India's Dream Cricket Test Team

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: India's Dream Cricket Test Team

Post by Kumar »

Pant 1sr class 46 avg, T20 32.9(sr 145), list a 30(105)
Sheldon 49, 29.1(120), 37.2(83)
Srikar 37, 20.6(108), 33.1(75)

So Pant is superior to both of them and comes a cropper Just in ODI. To say their careers are being destroyed to promote Pant is just a gross over exaggeration. And well to say, Naman Ojha career was destroyed by Pant selection (38 year old who retired recntly) is funny.
He has maturity issues and if they are addressed, he could be one-of our top batsman period. U could make a case that his WK skills to spinners are poor and i have no qualms against that.

An article about Pant,
https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2476897
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I repeat no wicket-keeper batsman has shown what Pant did in SENA countries with the bat. He is a safe keeper against pacers and improving against spinners. His batting has been a class above anything we have seen from keepers abroad. (In tests only.)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

SaniaFan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:41 pm He played well today though. In terms of shot selection as well as pacing his inning. This would be a good template for him. I fact he was looking much better than Iyer.
Great!!! May he play more such innings. Note that he played at a SR of 100 instead of trying to hit everything. His SR at one point was 130 or something like that in ODIs. That caused him to take a few more unnecessary risks. I hope he matures into a dependable MO bat.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Kumar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:50 pm Pant 1sr class 46 avg, T20 32.9(sr 145), list a 30(105)
Sheldon 49, 29.1(120), 37.2(83)
Srikar 37, 20.6(108), 33.1(75)

So Pant is superior to both of them and comes a cropper Just in ODI. To say their careers are being destroyed to promote Pant is just a gross over exaggeration. And well to say, Naman Ojha career was destroyed by Pant selection (38 year old who retired recntly) is funny.
He has maturity issues and if they are addressed, he could be one-of our top batsman period. U could make a case that his WK skills to spinners are poor and i have no qualms against that.

An article about Pant,
https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2476897
Still 49 average of Sheldon is more then Pant in four dayers, and when Pant made debut in test he was quite ahead then Pant in four dayers His career has been destroyed to promote Pant backed by Kohli Delhi factor and other legends because he plays with aggression, crowd puller, legend backing. Stats of Sheldon was just thrown into dustbin.

A talent picked with just 9 FC hundreds over 19 FC hundreds in test is nothing but a political entry.DK's comeback in test was also surprising . If Sheldon would have been picked many legends would have start speaking on him like they are doing with Pant, its nothing surprising. Hats off to Harbhajan atleast he spoke for Sheldon. Naman Ojha if 38 now he was around 30 in 2014 when Dhoni retired, but he did'nt got enough chance.

Priyank Panchal 24 FC tons lost to Prithvi Shaw who has just 9FC tons. Only a joker can find these stuffs as funny
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Do you have stats to back that that Rishabh had significantly less average? Links etc...

If that is so, then kudos to selectors that they identified his talent and still backed him...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Picking people based on who has the most number of centuries is an awful strategy. As SaniaFan said, kudos to the selectors for picking Pant, who has been out best batting wicket-keeper ever abroad in tests. I have criticized them for selecting him in T20Is a bit early and maybe even in ODIs too. But, tests, they were spot on. That is exactly the job of the selectors. To identify and over-rule a stats-based system judiciously. I have said that my system would not have identified generational talent like SRT.

Anyway, even if we use a stats-based system, we need to use good stats and ideally good projection systems. I do not have that --- too lazy to write one --- and so I use approximate stats and that too only one or two numbers. It is okay to use a few numbers to get an approximation but using the number of centuries is a very bad strategy. Going by that, we would be having all the 34 year olds making their debut because, no doubt, they will have the most number of years and thus the most number of centuries. A very stupid system if you ask me. The best simple stat, imho, for test cricket success prediction, is the average. And, we may want some number of innings, say at least 15-20 for it to be meaningful.
Rajkumar Sharma

OMG so now selectors have to see domestic performers face, skin colour, pocket money, state he belongs, stylist or not etc ? instead of seeing tons, five fers, runs, wickets etc stats in domestic cricket :-) terrible logic.

19 tons 49 FC average Sheldon was less handsome and fully old (aged 30 in 2018 )when 9 FC tons Pant got picked in test cricket :rofl: Pant 9 tons was more tasty for them then Sheldon's 19 tons. Pant's 46 average looked more then Sheldon's average of 49.

Shaw's bald head was shining more then 24 FC tons Panchal's hairy head as a result he was picked in Test. :D

So much logics to hide the unfair treatment to Sheldon & Panchal
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I really love your passion for domestic players. I think Sheldon ahould have got opportunities at A level and that issad. I don’t think he has been superseded by any one at test level.

Pant’s average in Domestic tournament is 55 and if u assume that he did not play domestic after making test team, that is pretty good average .

Dhoni was replaced by Saha. Saha’s domestic average is around 46 which is better than Ohja who is around 42.
Rajkumar Sharma

Many domestic performances are not rewarded because of personal favouritism and lobby politics. Look at Ankit Bawne, he averages 50 in FC 42 in List A, haven't been considered for Test, whereas SKY with 39 FC 38 List A average joined test squad against England in 2021

Its some high class unfair, doing by the selectors
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Rajkumar can you please tell how many catches does Sheldon has in first class matces? And you'll get the answer why Pant got chances before him. My god, how you twist the facts!!!
Rajkumar Sharma

SaniaFan wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:03 pm Rajkumar can you please tell how many catches does Sheldon has in first class matces? And you'll get the answer why Pant got chances before him. My god, how you twist the facts!!!
53 /36 catches. Not a twist in that case Saha also has more catches then Pant, Saha became full time bench warmer in overseas and now thrown away and remember Pant got chance in the Playing XI because of batting not keeping, Shastri & Co. was very much vocal about his batting that became reason for his inclusion and Sheldon is also too good in batting.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

It seems you are after Pant for some reason. Sheldon has 53 catches in 76 matches. He is not a wicket keeper. He does not keep for his Ranji side Saurashtra in first class matches. And if he does he should be ashamed of calling himself a keeper after having such a stat. Where is the question of him competing against Pant? Pant has 172 catches in 52 matches because he is a wicket keeper. The comparison is ridiculous.
Rajkumar Sharma

If he is not a wicketkeeper then there would have been written "occassional wicketkeeper" in his career info but it is written as wicketkeeper. KL also had occassional wicket keeper in his name early but now its written as wicket keeper.Even Robin Uthappa started keeping in his domestic days later he left seeing less chance with Dhoni in the mix. Yes Sheldon left the gloves after seeing no opportunity and guys who played less have been preferred over him.

Nothing going after Pant but stats should be respected and thought off during selection. If catches/ stump matters then why pant in overseas,saha has much better catches/ stump stats then Pant. With Sheldon catches & stump can raise debate but why not with Saha
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

:D. My point was that with such a record he is not a wicketkeeper worth considering. So there is no comparison and hence no debate.
Between Saha and Pant you would find reems of pages here so don't want to repeat.
Rajkumar Sharma

Sheldon has been just neglected as batting was first priority for the team in overseas like Priyank Panchal & Ankit Bawne. Curious case in seeing Shaw in test squad instead of Panchal and how Surya was added instead of Bawne in England Test

Some more are here

Arun Karthik, Wicket Keeper batsman from TN, also keept for RCB in IPL, was top in the chart of 2015 ranji season when he was around 28, haven't been considered

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ranji-tr ... tournament
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.