General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

So, Casson possibly booked his tickets to India with those three wickets in the second innings.  I think they should bring Casson and Bryce McGain because Cullen, Hauritz, etc. are hopeless and not yet ready.  The caning that these spinners are likely to get in India could discourage a young one.  Use McGain for a series or two as a stop-gap, and then dump him when the young spinners are ready.  In this era of non-stop cricket, they need to build up their spinning backups because injuries (to the first spinner) will be a part of the game.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Seriously?  What's there to discuss?  This was a ODI!!

MCC meets to discuss improvisation
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvnz/ ... 55007.html
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

1. They should allow bowlers to change their bowling hand from right to left or vice-versa then for fairness.  I think that will make the game even more flashy and intriguing.
2. There is the question of what is the leg-side and what is the off-side.  I think the stance of the batsman right before the ball was delivered should determine that.  And wides should be adjudged on the basis of this determination.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: 2. There is the question of what is the leg-side and what is the off-side.  I think the stance of the batsman right before the ball was delivered should determine that.  And wides should be adjudged on the basis of this determination.
I have a different take on this. If a batsman decides to change his stance, wide should be called equally on both sides (using the parameters of offside wide). And lbw should be based on his original stance (when the bowler begins his runup).
nballa

Post by nballa »

prasen9 wrote: 1. They should allow bowlers to change their bowling hand from right to left or vice-versa then for fairness.  I think that will make the game even more flashy and intriguing.
2. There is the question of what is the leg-side and what is the off-side.  I think the stance of the batsman right before the ball was delivered should determine that.  And wides should be adjudged on the basis of this determination.
excellent suggestion because everyone who plays the game at the highest level are adept at bowling with both arms equally well.
nballa

Post by nballa »

if a batsman changes his stance in the middle of a delivery then wides should be judged at the far end markers on both sides.
that will curb the batsmen from playing these fancy shots.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

nballa wrote:
prasen9 wrote: 1. They should allow bowlers to change their bowling hand from right to left or vice-versa then for fairness.  I think that will make the game even more flashy and intriguing.
excellent suggestion because everyone who plays the game at the highest level are adept at bowling with both arms equally well.
yes, just like allowing batsmen to bat right or left handed means that everyone who plays at the highest level are adept at switch-batting equally well.  The law now states that the bowler has to declare which hand and which side of the wicket he or she will be bowling with and the MCC just said that the batsman does not have to.
Last edited by prasen9 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar wrote: If a batsman decides to change his stance, wide should be called equally on both sides (using the parameters of offside wide).
This is quite reasonable and fair.
And lbw should be based on his original stance (when the bowler begins his runup).
On whether it should be based on the original stance or on the stance right before the bowler bowls, why would you prefer the former?
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Just saw the highlights of Eng vs NZ ODI at the Oval. Paul Collingwood disgraced the game and himself by appealing for a run out when Sidebottom took out Elliott as he went for a run with 26 needed of 39 balls. After deliberation Collingwood decided to appeal and the umpire had no option but to rule the batsman out. The anger from a normally calm NZ balcony was there to be seen and when NZ won the game, with two need off the final ball thanks to an overthrow, you should have seen Vettori on the balcony. He was seething in anger and mouthing off towards the England balcony. Collingwood went to NZ dressing room to shake hands and no one came out to meet him. To his credit at the post match ceremony Collingwood did say he was wrong in hind sight and Vettori accepted his apology.

Collingwood justified his decision by saying it was taken at the spur of the moment but if you watch the recording, play has stopped for a good 3-4 minutes+ while Elliott is receiving treatment and the England players are in a huddle and they come out of the huddle and still appeal. Not very spur of the moment to me. I can just imagine KP egging Collingwood to appeal!

What is about the Oval and controversies? Did they cast a spell of some kind when they laid the re-development of the ground? Maybe there is an Australian shirt underneath the foundation!
Last edited by S_K_S on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puneets

Post by puneets »

To his credit at the post match ceremony Collingwood did say he was wrong in hind sight and Vettori accepted his apology.
Not exactly.  :D
Collingwood used the word 'might'.

"In hindsight I might have made the wrong decision, and I'll have to live with that".
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Story about the dinner to celebrate 25th anniversary of the 1983 triumph at Lord's yesterday:

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/jun/26cup.htm

Sharad Pawar claims to have watched the final and the Zimbabwe match. That's funny, because the Zimbabwe match (the famous one at Tunbridge Wells where Kapil got his 175) was not telecast at all. There were no TV cameras there, and I am not aware of any amateur video either. Pawar fibbing?  :wink:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Almost certainly fibbing.  To the best of my knowledge, too, there exists no video of the India v. Zimbabwe match. 
puneets

Post by puneets »

Maybe he's claiming that he was present at the ground, but I seriously doubt that :)
BBC was on strike that particular day, and there was no TV coverage.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

puneets wrote: Maybe he's claiming that he was present at the ground, but I seriously doubt that :)
BBC was on strike that particular day, and there was no TV coverage.
That's what came to my mind too!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Luke Ronchi and Shaun Marsh got their debuts for Australia in ODIs in this series.  Can Ronchi beat out Haddin, at least for ODIs?

I hope Bryce McGain gets a test cap versus India --- I just like the Aussies shadowed by the great generation (Warne, MacGill) to get at least some matches.  I am also rooting for David Hussey to get an ODI cap.

The Aussie team playing WI today is pretty young compared to other recent Aussie teams.

White and Marsh are under 25.  Then, they have Johnson, Watson, Ronchi, Clark around the 26-27 year old range.  And Hopes is 29.  Bracken, Lee, Hussey, Ponting are the only over 30s.

A glimpse of their future?

-pm
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.