T20 World Cup, 2022

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

T20 World Cup, 2022

Post by prasen9 »

India's batting is sorting out although some players are not in good form and some are blowing hot and cold (Karthik, Jadeja, etc.). Here are the best batters by SR (lifetime):

SAY, Hooda, Hardik, Karthik, Rahul, Rohit, Shreyas, Kohli

That pretty much should be the eight batters selected. I would actually drop Kohli from the XI and not from the team to light a fire under him. Please let us avoid the temptation to get in the likes of Pant by disturbing this XI. That is what we did in the second international and third and the Pant for Hooda exchange dinged our batting.

I think batting in that order is not a bad experiment. We send our biggest guns in. If they keep hitting, we get a grand total. If they fall early, then we have the accumulators scrape out something as a salvage job.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: T20 World Cup, 2022

Post by Kumar »

India’s schedule is run by bunch of jokers! Unless they are going to prepare tracks with bounce like Australia, our team is going to get cooked.

India in west indies
India in zimbabwe
South africa in india,
Australia in India

Been losing interest with just overload of meaningless games and they want to increase IPL calendar by 2 more weeks.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I support increasing the IPL calendar by two weeks. We have too few games and random performances get rewarded. It also means less time for meaningless games like you said.

I do not think the schedule-makers really care about preparing the team. They are just trying to get as many games as possible to increase their TV money.

Having said that, it is very difficult to prepare for Australia. The best way is to let all our players, not playing elsewhere at that time, to play in the Big Bash. Next would be to RSA and then to NZ. Tours to RSA and NZ are expensive and they may not be available to host us every time we want to. We did the next best thing: play in England. However, we should have asked England to extend the tour with a few more limited overs games and scrapped Zimbabwe. Maybe we should ask Zimbabwe to prepare bouncy pitches?
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Our Venues in T20WC are Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and all are night games. It would be great to find a third pacer in the Playing XI who can bat a bit. English team will have great benefit in this situations, they have Willey, Overton, Sam Curran who are more then capable with the bat. Our team has, Shardul who is getting wickets but going for plenty, his batting is unpredictable, same goes with Harshal. Deepak Chahar can be beneficial in this situation but his problem is he has issues in bowling towards end of the innings
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shardul is too expensive for T20Is. Harshal is also expensive but not as much. DLC is very good but I do not know as you said how he will do in the final overs. I'd gamble with DLC. Or else go back to Harshal. :-(
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:14 pmI'd gamble with DLC. Or else go back to Harshal. :-(
If they pick DLC, then he have to complete his 4 over qouta before 10 overs, as he is least effective with old bowl, in that case Bhuvi & DLC will open the bowling and Bumrah will come as first change.Harshal might be effective in spin friendly Sydney or Adelaide, don't know wheather Melbourne or Perth track will hold his slower ones & cutters.
Rajkumar Sharma

India's 2011 World Cup Winning Mental Conditioning Expert Paddy Upton has been reappointed till T20WC 2022 in Australia
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ ... 93227.html
Rajkumar Sharma

Ricky Ponting push the pressure button first on India by putting India in T20WC 2022 Final
https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricke ... 2022-07-26

Are we really favourite ? with top order not firing, opponent left arm pacers creating a havoc damage, premiere batters struggling for runs,wicket keeper position not clear, finishers not clear
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Every team has problems. While we have problems against left-handed bowlers, that is not as fatal as it is meant out to be. We are also not that good against right-handed bowlers on bouncy or swinging pitches assisting them. Every team is similar. See New Zealand in England in tests. Having said that, I do no think this team will make the finals. I think semis is more likely.
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:29 pm Every team has problems. While we have problems against left-handed bowlers, that is not as fatal as it is meant out to be. We are also not that good against right-handed bowlers on bouncy or swinging pitches assisting them. Every team is similar. See New Zealand in England in tests. Having said that, I do no think this team will make the finals. I think semis is more likely.

2015 Bangladesh Tour - Mustafizur was unplayble

2016 Asia Cup - Amir blew away top order

2017 Champions Trophy - Amir tore apart indian top order in big final

2018 - England Tour Test matches. A new guy called Sam Curran crushed our hope

2019 CWC Semis - Boult ruined our hope to be in final

2020 NZ Tour Test - Boult & Wagner made havoc damage

2021 T20WC - Shaheen Afridi ended our proud lead against Pak in WCs

2021 SA Test Tour - Marco Jansen ended India's hope of wining test series in SA

2022 - England Tour - Reece Topley & Willey looked ominious for our top order

Among all these instances only 2016 Asia Cup & 2022 England tour, we appeared victorious after damage done by left arm pacers else it has been too much fatal when we needed glory
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So what? We played umpteen number of overs and umpteen number of bowlers. We got out to many right-handed bowlers too. Proves nothing. Left-handed bowlers, will of course, get wickets. Anecdotes prove nothing except those isolated events happened. And, this is a small minority of the many matches we played and many matches we lost to right-handed bowlers.

A more thorough analysis by Cricinfo shows that all that is generally bunk. I will try to find that analysis when I have the time.

In the meantime, our players are feasting on the weak WI opposition. I wonder who thought it was a smart idea to spend so much time playing West Indies to prepare for the T20 WC.

We have SAY at 37.5@175, Hooda 59@163, Pandya 23@143, Rahul 41@142, Karthik 31@142, Rohit 32@140, Kohli 50@138.

The pretenders are: Axar 20@138, Iyer 32@135, Kishan 31@133, Samson 22@135, Pandey 44@126, Pant 24@126, Jadeja 23@125, Padikkal 19@100, Rana 7.5@55

We see how badly Pant and Jadeja have performed. And, theirs is not small sample size. Maybe we take Iyer and Axar as the backup bats? Kohli, of course, is in terrible form and should be dropped and Kishan brought in but they are not going to do that.

Arshdeep has had a stellar start to his career perhaps feasting on easy opponents. But, still, he supposedly can bowl yorkers at the end, etc. So, we should give him all the rest of the matches and see what he can do.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kohli's recent record is terrible so not sure I would look at those aggregate stats.

KL
Rohit
SKY
Hardik
should be the top-6

But KL has been mysteriously injured for so long now.
Rajkumar Sharma

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:44 pm Kohli's recent record is terrible so not sure I would look at those aggregate stats.

KL
Rohit
SKY
Hardik
should be the top-6

But KL has been mysteriously injured for so long now.
Needs a left hander at the top to counter left arm pacers in swing & seam conditions of Aussie tracks
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We have won more in Australia than perhaps anywhere else in the traditionally pace friendly countries in the past 10 years or so. There is no point harping upon left arm seamers being a threat in all threads and by pointing various selected stats, Sharma ji. I respect your opinion, but you are one among many. We are not ignorant. So, please put a stop to it. We play the best team we can and results will be what they will be. Frankly, I think we have forgotten how to play spin. We play pacers okay now—left or right. In a right hand dominated world, lefties hold the advantage pretty much anywhere in any sport. Let’s talk about other issues such as bowling, all rounders, fielding, coaching, etc. to name a few.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Sharmaji, did you saw the ploy of our Right hand batsmans to counter WI left arm pacer McCoy, they were shifting their stance towards off stump during their trigger movement and was wacking the left armer's angled ball and inswingers for sixes towards long on. At present they have found the way to deal with it, once this method fails we will again talk on this topic :-)

BTW, when it comes to allrounders, Hardik is retiring from odis after 2023 WC, who is Hardik's back up ? Vijay Shankar & Rishi Dhawan is bits & pieces. Dube is poor with the ball. Venkat Iyer became tourist in Ireland tour, should have been there in Zimbabwe. That, Saurastra guy Prerak Mankad looks promishing, performed well in Mustaq Ali this season, hope he get a look from the selectors in A side