India's major sporting achievements in 2004

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Junior Asian hockey champions. India beats Pakistan (in Pakistan) in the final, 5-2 (what a score! Sandeep Singh 2 goals, Tushar Khandekar 3 in the final; Sandeep Singh topscorer in the tournament with 16 goals).
kathiresan_v

Anand Wins CHess Oscar

Post by kathiresan_v »

Vishwanathan Anand wins the Chess Oscar for the third time, the games most prestigeous annual award.

Kathir
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Olympic silver medal in Double Trap shooting for Major Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
woohoo :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

World junior chess champion, P Harikrishna.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1041201/a ... 071280.asp

Also noteworthy, was that Eesha Karavade finished third (second on points, but officially ranked third on other criteria) among the junior women. Perhaps even more interesting, there were FOUR Indian women who finished in the top-10 of the junior women's world championship. The top-ranked Indian junior woman player, Koneru Humpy, played on the men's side (and finished a creditable 10th).
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

I feel it is high time for us to to change this thread to major sporting achievements in 2005.

I also would like to see a thread which focusses on young talent found in India. There are quite few young people in India who definitely needs recognition, but do not have enough achievements so that we can start a thread. If we can name some thread for these people and stick it then it would be a great idea. All the members must be knowing atleast some kind of young talent fromt heir local towns or cities who have some kind of achievements and whom they expect to be good sportspersons in future. They can just name them in this young talent thread and hopefully who ever is interested will follow them.

There are players like poonam reddy, rayudu, dhawan, chetan anand, rohit etc who deserve some recognition but do not have enough achievements to start thread. Hope moderators will soon start a thread and stick it.
PKBasu

Re: Hi

Post by PKBasu »

nothingnew wrote:I feel it is high time for us to to change this thread to major sporting achievements in 2005.
There already is such a thread. Why do you dash off these demands without looking around and smelling the coffee?
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

BASU saheb it was you and not me who dashed off. Respected sir, after I posted the above message Bsharma started that 2005 thread. Very bad time for me. With out any reason everyone is pointing fingers at me, so far Jay and now you joined in the party :D . I never thought at the age of 40 you still have so much of aggression left in you :-~ . You could have atleast looked at the date when I posted that and looked at when 2005 thread was startes. Or atleast read the first post of 2005 thread by Bsharma. Bsharma, You have to interfere and set the things right :D . I demand an apology from PKBASU, failing which i have to go to court for charging me with wrong allegations. :) . I hope our judge Jay will be Impartial in giving out his Judgement atleast this time :D .
Giuseppe Anselmo

Post by Giuseppe Anselmo »

ehm...sorry for my question....but......are an italian team of hokcey? and, if yes, what's its livel?
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Hey I think you have to read the guide on how to post in this forum. This is not hockey thread. You have to post any question regarding hockey in hockey thread. And boy, I am afraid that you will not find much information about Italian hockey here. Yes probably some one would answer your question on Italian hockey, but not much information available on them in this forum. We discuss mainly about Indian sports. But you are welcome to join and discuss with us. I never heard of Italian hockey team.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Welcome Giuseppe Anselmo.
ehm...sorry for my question....but......are an italian team of hokcey? and, if yes, what's its livel?
Italy was ranked 22nd in the world in men's hockey in 2003. Rome, Italy will host the European Nations' Cup tournament in August 2005.

The women's team of Italy has done better than the men and was ranked 20th in 2003. Here is a glimpse of the performance of the women's team from last year.

Italy 4 - 3 Czech Republic
Italy 3 - 0 France
Austria 0 - 1 Italy
Belgium 3 - 3 Italy

I will move the posts about hockey to the hockey thread later on.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Apologies to nothingnew. I should have noticed the date of his post. But now that 2004 is well behind us, it's probably a good idea to lock this thread...
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

HI

Post by Sandeep »

Now thats like PKBASU. Even I agree that we have to lock this or delete this and collect all worldclass achievements into one single thread. If we keep on locking thread say by 2015 we will be having some 10 to 12 threads only on achievements. It is better as soon as we finish year we can merge the thread into one single thread.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

It is easier to follow the grand achievements of Indian athletes when they are listed year by year. If you lump all of them together then it ia harder to find a particular achievement of a certain year.

I will lock this thread as suggested by PKB and Sandeep. :)