Quadrangular Global Domestic T20 Series 2022 : Namibia

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Quadrangular Global Domestic T20 Series 2022 : Namibia

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Bengal, Namibia, Lahore Qalandars, South Africa
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espncr ... atform=amp
Rajkumar Sharma

Re: Quadrangular Global Domestic T20 Series 2022 : Namibia

Bengal Squad :

Abhimanyu Easwaran (captain), Abhishek Das, Ritwik Roy Chowdhury, Ranjot Singh Khaira, Shreyansh Ghosh, Karan Lal, Writtick Chatterjee, Shreyan Chakraborty, Shahbaz Ahmed, Abhishek Porel (wicketkeeper), Suprodip Debnath (wicketkeeper), Ishan Porel, Mukesh Kumar, Akash Deep, Soumyyadip Mondal, Ravi Kumar

Standby: Ankur Paul, Pradipta Parmanik, Debopratim Haldar, Siddharth Singh
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Does this event need a thread?... Or should we create a general thread for such events? If everybody feels it needs a thread, it is fine.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Already too much cricket, just track it as part of indian domestic or general cricket thread.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I am agnostic about new thread vs putting it in general cricket. Personally, maybe if asked to choose at gunpoint I may choose separate thread. The slight advantage is that if someone wants to look up what happened in this one, we can go directly to it. But, that is the same logic for everything. This is a weird sort of (or new type of) engagement. So, maybe different thread. But, if there are similar such things, we can change the title and make it broader and continue to use it.

There is my non-answer answer.
Rajkumar Sharma

Request to admin. Please delete this thread as the tour is cancelled
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/beng ... on-1328308
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Great!! I was debating whether to merge it with another thread, but was going to wait and see if there would be a lot of posts about it. If the whole thing is canceled, then I guess we don't have to worry. We will just leave it there for history :)

[I don't think we have ever deleted a thread on sports-india. Have we? I can't remember a thread that was horrible enough to delete. There were probably times when many here must have wished for the hockey thread to just get deleted so that they could take Indian hockey out of their minds though :) ]
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hockey? And not football? I think hockey has brought us joy many times. Not at the levels in the '60s or whenever but football has been awful. How can we struggle to beat Maldives? Or Bangladesh? Etc.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Football was never really good at even the world top-50 levels since the 50s, before all of our times, so the futility didn't hit badly enough for us to feel as depressed about football. But some of us remember India winning an Olympic bronze in 72, so we kept thinking we could get back to that level, which finally happened to our surprise at Tokyo.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Agreed in spirit. But, you are possibly factually wrong. In 1956, we were 4th in the Olympics. We were the best team in Asia in the 50s and maybe even a couple of years in the '60s. '51 Asian games, we beat Indonesia, Afghanistan and then Iran. We will regularly lose to Iran today. '58 Asian Games, we were 4th. '62 Asian Games gold beating South Korea. '64 - 2nd in Asian Cup. Thereafter downhill. Now we will get trounced by S. Korea, Iran, etc. This has been very disappointing to me even though all these happened before my time. I just heard the stories. We, at least, have some stories in hockey ... none in football. Maybe growing up in Bengal contributed to the disappointment.

Historically, there was one Mr. P.K.Banerjee who was possibly the best player in Asia in the early '60s. See: Asia Oceania Best Players All-time

No doubt, in hockey, we had a lot more and we have done a lot more. So, my disappointment is much less.