India's major sporting achievements in 2005

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
India1989
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by India1989 »

Nice to hear that. ANyways Manipuris are so great in many sports. yes they are I am not joking. Trust me they are.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Mangte Chungneijang Merykom was not the sole medal winner at the World Women's Boxing Championships. Kalpana Choudhary (50 kg), L Sarita Devi (54 kg) and Aswathy Mol (70 kg) and Jyotsana (86 kg) won bronze medals.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I know this item does not quite fit our strict criteria for major sporting achievements.

But 2005 will go down in Indian sporting history as the year in which Indian women's tennis came of age.
Sania Mirza first made the last-32 stage of the Australian Open at the beginning of the year (becoming the first Indian woman to get that far in a tennis major) and then made the last-16 stage of the US Open (the first Indian woman to achieve that too, and the farthest any Indian singles player -- man or woman -- had reached in a tennis Slam in 18 years).
Then Shikha and Neha Uberoi reached two consecutive doubles finals on the WTA tour -- in Kolkata and Guangzhou (ie, the cities that were called Calcutta and Canton not so long ago). That made them the first fully-Indian women's pair to make two consecutive tour finals ever. (I know Neha is not yet technically representing India, but there is little doubt that she is an Indian, to me and the majority of members of this forum).
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

PKBasu wrote:I know this item does not quite fit our strict criteria for major sporting achievements.

But 2005 will go down in Indian sporting history as the year in which Indian women's tennis came of age.
That made them the first fully-Indian women's pair to make two consecutive tour finals ever. (I know Neha is not yet technically representing India, but there is little doubt that she is an Indian, to me and the majority of members of this forum).
Majority .. maybe
BUT NOT UNANIMOUS