Davis Cup 2005 (WG playoff vs SWE in India!)

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I agree with that line-up. Strong competition between Sunil Kumar Sipaeya and Prakash Amritraj for the #4 slot in the team. Sunil is actually ranked higher at the moment, but I think almost all his points (apart from the Uzbekistan challenger semifinal) come from events in India.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I believe we'll play the winner of the Indonesia-Uzbekistan tie. So we continue to avoid playing Thailand...
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes we should do that .. But anyone knows LP's availability becoz he was suppose to declare his decision in first week of February ... Hopefully he will play Davis Cup matches.

Jaydeep.
sramu

Post by sramu »

Regardless where the points came from - India, Wild cards etc. The number 1 player should get a look in - so in my opinion Sunil should be the 4th. But I won't be surprised if Prakash is chosen ahead as the 4th. Like someone said who will dare to drop an Amritraj ?
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

yes sramu , i agree with you
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Well, at this point the question is who is healthy. Prakash was injured and withdrew from events recently. SKS has withdrawn from the next few weeks too - though I have not heard he is in bad injury trouble (though he is frequently down). Somdev is out injured for now. LP will hopefully play by the Feb 14th week. Karan hopefully is fine. Harsh will hopefully come back fine from GBR.

Let us see; in a couple of weeks we may have a better idea.

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sunil might just be resting. With PA injured, I would have Sunil and Harsh as the other two. Karan needs a bit more of maturing.

-pm
kiran r more

Post by kiran r more »

Well,I think this is a very good chance for the association to give our players a platform to groom for the future.There should not be any problem in selecting six players ,as the tie is in Delhi.Ofcourse,only four will be in the final team ,but other two players can be part of the team as reserve.The undisputed six members should be

Leander,Mahesh,Harsh,Prakash,Sunil and Karan.

Captain should be authorised to select final four,just before the dead line, depending upon various factors,like physical fitness,injury problems,match fitness ,experience and suitability of the game to play on grass.All the players should report on Monday and then the Captain will have 2-3 days to decide about the final team and his choice about the second singles player.

Just for the sake of discussion

Prakash has the best game suitable for grass.He has a typical serve and volley game,with a huge serve.He served the fastest at chennai.However,he has withdrawn from tournaments due to injuries.So physical fitness and match fitness can be problems for him.I dont know where he is playing next few weeks.But if he is fit by first week of march then he should play 2nd singles.

Harsh has a solid game and good temperament.He is physically fit,free from injuries and is playing UK SATELLITE- so is match fit also.In case Prakash is not fit,then Harsh is the obvious choice for the 2nd singles.

Sunil is our no one player.But the ranking does not mean anything for DAVIS CUP SELECTION.Leander has no ranking but he is our undisputed no one.And then there is hardly any difference in the rankings of Sunil,Harsh and Prakash.Prakash and Harsh have good experience of DAVIS CUP and should be preferred over Sunil.

The case of Karan is unique.In ranking he is no where close to other guys.But he has been playing great for the last few months.The fact that recently he defeated Sunil twice -in st. sets and also that he is the only Indian who came close to beating that invincible Greul-put Karan in a different class.But he is inexperienced and playing him in a live rubber will be pre mature.

The best course will be to play Prakash or Harsh in 2nd singles and keep Karan as the 4th player.In case tie is decided in third or 4th match Karan can be played in the dead rubber to give him some experience of a davis cup match.

Leander had given a statement that he no more wants to play singles.But he is forced to play,because other players are not yet ready to take the mantle from him.I hope one of these guys raise his level and tell LEANDER TO RELAX-- MAIN HOON NA.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I am not sure Prakash's game is all that great on grass. He has pretty good game, but his results on grass have not been as expected, so far. Most of his problems come from shot selection issues and that is even more of a problem on grass. In any event, let us see about his injury and see where he plays next.

Karan has hardly ever played much on grass and has not shown any special grasscourt form in the past. That is one knock on him. Lack of experience could be a problem.

Harsh has generally done his stuff regardless of the surface (he was once a grasscourt junior national champ and all that too). I would still throw in Harsh, especially if he comes back with some good results in UK. That would be a no-brainer.

By the way, the tie vs China will be on grass at the RK Khanna stadium (didn't see that mentioned in newspaper articles or anywhere). I am SICK AND TIRED of Davis Cup ties never moving south of the Vindhyas .. Come on. This is not fair. Grass or no grass.

Can somebody come up with a damn grasscourt down south? -- it is not like grass doesn't grow in south India. There has got to be a resort or something somewhere down south with a grasscourt. If not, make one and get some mileage from hosting a Davis Cup ..

This is silly.

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Welcome kiran r more. I presume you aren't the former India wicket-keeper -- who, I think, is Kiran S. More...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kiran R. More?? ... Any relation to Kiran S. More, the famous one?

Jay