2003 -- What a year for Indian sport!

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

It's good to see that even a pessimist expects a couple of medals, including a possible tennis gold. In the whole history of India's participation in the Olympics, only hockey has brought us golds (1928, '32, '36, '48, '52, '56, '64, '80) and we've won individual bronzes in wrestling (KD Jadhav '52), tennis (Leander Paes '96) and weightlifting (Karnam Malleswari '00). Clearly Athens looks to be the coming out party for Indian sport.
I continue to predict that we will be in the men's hockey final in Athens. Whether it is gold or silver we win will be determined by how we play the final 10 minutes of the final. Hopefully Dhanraj will have been rested sufficiently during the course of the match and will be on the field directing play throughout the final 10 minutes...
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I am just surprised Prasen calls himself a realist after predicting that India might win couple of medals (athletics, weight lifting and gold in tennis). I would call him optimist.

Guys I am not pessimist, but an Indian and as an Indian predicting even one medal seems very optimistic to me!!!! :wink:

I wonder what PK Basu will call me though (ultra - pessimist).

Hope is another thing though. I hope that India wins atleast 4 gold medals (tennis, shooting, hockey and athletics) and enter double digits in medal count!!!!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kumar, maybe we'll call you an ultra-realist, or simply a typically skeptical Indian. Those of us who live overseas do tend to see all the good that is happening in India -- especially compared to the past and the competition. I largely agree with Anonymous1
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I notice from another thread that Kumar lives in Oregon. I hope the next year of sporting achievement will help to trump his skepticism.
nitin gupta

Post by nitin gupta »

indian olympic campaign gor athens really look better than previous years.hocky is always potential gold medal winner.leander,before his set back,went on record,that mahesh and he ,had the best chance of winning an indian gold.that is the biggest motivation that is driving leander.if he is fit,there is very good chance of india picking up tennis doubles gold.anju george and anjali bhagwat and our women wt. lifter all have good chances of winning medals.somehow i have a feeling that indian sport is on the up and if our corporate giants can see beyond cricket,things will be rosy by the end of this decade.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I agree with Anonymous1 too. The key word here is HOPE (along with prayers). But prediction is a differnt matter. When it comes to india and olympics medals, if something can go wrong it will. I have been seeing this for past 20 years (starting from 1984 olympiad).

When Ramesh and LP played together in olympics (1992?), I was so confident that they would win a medal, but who did they run into in QF? They ran into Woodies or Dutch Team ... Same with Indian express last time around.

But I still HOPE and PRAY that this year be different and our athletes can home with atleast 5 Gold medals and total of 10 medals.
I notice from another thread that Kumar lives in Oregon. I hope the next year of sporting achievement will help to trump his skepticism.
ME TOO .
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ramesh hardly ever played pro doubles (although he could be a pretty skilled doubles player, as his reflexes and volley were very good; he showed his skill by winning the Wimbledon over-35 doubles title with Jeremy Bates a few years ago). But at the 1992 Olympics, he and Leander actually beat the Woodies in the doubles and only lost in the quarters. That was actually a huge surprise run, because Leander was not quite established then as a pro (singles or doubles). He only reached the USO doubles semi (with Lareau) the following year. Otherwise, I agree that India has often disappointed in the past. But after this year's slew of sporting achievements, the chances of multiple medals at the next Olympics is better than ever before.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We could two more strings to the bow of Indian sporting achievement this year:
Vishwanathan Anand- World Rapid Chess champion
India Under-19 cricket team -- Asian champions (Irfan Pathan man of the tournament)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I like Anjali Bhagwat's spirit. She is, quite justifiably, focused on nothing but gold in Athens:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2003/nov/23anjali.htm
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

See Kathir's post in the Athens 2004 Olympics thread and my note in the Indian boxing thread about the performance of the Indian women in the 2nd Asian Boxing Championship. The Indian team finished second to North Korea, and China finished third. India has a world champion and five Asian champions.

Medal standings: (gold, silver, bronze)
North Korea 6-2-1; India 5-4-4; China 2-3-4;
david

Post by david »

Anonymous1, you misseed to name Anju Bobby George.

Good potential for a medal if she can touch 7m
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

I think India has their best chance of winning more than 1 medal in this olympics (I guess since 1952).
Anonymous.what was so great about 1952?

What a year for indian sport----you can add winning the commenwealth games bid as the biggest achievmenti n my opinion!
nayan

Post by nayan »

We won 2 medals in the 1952 Olympics. One for hockey and another for wrestling (K D Jadhav).