Harsh Mankad thread -upto July 2005

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by amr090 »

man i think ahrsh might be doing a little too much playing doubles right now. I wish he'd just focus on singles till this year is over. He cant afford to get too tired...playing top caliber guys like Voltchkov, or Baghdatis you need to be at 100% to win.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I agree with Arun about Harsh taking a little off from his doubles schedule. I do not know if he has to play doubles to get free room and board or some other perk, but right now his singles career is at a cross-road and I wish if he can concentrate more on the singles.

My two cents worth. :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Actually Harsh has played doubles only rather judiciously. Only 17 weeks of doubles in the last whole year. 10 weeks this calendar year

That is a very fair number, compared to 24 weeks of singles in the whole year and 14 weeks this calendar year.

He has 57 points falling off in the next 4 weeks (22 next monday and 35 on Aug 1st). I think it may be the right time to play a couple of weeks of doubles over this 4 weeks stretch, especially when he has a partner you are comfortable with.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

I just feel like this is the home stretch the next 2-3 months or so, and if he really wants to make a dent into that singles ranking and close to the top 150 in the world hes going to have to be at his freshest. Getting into the 150 range means consistently getting into the qfs, semis and finals of 25 and 50k challengers. ANd if he goes that deep the quality of players he will be playing is going to be extremely high...and most of these guys are going to be bona fide singles only players so i dunno hopefully he doesnt play doubles in the next tournament at least.

If he beats hilton, then its possibly 2 doubles matches tomorrow then Rettenmaier or Stakhovski on Friday. That much tennis can tire anyone, even the now supremely fit Harsh.

I for one wouldnt be too upset if they lost in the 1st round of doubles :devil:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Jay,

I think that Arun and I are concerned about Harsh playing doubles this week and next week. As Arun has written, Harsh will have to go deep in singles at the Challengers to get his ranking in the top 150 or close to 100, and doubles can make him tired to win the close singles matches.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The key is to play when you are fresh and then skip when you are not. If he plays a lot this week, he can skip next week's doubles. If he is fine the week after, he plays doubles the week after. It would not be right to skip doubles in the first week of a stretch.

Doubles is really not THAT tiring or anything, unless you play some 7-8 matches in a two week stretch (a final and an SF in successive weeks) - even that would only be equivalent to playing 2 to 3 extra singles matches. You don't run much and you don't serve hard much in doubles to get all that tired. It basically replaces some light hitting singles practice they normally do on those weeks.

The key is not to play too many long 3-setters in doubles. It gets tiring once you are out there more than an hour and 30 minutes (which replaces some practice hitting time). That is, you should play with the right players with a chance to pull off easier wins.

.. And normally you will get a walkover every 5 or 6 matches, and you will find the other team trying to tank and lose every 3 matches or so, also! .. So play doubles a bit, and it is not a problem to do it 2 out of 3 weeks like HM has been doing.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Hmm, perhaps you're right. i mean if it just replaces light hitting, then it should be fine. But my worry is knowing Harsh as the competitor he is hes the kind of guy that goes all out and doesnt just relax on the court.

i'm just afraid he might get tired out like Bofors did during the satellite. In my mind the biggest reason he failed to win the satellite is because he played way too many doubles matches and then ran out of gas when it came time for the singles. According to Hindu reports, the guy was visibly tired. Now HM is no Bofors and hes in much better shape obviously and hasnt had a long injury lay off, but too many matches can tire you out mentally and physically.

Anyways, Harsh knows what's best, so hopefully this current strategy works for him.

On another note Harsh plays Hilton first match on Court 4 tomorrow at 11 am london time.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I m agree with Jay ... In first week he should play, if as Jay mentioned he goes deep into the tournament (like winning this challenger ... :devil:) he can skip doubles in next week ... Spending more time on courts give player fair idea of court bounce and these heavy balls ... Bofors wasn't (and i feel still isn't) fully physically match fit in Indian satellites ... More over extreme heat take toll on him ... But thats not the case in UK, so nothing worry of Harsh is playing doubles with his Singles assignments.

Jaydeep.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Harsh is NOT playing doubles in Manchester. I think I've mentioned this earlier in this thread: the reason being, he needs to take a long flight to California for the Tarzana Challenger and therefore does not want to stay in Manchester longer than necessary. Next week, therefore, he will concentrate on singles.
I spoke to him earlier today and he mentioned that they were up 6-4, 1-1 in their R1 doubles match. It will be a long day today, but I think he's in good shape for the key singles match against Hilton.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I hope that the leg pain of Harsh is minor and will heal soon.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Had planned to go upto Manchester to see Harsh this weekend but had to work today so plan got cancelled. Disappointing to say the least. His leg is still bad and he hasn't been able to practice.
Varma

Post by Varma »

It's rather worrisome that Harsh hasn't recovered to resume his practice. It doesn't make much sense taking the risk of playing Manchester. It is almost Sunday there and he should skip it and head to sunny S.Calif.

Jay, when is Harsh arriving in LA? I mean, according to his original schedule.

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Agree with Varma ... Considering his busy hard court schedule, Harsh should take care of these injuries ... And rather than risking should skip this Manchester Challenger and be in South California.

Jaydeep.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Harsh is mature enough to take the right decision. Without knowing the extent and status of his injury, one cannot decide whether he should skip Manchester or not. There is also the matter of giving up opportunities for points and earning potential by skipping tournaments. He will make the right decision on whether he will play the tournament or not depending upon his body that he understands best. I have not seen Harsh be bone-headed and rush into match play without recovering fully from an injury before it is fully healed and he will once again make the right decision.

-pm
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Congrats to Harsh who moves up 4 spots to reach a career high #237 in the world on the realease of this weeks rankings!

Hope you feel better and keep it going Harsh!