General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

IndiaFan1

General Cricket Thread ...

Post by IndiaFan1 »

Yes...a splendid victory to India today, with two batsmen Sachin and Laxman clicking. Both scored centuries and Agarkar became the slogger towards the end to add a few valuable runs.

At one stage it looked like the mighty Aussies would run away with the game. Their first wicket had fallen at 120+ runs at a healthy run rate. Zahir and Sehawag bowled well. Sachin chipped in with a wicket. Good win for India.

PKBasu..I will take a small, albeit small issue with your comment about Sachin's bowling. Granted he has not bowled well lately. However, he has more than once broken major partnerships. He is not a regular bowler, but what he brings is vareity, with OB, LB, Medium pace. He is accurate in that he rarely, if ever, throws a noball or a wide. But if the pitch does not assist he can be hit. At the same time, he can throw off the best set batsmen. His bowling is a great asset (not to speak of his batting 35 ODI centuries, 100+ ODI wickets)

A Jubilant India Fan # 1
gvhvhg
Please enter the middle number: 1

General cricket thread

Post by gvhvhg »

please guys dont talk about the cricket in such detail! It only rubs in the fact that i cant watch it in this stupid country! :mad: :mad: :D :D :D :devil: :devil: (No offense to any stupid americans :devil: )
IndiaFan1

General cricket thread

Post by IndiaFan1 »

Hi gvhvhg...all the more reason for us to give you the details!

Anyway, you can watch it live on the internet, kind a pay-per-view, not so cheap.

India fan #1
PKBasu

General cricket thread

Post by PKBasu »

IndiaFan1, I agree that Sachin occasionally bowls well, but that doesn't detract from the fact that his bowling is erratic/unpredictable -- like that of a typical leg-spinner (which is his standard bowling style). I remember his magnificent bowling in a test against South Africa in a losing cause, as well as the Aussies in 2001. And the Coca-Cola cup in 1993/4 when he bowled an astonishing final over. But his bowling is pedestrian and erratic now, with the occasional brilliant ball mixed with lots of full tosses and long-hops. There were many of those in the WC final!!
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

General cricket thread

Post by Dhruv »

Ok, I have split an existing cricket thread from what I considered a relevant point in time and have renamed it the general cricket thread.

Anyway to recap the last few matches between India and Australia, after the Aussies squeaked passed the Indian team twice in the world cup, India thrased the Aussies by 37 runs on home soil. In the next match, today, the Aussies were again lucky to win by the skin of their teeth by a paltry sum of 77 runs. I am sure that the next time the two teams meet Indian team will again humiliate the Aussies.
PKBasu

General cricket thread

Post by PKBasu »

The BBC reported today that China has joined the Asian Cricket Council. Evidently there are quite a few successful cricket clubs in Beijing and Shanghai. China are aiming (rather ambitiously, to my mind) to be a test playing nation within 15 years.
If they start playing ODIs in 15 years, and the Chinese begin taking interest in the sport, cricket's importance as a global sport will jump by leaps and bounds.
PKBasu

General cricket thread

Post by PKBasu »

India comfortably won the Asian Under-19 Cricket championship, with an 8-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in the final. Sri Lanka had beaten India in the first match of the tournament, but India went from strength to strength thereafter -- mainly because of some fabulous bowling by Irfan Pathan (another Baroda tearaway like Zaheer Khan), who destroyed Pakistan after India had made just 148, and then took 9 wickets against Bangladesh.
Here's the rediff report:
http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2003/nov/06asian.htm
PKBasu

General cricket thread

Post by PKBasu »

After a feckless performance with bat and ball, India crashed to defeat against the winless New Zealanders today in Cuttack. NZ won by 4 wickets with 15 balls to spare. India were without Ganguly and Kumble, but that can't excuse a pathetic batting and bowling performance. It is going to be a struggle to qualify for the tri-series final after successive defeats by Australia and New Zealand (following a solitary win over Australia and a washed-out no result against NZ).
Kumar
Authors
Authors

General cricket thread

Post by Kumar »

I would liked to have started a separate thread with a poll question, but don't want to add one more thread for Cricket. But did you guys see the news about India touring pakistan next year. I don't agree with that decision. We have been mistreated everytime we have played in Pakistan (I can't still forget the way Srikanth's team 1989-90 was treated or the way crowd stopped our match in the Champion's trophy).

I fear for the safety of our players. Just imagine what would happen if Sachin is hurt or injured by vandals in pakistan. I agree India - Pakistan match is a best treat for cricket fans of both the countries, but when Pakistan is sponsoring cross-border terrorism so actively, I don't see why we should play them . If India has to play pakistan, play them in a neutral venue, Australia did that and Indians have more to fear from violence in pakistan than any other country. Some may point out we have had indians play in pakistan (showing examples of Sania, U19 team), but Cricket is much bigger than any of the other sports in both the countries and can inflame the passions in both the countries.

Some may say cricket can help making the relation better. But that'z full load of ... (fill in the blanks) . I don't think our relationship with Pakistan is going to get better just becoz we play cricket there. We gave lot of respect to Pakistan cricketers last time they toured us, cheering them for a wonderful match in chepauk. Did that help prevent the Kargil war that happened the same year?

http://www.hindu.com/2003/11/10/stories ... 640100.htm
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

General cricket thread

Post by Dhruv »

And the Aussie team was lucky again today by managing to squeak past India by the narrowest of margins : a mere 61 runs. This lucky streak has to come to an end sooner or later.

I must say the Indian are a disadvantaged lot when to comes to cricket anyway. We have hardly any money flowing into the game via sponsors compared to the other sports and yet our team manages to do extremely well. There are only a handful of people who play this game in India and the team must be praised for managing to stay at the #8 position out of 12 nations in the official rankings for ODI and a respectable #6 out of 12 in the test rankings. All this despite having little or no coverage and money flowing into the game. It is no wonder these players are demigods in India. I fully support the team and the organisation/selectors behind the scenes that allow India to produce such great world conquering teams.

Things must not be allowed to slow down and even more money must be pumped into the game and sponsors must be convinced to put more money into the game so India can further improve in the game. After all look at teams better than India in the rankings : Australia, New Zealand, SouthAfrica and even England all have bigger superstars than the Indian team and they also get paid way more. Not to be ignored is the amount money flowing into these sports via sponsors and private companies in those countries is orders of magnitude larger than India thus allowing for them to develop facilities much better than those in India. It is not a level playing field yet the Indian team continues to perform excellently in the face of all this. Once again the BCCI and the state bodies and the selectors need to be profusely thanked for this.

Fortunately the state of affairs looks like it is going to change soon and the BCCI and other bodies taking steps to further improve the state of Indian cricket. This is one of the reasons I wholeheartedly support Indian cricket and will continue to do so in the future as long as I see this improving trend and very judicious use of resources.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

General cricket thread

Post by BSharma »

Dhruv, I enjoyed reading your previous post, and all I can say is that I had not seen this side of you yet. :wink: :rofl:
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

General cricket thread

Post by Dhruv »

:D Hi, expect more of the same when I get around to redesigning the site. More "editorial" content and a lot more to help budding sportspersons... I hope.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

General cricket thread

Post by jayakris »

Fantastic .. Classic, Dhruv! ..

Jay
cibtt

tvs cup disaster

Post by cibtt »

india have been hit by some crucial injuries but can't use that as an excuse for their poor performance. Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, India's most consistent batsmen are not being helped at all down the order. After the two are out the whole lineup collapses. '
In the last match against Aus. at Banglore, the Indians came so close after an embarrasing 347 by the first place aussies who have alrady qualified for the final. India need to win the match on Saturday to reach the final knocking New Zealand out. (I'll be watching on Saturday)!!
At Banglore India made some cruciasl mistakes. First of all not bowling Sachin (who hasn't been at his best as of late) was a mistake. Ganguly hasn't bowled Sachin since the world cup final. And even then only a few overs were bowled. And secondly, where was the fight at the end. When India needed 9 per over for the last overs the two batsmen, Kaif and Kumble just played out the final overs. At least we should have given them a little scare. This show the lazziness and the lack of pride for their own country. I hope they wake up and win on saturday. Fingers crossed.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

General cricket thread

Post by Dhruv »

Merged Cbitt's post with this threazd and also to point out a great article by Prem Panicker in Rediff.