General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by Atithee »

ICC's Cricket Committee set to back concept of 'umpire's call

Headed by Kumble, the committee took on board suggestions from match officials, broadcasters, and Hawk-Eye among others

Nagraj Gollapudi
23-Mar-2021

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc- ... ll-1256502
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Umpire's call does not need to be changed. What needs to be changed is the visualization that does not show the margin of error. If the error is visualized with say a decaying color based on the margin of error and that shows a reasonable probability that the ball could have hit or missed, the public will understand. The problem is that a probabilistic call is being shown as deterministic and the players including Kohli and the public think that the ball was hitting the stump.

The data behind the technology should be made available. That will show that maybe in 80% of the cases where we know the real trajectory of the ball, the projection gets it correct once the data is hidden and in 20% of the cases it gets it wrong. Etc. and thus, the technology is not 100%. No technology is 100% or can ever be. In this case, it makes sense not to overturn an umpire. Look at it another way, the umpire made a call and the technology is not sure, so it will not be overturned.

What is needed is more education and communication such that the public understands what is going on in the magic that says a ball would have hit. I would like to know if the software is calibrated for conditions during the match. For example, is it using one standard projection, or different projections based on English conditions where the ball swings and is projected to deviate more than in Australia or Antigua or India where it is not projected to deviate as much. Does it calibrate based on the time of the year? This is especially important when the ball hits the pad right after hitting the ground and has not had a chance to deviate as much in the air.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Does the software learn from the deliveries bowled in the same match? Also how does it react to the age of the ball?
Would be very interesting to understand the inner working of the this technology
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know. It should. There is technology that can. I do not know what is deployed. Anyway, the visualization needs to be changed. Now it shows the ball going and hitting the stump without any visualization of the margin of error and that makes everyone howl. ICC should be more open if it wants people to accept what they are doing. Otherwise, there will be these controversies.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Not sure if this was posted, article on India’s victory against Australia 20 years back

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story ... ennai-test

I pretty much watched every single delivery of the partnership and did not move except during the break!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Typical Antigua draw? A Sri Lankan victory? Or a Pant-like counter-attack by WI? What do people think will happen?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Once again, the new blood showing the futility of the privilege biggies are provided to call their own time. Go Windies. Only Australia has cajones to chuck people out at the right time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And Sri Lanka. The debutant scored a century to set things up.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrible final session from the Windies. They needed 191 runs, but barely made 50 after Kyle Mayers (the hero of the famous chase in Bangladesh) fell in the first over of the final session.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't seem to see a way to start a thread even though I am logged in. So, I am putting this here. India is going to tour Sri Lanka in July for 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is. We will be using players beyond the group that is going to England. This is a good idea. Here is my suggested XI for the T20Is:

Shaw, Dhawan (c), Ishan, SAY, Padikkal, Samson, Hardik, Bhuvi, RCha, Avesh, Varun.

Backup : DLC.

Iyer walks in if he is fit. Krunal?

I have not put much thought into this. So, maybe I am missing several people. Who is our next-gen off=spinner?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Wow! I didn’t know Shakib is so incorrigible and Bangladesh domestic cricket is in such a bad shape.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/bang ... im-1266310
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ridiculous that a star player should behave so badly in what appears to be a club game. Why the hell does he need to even play this -- and then behave in a ridiculously arrogant manner. It's amazing that Bangladesh has become competitive despite an utterly amateurish domestic set-up. Pakistan was similar in the past, but most of its best players used to play county cricket. Just a few Bangladeshis play the IPL, and a few in other T20 leagues, but it is wonder that they are able to be competitive despite this lack of domestic structure.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Star players should play club games modulo rest/preventive injury management. That is the only way to get the next gen and the next in line to play at a high competitive level.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Here is Italy's squad:
Italy squad for ICC Men's T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier: Gareth Berg (captain/head coach), Jade Dernbach, Madupa Fernando, Jamie Grassi, Grant Stewart, Darren Low, Dinidu Marage, Gian-Piero Meade, Joy Perera, Amir Sharif, Baljith Singh, Jaspreet Singh, Manpreet Singh, Nikolai Smith.
Source: Cricinfo

What do you think of the names (and their ethnicities)? :-) Bellissimo!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Just one player with an Italian first-name, none with a proper Italian surname :-)