General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

Almost. I think Grassi is an Italian last name. But, his first name is not Italian. Suspect paternal line is Italian? Grassi is perhaps plural of Grasso? What does it mean?
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:22 pm Here is Italy's squad:
Italy squad for ICC Men's T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier: Gareth Berg (captain/head coach), Jade Dernbach, Madupa Fernando, Jamie Grassi, Grant Stewart, Darren Low, Dinidu Marage, Gian-Piero Meade, Joy Perera, Amir Sharif, Baljith Singh, Jaspreet Singh, Manpreet Singh, Nikolai Smith.
Source: Cricinfo

What do you think of the names (and their ethnicities)? :-) Bellissimo!
About time the Punjabis in northern Italy got to playing cricket. I think it is the largest Indian diaspora in continental Europe.

It looks like they have been scouring for Italian ethnicity South Africans

https://www.newframe.com/the-tough-bala ... n-cricket/
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That is correct. Lots of Punjabis moved to Lombardi. After UK, Italy has largest Indian diaspora. And, the three Singhs are possibly Punjabis going by their first names.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 am Almost. I think Grassi is an Italian last name. But, his first name is not Italian. Suspect paternal line is Italian? Grassi is perhaps plural of Grasso? What does it mean?
Well-spotted. Jamie Grassi does have an Italian father, and an Irish mother. He was born in Dublin, and learnt and played his cricket in the Irish system. I had a lot of colleagues and clients (fund managers) who were Italians based in Dublin (or had mixed Irish-Italian or Brit-Italian parentage). One such colleague (called Nic Regan) introduced me to the best local food in Milan.

Gareth Berg, the captain, is a 40-year-old born in South Africa (with a part-Italian mother, which gave him an Italian passport) who still plays with some success for Northamptonshire. Here's a Wisden write-up on him:
https://wisden.com/stories/gareth-berg- ... talian-job

Jade Dernbach of course played several seasons of ODI cricket for England.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There is a big Sri Lankan diaspora in Italy too, clearly, and they've been active in cricket. The current squad has 3 Sri Lankans, but the first "black" captain of any Italian sports team was a Sri Lankan (Tamil Christian) who captained Italy in cricket as far back as 1984. A lot of the players are quite old: Baljith Singh, for instance, is 38, 'keeper Manpreet is 36. Berg of course is 40, Dernbach is 35. Phagwara-born medium-pacer Jaspreet Singh is a relatively young 28, but has played only a few matches so far.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I think India lost to Pakistan with a last ball four and some 20 odd runs in an u-19 Asian championship or something like that today. This is the old India-Pak disease rearing its ugly head again.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Harbhajan singh has called it a day and immediately complains about BCCI selection policy and how they short charged his career and did not support him

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ ... 48761.html
It always feels nice to have that support. I’ll say that if I got the support at the right time, I would’ve retired much earlier after 500-550 wickets because I was 31 when I reached the 400-wicket mark. If I played 3-4 years more, I would’ve reached 500 wickets but that didn’t happen,” he added.

https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... i-6548699/

Over his last seven Tests (two in England and five in Asia), the best he managed was a three-wicket haul against Bangladesh at Fatullah. It coincided with Ravichandran Ashwin making a big impression very early on in his Test career. With Ravindra Jadeja also in the reckoning, the ‘Turbanator’ had to make way.
This old article kind of highlights how Harbhajan singh non selection was a right decision, but communication could have been better.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely, we let our stars stay on too long. From top to bottom. Rahane suffered when he was young. And, now he is paying back Iyer and Vihari (through no fault of his own, it is the selectors' fault). Ashwin is a much better upgrade to Harbhajan.

It is sad to see what happens when you do not pay attention to failures and refuse to remove them. See England. They lost to India because they could not bat. They only have one good batsman Root and an all-rounder bat in Stokes. The rest have failed and failed and yet they are in the team. Lawrence cannot get a decent run. Sad state of affairs. Their best XI for the next match should be:

Burns, Malan, Bairstow, Root, Butler, Stokes, Lawrence. Or keep Burns out and give Hamid another chance if you think he is not been given a full run yet. But, why Lawrence is not getting his chances even though everyone else is playing and failing is not fathomable. Why they brought back Crawley nobody knows. He has failed again and again and is still there. That also dis-spirits young openers who are hoping for a chance.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Can you send a night-watchman in and then the next day morning withdraw the night-watchman and send in a proper bat with the night-watchman slotting down at their regular spot (assuming they did not get out the previous night) at the first sign of that night-watchman being hurt? For example, if Thakur gets hit by a bouncer, can he claim elbow pain or whatever pain and go to the pavilion even though he could continue with some light pain as most batters do? Should teams use retired not-out more liberally with night-watchmen?

I would actually like teams to be able to withdraw and reinsert not-out batsmen at will during breaks (so that the game is not slowed down even more) to take advantage of matchups, etc.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Why use such an option when you know Shardul will score more than Pujara.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shardul is a placeholder. I am interested in the concept as a strategy. This is not applicable, obviously, if you replace a tailender, Thakur with another, Pujara. It is, say, relevant when we are talking of replacing Thakur with a batsman, e.g., the non-COVID Kohli, if available.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

I guess it should be possible. All he needs to say is that he has a tummy upset and can't bat. Violates the spirit of the game though.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Kohli is dismissed in identical fashion in both innings. So much for learning from your mistakes.

We only talk about Rahane and Pujara but I think Kohli is also in same boat. Is his lean patch worse that of Tendulkar's worst? I think Kohli is basically done. When batsman is not able to score in spite of looking in good touch for a long period they are mostly done. It means that they are not able to concentrate. Rahane was long done. I think Kohli and Pujara are also done.
Prem

Post by Prem »

I think the trio of Pujara, Kohli and Rahane are still good enough or the best we have for this tough overseas conditions. Not sure the bench guys have too much experience to counter the bouncy fast pitches in SA. Bet on couple of these guys to come good in the series. It will be a good learning for Shreyas, SKY, Priyank etc. to be in the dressing room. Vihari doesn’t give you confidence that he can be a regular and reliable number 5. Rahane looked good in both innings until the dismissal…Pujara was out caught down the leg side and Kohli looked good in both innings until he chased those wide balls. Hoping to see one/two centuries from the middle order in the series.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Of course they can score a odd hundred here and there. But I think as a world class middle order batsmen they are done. BTW even for that odd century we are waiting for such a long time.
My point is that we should start investing in new guys. We should look for way to induct new guys rather than ways to continue with old guys.