General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 pmA donkey drop is a really bad ball -- specifically one that is flighted so much that it loops over the batsman's head and lands on the stumps (when it is really successful). More often than not, a donkey drop goes high up and lands somewhere near the batsman and gets walloped for six.
Ah, I see. The kind of stuff I used to bowl, that is :) .... Thanks, PKB.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 pm British media is now all in on Smith being the second greatest batsman of all time ahead of Hobbs and Weekes. I am still amazed that so many subcontinental fans fall in for this bait so easily.
Well at least going by the averages he is. Better than Voges, Pollock, Sutcliff, etc.

The non-dominated solutions based on (runs, averages) correspond to Bradman, Hammond, Sobers, Sangakkara, Kallis, Tendulkar.
(x,y) dominates (a,b) iff x>a and y>b.
ssp

Post by ssp »

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

WI just huffed and puffed their way into 2019 world cup with a win on Duckworth-Lewis rule against Scotland in qualifying competition. At one stage, it looked they may in fact miss out on that not only in this match but also the earlier match against Zimbabwe which they were close to losing.

Sad to see one time ODI giants being reduced to this.

Actually, their player appears pretty good in T20 leagues around the world and also they won the T20 world cup a couple of years back. So, strange to see them struggling so much in 50 over version. I have not really analysed. Were they playing their best team ?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

50 overs and 20 overs are different ball-games.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I know it is. But, still a team which is one of the top 2-3 teams in T20, you would not expect to struggle to get even in top 10 in a 50 over format. I just feel that they are not playing their best team. Need to check if any of the good ones were missing.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The only good batsman missing was Dwayne Bravo. Among the good bowlers, Narine, Jerome Taylor were missing. Narine possibly chucks, was called in the Pakistani League, etc.
Observer

Post by Observer »

sameerph wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:50 am Actually, their player appears pretty good in T20 leagues around the world and also they won the T20 world cup a couple of years back. So, strange to see them struggling so much in 50 over version. I have not really analysed. Were they playing their best team ?
I was thinking about this exact same thing. I think generally as the format becomes longer the discipline and a strong sporting culture becomes more important than raw natural ability. Possibly the present day WI are quite rich in the latter but lack the former. Regardless its very surprising how much that equation changes from T20 to 50 over cricket.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

They are the only team along with Pakistan which takes T20Is seriously.

I don't believe in this raw natural ability theory.

As the format becomes longer, the better team is likelier to prevail. If football was played for 10 minutes instead of 90, even India could potentially snatch a draw against a top 10 team like England or Belgium.

Increased unpredictability + more experience is the biggest factor for their success internationally in T20s.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Taking that logic to the extreme, if you play T5 cricket, Narine will be top dog batsman. He can tonk every ball. He does not last that long. In T20, WI have a bunch of muscular guys coming in and hitting the ball hard and bowling hard. Because they have a few batsmen who are powerful, they can manage to hit out and get through in T20 cricket. In 50 overs, you have to build innings, singles are the bread and butter. Placement is king and not hammering the ball. Very few batsmen in WI can play even remotely like a Kohli masterclass where he bats at 100% SR without any risks --- no dot balls almost, a lot of singles, fast run twos, a few fours interspersed except at the end. It is a thing of beauty that even VVSL could not figure out.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agreed prasen. But if T5 cricket was the norm, you would have very different players coming up from domestic cricket. Coaches in India still want young kids to emulate Kohlis and Tendulkars and be technically correct.

Australia continue to be involved in controversies and following the nonsense with Warner and QdK, are now caught tampering the ball on camera with clear collusion involving the coach. Of course, this is all within their imaginary line and they will come up with the usual nonsense - "brainfade", "young", "one-off".
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The Aussies have not outgrown their genes. [I don't literally mean it, of course. But, it almost seems that way.] The worst behaved team and the team with the least amount of ethical behavior. I am a win at all costs person. But, never cheat. Then, what is the point?

If you keep the Indian team out (because I am biased), the player I admire the most is AB De Villiers. Incredible athlete. He could perhaps have represented his country in rugby, golf or even tennis, I think (conjecture). I like bottom-line and Steve Smith would be the best bat perhaps among the current bats. But DeV is a class of his own. Don't know why I think so. But I just like his batting.

I also think Rabada will take the mantle of the best bowler of his generation. But, I hope he can fix his behavior.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Disgraceful actions by the Aussies. It will be interesting to see what punishments result from this.
Smith said it was a "big mistake" but added he would not stand down.

He said the team's "leadership group" had spoken about it and "thought it was a way to get an advantage".
Cheating sh**s
Last edited by ssp on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I wouldn't mind if the Aussies wanted to be a heel if we are to borrow a wrestling terminology.

The issue is their self-righteousness and hypocrisy. All our sledging is within the line but mate, what you said to Warner is disgraceful.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Yes, their sledging is just 'normal banter'...but others are deemed to be out of line for giving it back to these thugs.