General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

What matters is not the current valuation but the amount of revenue generated in the country. India provides 70% of the ICC's cricket revenue. It could be hard if the teams collectively bargain. However, in that case, the BCCI should lengthen the IPL to create a longer breakaway league and not care about the NOCs of those countries' boards. Pay large amounts to poach the players from those countries, Packer-style. Then, start a List-A league that lasts a few months more.

In the meantime, try to break off some country such as RSA or WI that is low on money by offering them a significant sum to play tests with India. Offer the Indian team to go to any country and play there for a large fee.

I think you can break the ICC cabal with smart, innovative thinking.
Observer
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Observer »

That sounds possible. The number of Boards which need a financial rescue is an important opportunity.
It would be very important to manage and execute this well in order to not lose the public interest and the revenue which comes with it. Maintaining a good image among the fans not only in India but all over the world is also important. But that could be done 1 country at a time by helping their Cricket board.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

West Indies got thrashed at home by 63 runs by Afghanistan in an ODI. It is rather painful to see how the mighty have fallen. I checked the birthplaces of their top five run getters in this match. They are all born in Afghanistan (not Pakistanis crossing the border to play international cricket like the Irish, etc.).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Afghanistan and Ireland awarded Test status, which takes the number of Test-playing nations from 10 to 12 ... Both countries were confirmed as full members after a unanimous vote at ICC meeting during its annual conference in London ... Bangladesh were previously the last country to be granted Test status in 2000.
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

They should celebrate with maiden tests vs India ala SA & Bangladesh.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Would Eoin Morgan return to Ireland?
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Tolamu wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 am They should celebrate with maiden tests vs India ala SA & Bangladesh.
South Africa's first test was not against India. Bangladesh and Pakistan played their 1st test against India. Also, I believe Zimbabwe did though I may be wrong on that one. I remember Dave Houghton scoring a century.
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

rajitghosh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am
Tolamu wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 am They should celebrate with maiden tests vs India ala SA & Bangladesh.
South Africa's first test was not against India. Bangladesh and Pakistan played their 1st test against India. Also, I believe Zimbabwe did though I may be wrong on that one. I remember Dave Houghton scoring a century.
For SA, I forgot to mention [post-apartheid].
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Tolamu wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:18 am
rajitghosh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am
For SA, I forgot to mention [post-apartheid].
Post-apartheid their 1st test was with West Indies. Their 1st one day was with India at the Eden Gardens.

There is a famous story about that 1st test and how South Africa became chokers. They went into the last day of the test needing around 50 runs with 8 wickets left. In the evening, the South African players were celebrating at a bar. Brian Lara happened to be there and warned them about West Indian fast bowlers that none of the South Africans took seriously. Next morning in came Ambrose and Walsh and South Africa's history of choking started.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

rajitghosh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:27 am Would Eoin Morgan return to Ireland?
I hope he does. And surely, he must be tempted to (although he is still England's limited-overs captain). He will probably decide based on the number of tests Ireland is slated to play in the next year or two. Boyd Rankin (if he is still fit) could be the other big addition to Ireland's squad.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, the Duminy at #4 is really looking bad except for the flash-in-the-pan 141. Maybe he will prove me wrong again momentarily, but, I do not think in the long run he can succeed as a #4. I think the #4 should be the best bat. In this team now, it should be Quentin De Kock. Faf at #5. Duminy can come in at #6 and Bavuma at #7. Then, four bowlers. Or replace Bavuma with a real all-rounder.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Heartwarming victories for the Windies (in England) and Bangladesh (over Australia) are surely a shot in the arm for test Cricket. Bangladesh won by just 20 runs, and Windies with just over 5 overs left to be bowled on the final day. Shakib confirmed his position as the Vinoo Mankad of Bangladesh cricket, with 10 wickets in the match and a first innings top score of 84. And Shai Hope (averaging 18 in his previous 11 tests, with just one 50) made a century in both innings at Headingley. Amazing stuff!!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Australia may be one of the worst teams in the world wrt playing spin. Just like India has to counter pace/swing, maybe the Aussies should reconsider whether making Sydney and Melbourne devoid of any spin is in their best interests. 20 years ago, Melbourne used to spin a bit and Sydney would assist the spinner after 3 days. Nowadays, neither offers assistance to spin --- at least when the sub-continent teams visit. Consequently, the players who feast there continue in their national team and come and fail in the sub-continent. Maybe they will do well to ask their players to play on some spinning wickets at home before they can go abroad.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

A lot of players of sub-continental origin have played quite well (especially batsmen: Rohan Kanhai, Kallicharan, Chanderpaul, Amla, maybe even some bowlers: Rampaul) when visiting the lands of their ancestors. An interesting anomalous twist to this is Usman Khawaja, who is otherwise a very classy and talented batsman. He seems to have become quintessentially Aussie struggling more than the others in the sub-continent especially against spin.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pakistan could not score 137 to win! What a shambolic performance. Herath was king. I have immense respect for him.

Pakistan possibly lost it in their selection. After Younis and Misbah retired, they kicked out three experienced and good quality batsmen in Mhd. Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, and the mercurial Ahmed Shehzad. To little experience is not a good idea. Young kids may not be able to keep their nerves.