T20 World Cup, W.Indies/USA 2024

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: T20 World Cup, W.Indies/USA 2024

Post by PKBasu »

I think Pant was a very strong contender for MoM in the victory over Pakistan. Although he gave a few chances (most of them very difficult ones, especially for Pakistani fielders, so effectively not really chances :-) ), his 42 was absolutely crucial, as were his 3 catches and zero byes in a low-scoring match. Bumrah, of course, was brilliant.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I'm surprised I didn't post about the USA-Pakistan game here (I thought I had). The US batsmen did superbly in managing the chase -- skipper Monank Patel's four and six off successive balls from Afridi were a highlight, and so was the lusty hitting of Aaron Jones (born in Queens), and the last-ball 4 from Nitish Kumar. Netravalkar held his nerve well in the Super Over, and ex-match-fixer Md Amir lost his head in his Super Over (bowling 3 wides, off which another 4 runs were scored). I'm pretty sure I wrote about this somewhere here though...

(ah, yes, there's another thread about the USA cricket team...).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely, no doubt Pant was the #2, maybe very close to Bumrah, who turned the match for us. I am speaking longer term. He has been bad for our T20I team when he has played overall. Not over these two matches. Hope he has turned a corner. He owes us a lot of good matches - taking about WAR, to come up to a WAR of zero, currently he is possibly negative if a WAR score could be calculated, certainly negative in the oWAR case if we calculate WAR (i.e., replacement) for the top six countries or so ...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I would rest the seniors and play the juniors in this game. The team management will, of course, not do that before qualifying. Which is a good time to see how old or young this team is.

Old: Rohit (37), Kohli, Jadeja (35), Yuzi, SkAY (33)
Young: Yashasvi (22), Arshdeep (25), Pant (26), Kuldeep, Samson (29)

In other words, a very old team.

Yuzi has not played. Get him match ready and not rusty. I'd rest Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja, Bumrah. So, I have:

Yashasvi, Samson, Pant, SkAY, Dube, Pandya, Axar, Kuldeep, Chahal, Siraj, Arshdeep.

The idea is to get everyone two matches in this qualifying round so that they are match fit. We should be able to win against USA with this team. Alternating right handers and left handers.

After this tournament, we need to drop Rohit, Kohli, and Jadeja along with Yuzi.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

H1B team seems to be doing quite well
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, we will see. Rohit and Kohli did badly again. Hope they get back form soon. Rohit batted okay in one match and Kohli perhaps in none.

I hope Pant and SkAY and whoever else just bats at a bit over one an over. We want to win the match but don't want to deck U.S.A.'s net run rate too much. :p
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:51 pm H1B team seems to be doing quite well
Yeah, the H1B team may even beat our A team! Just as a say it, a 4 and 6, and the pressure is a bit less for us.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Arshdeep was the hero today. With Hardik and SkAY doing very well too. Hardik is bowling well as the fourth bowler.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A article on whether Americans know anything about the cricket world cup, from Al Jazeera - USA vs India: How the home team could help convert Americans to cricket

And an AP agency news report in the US - The US cricket team is closing in on a major achievement at the Twenty20 World Cup

I am reminded of the 1994 "Soccer" World Cup in the USA. The talk on the TV was all about "why does the clock go forward from zero, and not down to zero???" and about the Hispanic/Latino guy who used to do "Goaaaaaaaaal" on TV... The USA goalkeeper, who was a band guitarist till then, became famous for his long hair (now he is THE US television personality for "soccer" -- the great Alexei Lalas, of course!). At the end of the tournament, people on "usenet" (Al Gore had not "invented" the internet just yet) were asking where they could watch some soccer after the world cup. You could NOT find a single football game on US TV those days. An Indian fellow was in charge of setting up a league football league in the US (a Mr. Gulati, iirc) and everybdy was criticizing him for not starting the league immediately but waiting a year to get going. I don't think there was even a single proper "soccer" field in the US, but the Rose Bowl in Pasadena was tremendous for the final anyway. Oh, how far US Soccer has come in 30 years since then (#11 in the world now and as high as #6 or something earlier).

Can cricket pick up somehow? We need an Alexei Lalas in the US (a white guy, and not Mr. Netravalkar; Sorry for being racist here, but I have to speak reality!)

I badly want USA to make the final 8. That would be great. Can they do it? Why not??
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

They will have to beat Ireland.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^Minor correction - Alexi Lalas was a defender and not a goalie. I think Brad Friedel was the goalie of the US team. The biggest effect from 1994 world cup was the launch of MLS (major league soccer) which has quietly become the soccer league with the most revenue outside of the big 5 leagues in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... by_revenue

Will major league cricket have some impact. That will have to be the vehicle by which the popularity of cricket in the US persists at least in certain parts of the country.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pant remains our top batter. One "good" (in the context of this set of pitches) innings by Rohit, Axar, and now SkAY. The rest have been horrible. Dube was awful today too but to his credit hung in and did not get out. Got runs finally. So, I guess some credit to him too but he almost moved up the RRR to 8, which is a hard ask on this pitch ...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:56 pm ^^^Minor correction - Alexi Lalas was a defender and not a goalie. I think Brad Friedel was the goalie of the US team.
Of course! I still remember Lalas' sliding tackles from 1994. He was good!

I was thinking of that goalie that USA had in the PREVIOUS edition in 1990 when I typed it. A guy with an Italian name. He was also unexpectedly good.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:56 pm Will major league cricket have some impact. That will have to be the vehicle by which the popularity of cricket in the US persists at least in certain parts of the country.
If they make the final 8 this time, and manage to be there 2 years from now too, yes, people will notice. Americans are game for any sport, really.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Tony Meola. His father was Italian and had played in Italy's second division.

In the next 10-12 years, American cricket will be filled with expat players. But, when the American team does well, then some home-grown kid or like Meola, the child of an expat will be a home-grown player in the main team. Some failed baseball batter may shift gears perhaps ...