T20 World Cup, 2022

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: T20 World Cup, 2022

Post by ankit1407 »

That’s what happens when your coach comes from a mindset of survive first , unfortunately the game has moved on . in first 6 overs also we were trying so hard to hit through the field and just compare with Eng who just went over the field most time in PP..
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:28 pm After Rohit got out. SKY should'nt have been there as Rashid was brought in to bowl by England. Pant or Axar should have been given free hand and sent before SKY at 4 to take on Rashid. Indian team management tried alot of things in each T20I series before the WC but failed to make a tactical move when it mattered most in the T20WC.
Exactly. They tried attacking early on in non-consequential games and went into a shell when real games came up.

Yes, PKB, I am attacking Kohli. He scored 50 in 40 balls. That is 1/3rd of the innings. 50 piddly runs. On this flat pitch --- Adelaide has always been a batting pitch --- that is aweful. It was moronic.

Listen, Kohli's innings against Pakistan was a gem but the construction of it was terribly flawed. He got us into the doghouse and then by some fluke (and great skills) got us out. However, even with his great skills, that innings is a once in a lifetime innings.

When I used the word moron, that is because he was a moron today. And, I say that not in hindsight. A SR of 125 if spread over 1/3rd of the innings is basically death. If he was out in 10 balls, we may have had a better chance today. He just wasted resources. Just like his coach Dravid. Who brought us many ODI defeats by his very slow batting.

Buttler and England showed us how to bat. In fact, they have shown us how to bat for about 4=5 years due to which we had all this talk about intent up the order. Then, they went to Australia, saw the ball fizzing and bouncing and became the rats they are than the lions they tried to talk themselves into. Timid. And, useless. The top three were complete morons today. In T20Is, we do not need sheet anchors. Not a single one. Not certainly three as you acknowledged.

Maybe they should talk to SAY. He may be hitting a purple patch that he will not hit everyday. But, even when he does not score he does not use up balls. He leaves it for others to score. That is what T20 batting is about. Averages do not matter if scored at 125 SR. A half century is basically a guarantee for the other team if scored at 125.

Sad, for all the work that goes in, our coaches and strategists do not understand that. Even when teams like England, etc. show us how it is done year after year ... and in the IPL (see Buttler bat).
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

RIP Indian cricket. Last night, they lost one of their most ardent fans—me. I’m done watching live cricket.

To me, this is our Ashes moment. Shutting down IPL or letting Indians play in other leagues is the only way out of this.

Dravid, however, made some idiotic excuses when asked precisely this question. He said test cricket will die if we played in other leagues. About as dumb a reason as I’ve heard because none of our fraudsters play domestic cricket barring those who are constantly in and out of the team such as Pujara and Rahane. Go sell your snake oil somewhere else, Mr. Wall.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

I know this is as worst as it can get. However, Adelaide only had once 200+ run scored in T20 International.
Source: https://thesportsrush.com/cricket-news- ... run-chase/

The highest successful chase has been 158 on this ground. The team selection for both batsmen and bowlers seems to be worst. I never had faith in Dravid for T20 or ODI. I guess selectors are equally the culprit.
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Need to go back to 2007 and drop seniors. 2011 journey started from 2008 CB Series in Aus, 2023 journey should start from NZ.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India lost the SF in the first 10 overs, and the blame for that is on Rahul-Rohit primarily, and Kohli too. The latter is the anchor we need at the top of the order, but he also needs to be able to play differently when his partner is failing to accelerate. The openers must take the primary blame, though, because England actually had a pretty weak bowling attack -- with the first over bowled by Ben Stokes (the man who conceded 4 consecutive sixes in the 2016 final at the Eden). That Rohit and Rahul weren't able to take the attack to him and Woakes (another allrounder), and later Rohit-Kohli to the other allrounders Curran and Jordan, is the primary reason India lost. For Rohit to have blamed the bowlers alone was fatuous. But, yes, Bhuvi's first over (starting with a first ball wide) was a loser's over, much like Zaheer's in the ODI WC final of 2003 (I was there :-( and knew the match was lost in that first over).
Rajkumar Sharma

PKBasu wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:53 am India lost the SF in the first 10 overs, and the blame for that is on Rahul-Rohit primarily, and Kohli too. The latter is the anchor we need at the top of the order, but he also needs to be able to play differently when his partner is failing to accelerate. The openers must take the primary blame, though, because England actually had a pretty weak bowling attack -- with the first over bowled by Ben Stokes (the man who conceded 4 consecutive sixes in the 2016 final at the Eden). That Rohit and Rahul weren't able to take the attack to him and Woakes (another allrounder), and later Rohit-Kohli to the other allrounders Curran and Jordan, is the primary reason India lost.
There was still a chance to recover. What was Rohit & team management doing when Rashid came to ball? No body thought about sending Axar or Pant at 4 to take on Rashid, whose tight overs became factor. Like SKY, Yuvi was also in fiery form in WC 2011 but what MS did, he came in to bat at put Yuvi at 6. Sending SKY was worse move at that situation.
Rajkumar Sharma

England won the T20WC. Seeing it as savior of some careers now which was inline after loss in semi
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

How is the Indian media reaction to our top order clowns in the days afterwards?

Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I see Gavaskar is sucking up to Rohit as expected, who is blaming the bowlers.

Indian cricket is done. There is a cabal of ex and current players, who have no shame and shirk responsibility and can keep going back to winning bilaterals where no one cares.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am also delighted that Sam Curran won the MoS and the MoM in the final or something like that. That answers the pace brigade decisively. You need to be a bowler and you will be fine in Australia. Curran is slower than the feared Wood, etc., who in reality are actually not feared at all because after the advent of the helmet, a long time ago, international batters don't really fear pace that much. It is still a help but being able to bowl well overall is what matters the most.

1. Choose the fastest batters we have who can average 25 for the first seven batters. Find a keeper somewhere there.
2. Sort them in order of SRs and use that as a batting order. Tweak this if the order fails, e.g., if we see someone has a high SR but has vulnerability against pace and good against spin, send them at #4 or whatever.

If we fix the batting, then we try to find containing bowlers and wicket-takers and we should then be fine. But, without batters, we will lose badly always.

After all this talk about being proactive, I had thought that they would try. But, no, back to the old habits. Rohit, Rahul and Kohli need to go. Even if we do not have replacements for them.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I don't know how all the blame is being laid on the batsmen, when it clearly seems to lie more on the bowling front. If you look at the past group matches (6) on the same venue, no team had ever scored as many runs batting 2nd as what we did; hence ours was essentially a winning total, the short boundary argument notwithstanding. The ease with which ENG chased down the target suggests that any total less than 200 would have been insufficient for this spineless group. Our bowling attack is not only the weakest among all the Test playing nations, it is likely worse than even Afghanistan's. I don't think we can dream to win any more trophies (either in LOIs or Tests) until we unearth some new bowling talents. If you look at 2011 WC, we had some pretty decent bowlers in Zaheer, Nehra, Munaf, Harbhajan and Yuvraj.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely, the bowling was horrible. We don't have a legspinner. Our bowlers cannot bat. That puts pressure on the batting. Apart from Bumrah, we have zero world-class bowlers. All our bowlers, minus Bumrah, would struggle to be a regular in a top nation's T20I team.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It was a bizarre decision to compensate Ashwin for the unfairness in test cricket selection by picking him for T20Is. At the last IPL, Ashwin struggled to get wickets -- and was basically a defensive bowler with a decent economy rate but little wicket-taking ability. Picking him was a towering act of defensiveness (very much in the Mr. Wall mode). So if he was picked for his lower-order batting, we needed a wicket-taking spinner (Bishnoi would be the ideal choice, or Kuldeep Yadav; but from the squad in Australia, Chahal should have played); if a spinner-who-can-bat was to be picked, Axar over Ashwin anyday (but certainly not BOTH!!).

Bhuvi had a decent World Cup, as did Arshdeep (especially the latter). But Bhuvi does seem to collapse in must-win matches. He was awful in the SF, especially the disastrous first over.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Axar arguably may be a worse batter than Ashwin and a worse bowler in Aussie conditions. We decided to have only three bowlers who are #10-11s and were reluctant to add a 4th. The better option would have been to play a bowler who can bat a la DLC instead of Shami but they thought Shami would be a wicket-taker. In essence, the 15 was so flawed that we could not really play any combination that would work. We need a few more good bowlers who can bat a bit and a few more batters who can bowl a bit in order to avoid this nonsense.

Chahal has long shown that he cannot contain. Ashwin has shown he cannot take wickets. We keep going back between these instead of trying someone like Bishnoi and giving them a long run to improve. Or for that matter rehabilitating Kuldeep if it is possible. Ideally, we should now play and groom some leggie who can bat. I liked Shreyas Gopal but maybe he is not in form and getting old. Whoever is the next leggie who can bowl well and bat a bit, say average 15-20 at a SR of 135 should be chosen and given 10-15 matches.