India in Zimbabwe 2022

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

India in Zimbabwe 2022

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

SQUAD:

Shikhar Dhawan (C), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shubman Gill, Deepak Hooda, Rahul Tripathi, Ishan Kishan (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Washington Sundar, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel, Avesh Khan, Prasidh Krishna, Mohammed Siraj, Deepak Chahar.
Rajkumar Sharma

Re: India in Zimbabwe 2022

V Iyer & Navdeep Saini should have been there. V Iyer is an international material he needs proper go before getting thrown away
Rajkumar Sharma

Terrible Selection Policy.
Rahul Tripathi 5 matches in VHT 2022 with 49+ average, not in the chart of most runs, neither have done anything outstanding to be the part of Odi set up. Another IPL selection in Odis. No chance for Prashant Chopra avg 57+ or batting allrounder Subham Sharma avg 69+despite among the top run getter in domestic odis in 2022 season.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

This looks like a pretty good selection to me. Rahul Tripathi has earned his stripes via the IPL -- consistency over several years. Rajat Patidar (after his Ranji final century, and excellent clutch performances in the IPL this year) should have been picked.
Rajkumar Sharma

Do we need Vizay Hazare One dayers? If an uncapped player gives consistent performances through IPL T20s and get picked for 50 over games.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:40 pm V Iyer & Navdeep Saini should have been there. V Iyer is an international material he needs proper go before getting thrown away
Venkatesh Iyer's splits show that he is very good against spin bowling but so so against pacers. That is, he cannot hit pacers. However, given our lack of allrounders, we should have played him and tried to get Dravid to help him hit pacers. Also, that is in T20Is and IPL. Maybe in ODIs you do not need to hit that much and he would have been fine.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:10 am This looks like a pretty good selection to me. Rahul Tripathi has earned his stripes via the IPL -- consistency over several years. Rajat Patidar (after his Ranji final century, and excellent clutch performances in the IPL this year) should have been picked.
PKB and I, of course, disagree on this for a long time. He thinks cricket is cricket and I think that we should make specialized selections. Tripathi is a very poor selection for ODIs. He would have been fine for T20Is. He is a terrible List-A player. Hope does not get very many chances here. Unless, we are talking about resting Dhawan. Then, I am fine.

My XI would be: Shikhar Dhawan (C), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shubman Gill, Deepak Hooda, Ishan Kishan (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, Prasidh Krishna, Mohammed Siraj, Deepak Chahar
Rajkumar Sharma

KL Rahul passed the fitness test, replaces Dhawan as Captain in Zimbabwe
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I'd actually want to see him replace Dhawan in my XI above and play all of Gaikwad, Gill, Hooda, Iyer, Kishan, Sampson, and Sundar, etc.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Not only play but play with 200+ target in mind from the get go. No setting up the innings. Everyone has to aim a boundary on every ball. Results be damned unless they impact ranking for the World Cup. Any bowler who cannot contribute with bat is not allowed in the team.
Rajkumar Sharma

Dhawan is the only Indian among the top run getter in odis in 2022. Batter who just plays only one format and has got performance should never been dropped unless he fails.
Rajkumar Sharma

Shahbaz Ahmed replaces injured Washington Sundar
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:34 am Dhawan is the only Indian among the top run getter in odis in 2022. Batter who just plays only one format and has got performance should never been dropped unless he fails.
These sort of simple rules do not make for good selection. If you want, you can use the word "rested". We need to use useless games against bottom-feeders to cap and give experience to our juniors. If there was a WC, I would slot in Dhawan for the opening slot in ODIs. In Zim, rest him. Or alternate between him and Rahul. Wrt Rahul, I want to play him to give him captaincy experience. We need to hone our next captain too.

Atithee, to the extent I know we are playing only ODIs in Zim. We should always target 350 as a team and keep an eye towards everyone striving towards a SR of 100, at least the first 4 batters, the next have to target 120 or whatever the scenario demands. Of course, pitch adjustments need to be made.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I would have my starting XI as Rahul, Ruturaj, Gill, Tripathi, Samson, Shahbaz, Axar, Chahar, Kuldeep, Krishna and Siraj. Out of the omissions, Dhawan is past his use-by-date, Avesh and Thakur are expensive and unreliable, Kishan has been a disappointment mostly and Hooda's bowling is weak as compared to Shahbaz. Ruturaj has also been a disappointment in his limited chances but he deserves more chances. If Shahbaz/Axar underperform, then a case could be made for bringing in Hooda. Avesh would be 1st choice replacement on the fast bowling side.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Wait, so you are finding fault in these youngsters who have had a handful of failures and often in a different version of cricket and ignoring the long body of failures Tripathi and Samson have had in the 50 over game in List-As? Really, we should be that desperate?

I'd have: Rahul, Gaikwad, Gill, Kishan, Tripathi, Hooda, DLC, Kuldeep, PK, Axar/Nadeem + one more pacer (Siraj?).

Your team has only six bowlers and four batsmen and one guy (Samson) who can really do nothing that well outside T20s. I think for a good ODI team we need seven solid batsmen.