assimilating anyone or anything that landed there. Though people who immigrate to USA are far more diverse than the ones that live in India, it doesn't stay that way for ever...in a very short span of time like 2-3 years they get assimilated (sic:' sucked into' is probably better word) into main stream and before they knew would start behaving more American than the residents who were born and raised there. In my case i felt a part of me was missing and 10 years started feeling like a lifetime. Its not just people, USA doesn't spare food either, with different restaurants of different cuisines serving food that can hardly be called authentic- be it Mexican,Italian or Chinese.

Now 10 years after i returned, i am glad i made the decision to return with all the spice and colors returned in my life. When i travel by train, it amazes me how gradually the language spoken within the rail compartment makes the transition when moving into a new state.

So when these BJP guys try to kill this diversity with their ONE nation ONE market, ONE Flag, ONE tax, ONE law, ONE language (what else Hindi!!) basically ONE of every damn thing they see, that drives me crazy. Coming to imposition of Hindi i feel 80's were different as Jay mentioned where everyone was forced to watch DD due to lack of any other channels, it would have been easier to get away with that imposition. But now with far more options/choices available in television programming content, people do not seem to get to listen to as much Hindi as they used to in 80's. Remember those days? when Cricket commentary used to happen both in English and Hindi,'gend tappa kakkar oonchi uthi' etc kind of usage was not uncommon in those days and would have be understood by people of my gen. My young son who now listens to commentary in Telugu may not understand what it means now. So i think there would be far more opposition to imposition of any language not only Hindi but other local state languages if they try to force-feed it for people using their mother tongue.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Diverse perspectives on diversity. Very interesting to read. Thanks for sharing.

(And here I thought Diversity is a double University! :p )