ACC Asia Cup

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

ACC Asia Cup

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Asia Cup is one of the oldest and renowned cricket tournament started back in 1984, when the Asian blocs in form of BCCI & BCCP ( now PCB) taking high initiative in forming Asian Cricket Council ( ACC) in 1983 along with Bangladesh & Sri Lanka. It was made to make the asian blocs strong against the ICC which were dominated by ECB, Cricket Australia back in 80s. Slowly and steadily this tournament gained popularity and now its one of the popular tournament as arch rivals India Pak faces each other that creates huge interest world wide and in this era teams like Bangladesh or Sri Lanka which were weak opponents once in this tournament are also considered now as strong opponents. Afghanistan has also added flavour to this tournament after they got full member status.

Members of ACC has now shaped this tournament keeping in mind the ICC events. They shape it as T20Is or Odis depending on which World Cup is around, as a preparation for the asian teams

Winners list :

1984 - India, 1986 - Sri Lanka, 1988 - India, 1990 - India, 1995 - India, 1997 - Sri Lanka, 2000 - Pakistan, 2004 - Sri Lanka, 2008 - Sri Lanka, 2010 - India, 2012 - Pakistan, 2014 - Sri Lanka, 2016 - India, 2018 - India
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rajkumar Sharma

Re: ACC Asia Cup

15th edition of Asia Cup will be of T20I format with Sri Lanka to be the host
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/asia ... 22-1306348
Rajkumar Sharma

Asia Cup 2022 getting shifted in UAE. Another win the toss
win the tournament
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

How come Bangladesh has never hosted this?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^^I’m pretty sure they did. I think India chased around 350 against Pakistan, IIRC in one of the matches.

Edit: yes, they have multiple times
https://www.sportsunfold.com/asia-cup-winners/

In fact, looks like India has never hosted it. Strange.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ Oh I misread Rajkumar's first post. It was the winners list. I don't know why I thought it was the host list :) ...

Yes, it is weird that we have never hosted it.
Rajkumar Sharma

jayakris wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:00 pm ^^ Oh I misread Rajkumar's first post. It was the winners list. I don't know why I thought it was the host list :) ...

Yes, it is weird that we have never hosted it.
No mate, we have hosted in 1990 where we won the final beating Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens
Rajkumar Sharma

Malaysia should have been given host of Asia Cup 2022, they have successfully hosted 2008 U19 World Cup in 9 venues. Its sad, that ACC haven't took any measure in spreading the game when more hosting options were available except in Asian top cricket nations and the middle east
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:26 am Malaysia should have been given host of Asia Cup 2022, they have successfully hosted 2008 U19 World Cup in 9 venues. Its sad, that ACC haven't took any measure in spreading the game when more hosting options were available except in Asian top cricket nations and the middle east
The lack of attempts to truly spread cricket around the world was partly why I lost interest in cricket some 20 years ago. They just do nothing strategically to spread the game. Even in places where there is a chance, like Malaysia, Singapore, etc.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:26 am Malaysia should have been given host of Asia Cup 2022, they have successfully hosted 2008 U19 World Cup in 9 venues. Its sad, that ACC haven't took any measure in spreading the game when more hosting options were available except in Asian top cricket nations and the middle east
It was not possible for Malaysia to host it because the Malaysian Cricket association lost their only International standard Ground the Kinnara Oval last month , when the landlord's took it back after 18 years of sparse use of the Ground and moreover the Malaysian Association got no help from the ACC or ICC in any form to extend the lease for few extra years.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

I remember that 1984 Asia Cup innaugral edition in UAE, India Pakistan game went to thriller, India posted 188 total in 46 over then Shastri & Roger Binny rolled over Pakistan for 134. Spinners became hard to play in second innings of day game at Sharjah, Binny got success with his slowers and change of pace deliveries against quality Pak batting line up that included legendary Zaheer Abbas & Javed Miandad
Rajkumar Sharma

Hope selectors goes for selection of 15 fully fit players not like T20 WC where selection of some players was under doubt.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Sports media is circulating wrong views. Asia Cup squad can't be the World Cup squad, there is huge difference in conditions between the two venues.UAE is slow, sluggish spin friendly tracks whereas Australian tracks are fast, bouncy pacer friendly, requires difference skill of players.
Rajkumar Sharma

Based on UAE conditions will go for this 15 in Asia Cup:
KL Rahul, R Sharma,V Kohli, SKY, D Hooda, D Karthik, R Pant,
H Pandya, R Jadeja,H Patel, Bumrah, Bhuvi, Arshdeep, Chahal, Kuldeep.If KL misses out due to injury I Kishan will be the replacement
Rajkumar Sharma

Harshal Patel out of Asia Cup and doubtful for the T20 World Cup.Now fight for his spot will be among Thakur, Deepak Chahar, Avesh Khan, Umran Malik or even Shami. But team will miss his services, could have been a match winner as his style of bowling fully suits UAE condition