Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Great start for India beating Proteas. Wining tough match early will definately make the players perform rest of the games without any pressure
Rajkumar Sharma

Re: Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

Massive win for young guns after covid spread in the camp. Bench strength did the job. Seeing Sindhu, Hangragekar, Bawa in 2023 50 over World Cup for India.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Heading for a big win v Australia in the semi final. Impressive all round performance.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 am Massive win for young guns after covid spread in the camp. Bench strength did the job. Seeing Sindhu, Hangragekar, Bawa in 2023 50 over World Cup for India.
This type of big hype always happens and while some work out, most fizzle out. I do not think there will be three U-19s in the Indian team next year. There is a huge gap between U-19 and international cricket. Actually, between U-19 and our A-team tours. Possibly between U-19 and even our domestic or IPL. I have seen Unmukt Chand hyped, Baba Aparajith, Mandeep, Goswami, Porel, and even lately Shaw and Gill. Maybe Gill has made it to the fringes and will eventually become a regular but a lot like Chand looked stellar in the U-19s but did not have it in them to take the next step. Pant has been the only one who sort of made the team more directly and that was because we had a void/opening after Dhoni. Hyping the U-19s and saying that they will be all in the team in a few years is not going to happen. Maybe 1 at most 2 but I can guarantee not 3. I can almost guarantee that not even 1 will make it unless, of course, they create a storm in the IPL (which unfortunately has become the be-all and end-all of our domestic cricket much to the detriment of our ODI and test teams).
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 am Massive win for young guns after covid spread in the camp. Bench strength did the job. Seeing Sindhu, Hangragekar, Bawa in 2023 50 over World Cup for India.
This type of big hype always happens and while some work out, most fizzle out. I do not think there will be three U-19s in the Indian team next year. There is a huge gap between U-19 and international cricket. Actually, between U-19 and our A-team tours. Possibly between U-19 and even our domestic or IPL. I have seen Unmukt Chand hyped, Baba Aparajith, Mandeep, Goswami, Porel, and even lately Shaw and Gill. Maybe Gill has made it to the fringes and will eventually become a regular but a lot like Chand looked stellar in the U-19s but did not have it in them to take the next step. Pant has been the only one who sort of made the team more directly and that was because we had a void/opening after Dhoni. Hyping the U-19s and saying that they will be all in the team in a few years is not going to happen. Maybe 1 at most 2 but I can guarantee not 3. I can almost guarantee that not even 1 will make it unless, of course, they create a storm in the IPL (which unfortunately has become the be-all and end-all of our domestic cricket much to the detriment of our ODI and test teams).

Rohit played 2006 Under19 WC made debut in 2007, Kohli played 2008 U19WC made debut in 2009. Manish Pandey was more hyped batsman in that WC then Kohli. The real deal is domestic cricket where both Kohli /Rohit/ Jadeja/ Pujara/ Gill performed, set fire and got picked for senior team within one or two years of their Under 19 days. Porel is not hyped, he is giving performances in domestic and now playing India A and working as net bowler in senior team.

Chand, Saurabh Tiwary, Pandey, Aparajith never had that eye opening performance in domestic as a result they failed.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yash Dhull made a run a ball 110 to lead India to a big 96 run victory in the SF against Australia. Very impressive batting from him in a key match. He was unlucky to be run out off team mate Sheikh Rashid's straight drive, which the bowler managed to touch on the way to the non-striker's wicket. Left arm spinner Vicky Ostwal and left-arm swing bowler Ravi Kumar are the others who have impressed in the last 2 matches (including the QF against holders Bangladesh).
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I agree with Prasen. Any one remember Reetinder Singh Sodhi. He was considered a protege. We need some of this players to really make it count.

Further, the indian team seems very risk averse when it comes to their batting line up. I don’t see any one of them making 2023 wc squad.May be they make it to the 2024 t20 wc if things break the right way
Rajkumar Sharma

Kumar wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:16 pm
I agree with Prasen. Any one remember Reetinder Singh Sodhi. He was considered a protege. We need some of this players to really make it count.

Further, the indian team seems very risk averse when it comes to their batting line up. I don’t see any one of them making 2023 wc squad.May be they make it to the 2024 t20 wc if things break the right way
Many are there but out of them few are like Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja, Pant,Gill, Kisan who performed massively in domestic cricket & IPL within few years of their Under 19 days and got selected for the national team

Definately seeing Dhull, Rasheed, Bawa, Sindhu, Hangragekar among the World Cup 2023 probables with full domestic season & IPL taking place, a huge opportunity for them to perform in domestic and get selected.

The biggest plus point of this under19 squad is plenty are there who can bat & bowl effectively, the talents which senior team is dying to have as none of the top 5 in present Indian XI can bowl few overs ( Dhawan, Rohit, Virat, KL, Pant, SKY, Shreyas). Within this season number 5th & 6th spot audition will be over for 2023 World Cup
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:29 pm Many are there but out of them few are like Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja, Pant,Gill, Kisan who performed massively in domestic cricket & IPL within few years of their Under 19 days and got selected for the national team.
For each of these guys, who by the way played in U-19 cricket over what a 15 year span between Rohit and Pant/Gill? And all of a sudden, we will have three players from the same year into the WC squad? Utter nonsense. Why will something that has not happened ever happen? The selectors, as Kumar, said are very risk-averse when sending teams to the ODI WC and there is some rationale for that. I will eat one of my shoes if 3 of this team goes to the WC ODI squad (COVID-havoc notwithstanding).

The last time this may have happened was when Piyush, Rohit, Praveen, and Ishant made their debuts when they were about 19-20 years. But, debuts and being in the WC team are not the same. And, if you look at today, among the last 20 players tried, maybe only Prithvi and Rahul Chahar were 21 when they were tried. Kisan was over 21, I think when he debuted. Gill was 20. And all of them are out or at the fringe still. We have not had players become regulars in the ODI team under 25 except Pant, who is getting rewarded for his test exploits. But Pant is the exception.

Looking at it another way, we try between 4-6 new players in ODIs every year and there are a lot more players who are over 21 than under and the over-21s overwhelmingly dominate because they are more seasoned, more proven. There is no way we are going to see three U-19 players break out and establish themselves when we try 4-6 players. In the next year or two at most 1-2 will establish themselves. My money would be on none irrespective of how talented they are.
Within this season number 5th & 6th spot audition will be over for 2023 World Cup
Yes, and the sun will also rise in the west. Actually, if it is over, then the people who will have won would be Shreyas and Pant. Because, that is who will get the chance this season and for any new ones there is just not enough time to go through the IPL, A-team, ODI team, etc. before they get into a world cup team.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:52 am Rohit played 2006 Under19 WC made debut in 2007, Kohli played 2008 U19WC made debut in 2009. Manish Pandey was more hyped batsman in that WC then Kohli. The real deal is domestic cricket where both Kohli /Rohit/ Jadeja/ Pujara/ Gill performed, set fire and got picked for senior team within one or two years of their Under 19 days. Porel is not hyped, he is giving performances in domestic and now playing India A and working as net bowler in senior team.

Chand, Saurabh Tiwary, Pandey, Aparajith never had that eye opening performance in domestic as a result they failed.
Show me one world cup where we had three U-19 players from the year before play. End of story. Just like Chand, etc. could not perform in domestics and failed, most U-19 players are hyped during the U-19 world cup and then fail. Most from among this team will also fail. That is the way the law of averages goes.
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:44 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:52 am Rohit played 2006 Under19 WC made debut in 2007, Kohli played 2008 U19WC made debut in 2009. Manish Pandey was more hyped batsman in that WC then Kohli. The real deal is domestic cricket where both Kohli /Rohit/ Jadeja/ Pujara/ Gill performed, set fire and got picked for senior team within one or two years of their Under 19 days. Porel is not hyped, he is giving performances in domestic and now playing India A and working as net bowler in senior team.

Show me one world cup where we had three U-19 players from the year before play. End of story. Just like Chand, etc. could not perform in domestics and failed, most U-19 players are hyped during the U-19 world cup and then fail. Most from among this team will also fail. That is the way the law of averages goes.
OMG :roll: You are so much confident that these Under 19s will fail like Chand & Co.
Rajkumar Sharma

Not three but Rohit was there in 2007 T20 WC who performed in crucial games 50 against SA in Semi, after 2006 U19 WC
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:37 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:29 pm Many are there but out of them few are like Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja, Pant,Gill, Kisan who performed massively in domestic cricket & IPL within few years of their Under 19 days and got selected for the national team.
For each of these guys, who by the way played in U-19 cricket over what a 15 year span between Rohit and Pant/Gill? And all of a sudden, we will have three players from the same year into the WC squad? Utter nonsense. Why will something that has not happened ever happen? The selectors, as Kumar, said are very risk-averse when sending teams to the ODI WC and there is some rationale for that. I will eat one of my shoes if 3 of this team goes to the WC ODI squad (COVID-havoc notwithstanding).

The last time this may have happened was when Piyush, Rohit, Praveen, and Ishant made their debuts when they were about 19-20 years. But, debuts and being in the WC team are not the same. And, if you look at today, among the last 20 players tried, maybe only Prithvi and Rahul Chahar were 21 when they were tried. Kisan was over 21, I think when he debuted. Gill was 20. And all of them are out or at the fringe still. We have not had players become regulars in the ODI team under 25 except Pant, who is getting rewarded for his test exploits. But Pant is the exception.

Looking at it another way, we try between 4-6 new players in ODIs every year and there are a lot more players who are over 21 than under and the over-21s overwhelmingly dominate because they are more seasoned, more proven. There is no way we are going to see three U-19 players break out and establish themselves when we try 4-6 players. In the next year or two at most 1-2 will establish themselves. My money would be on none irrespective of how talented they are.
Within this season number 5th & 6th spot audition will be over for 2023 World Cup
Yes, and the sun will also rise in the west. Actually, if it is over, then the people who will have won would be Shreyas and Pant. Because, that is who will get the chance this season and for any new ones there is just not enough time to go through the IPL, A-team, ODI team, etc. before they get into a world cup team.
Definately sun will rise in west.Selectors will definately reward the domestic performers no matter what the age is.If not 3, one or two for sure ,as plenty of allround talent is there. Their inclusion in domestic already started
https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/u19-sen ... es-2747691

India lost 3 back to back overseas odi series with the fragile middle order and also struggled with 5th bowling option as the option turned to be neither wicket taking nor scoring runs, and India's top 4 doesn't bowl. Shreyas, Pant, SKY are too much hyped cricketer they can't take India to 300 with 20/3 in the board or win the game by chasing when top order fails. Inconsistent Pant will be very soon compared to Afridi who used to win few games surprisingly and gave away his wicket when it was required to stay at the wicket. He lost more games for Pak then wins . Pant is very lucky that other wicket keepers are not getting such support, his hype will come to end soon. Shreyas has got problem with short ball after NZ series in 2020 he has been doing nothing except Tiktok. SKY is 31, being so much experienced he should have won the game for India in last one day against SA.

Only luck for them, India is not playing overseas much except England Odis which will be acid test probably the last chance for them to cement their place in Odis. At present they are going to enjoy lollipops of WI, SL, Afghan. Quickfire 50s or tons are highly expected from Shreyas, Pant or SKY.WI bowling is worst, unless any surprise by outstanding performances, SL & Afghan is all about Hasaranga & Rashid Khan, experts will say Indian middle order woos are solved as they are going to bash this weak sides.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:36 am

OMG :roll: You are so much confident that these Under 19s will fail like Chand & Co.
Yes. I am confident in statistics. Why are you all talk and no action? Instead of blowing hot air and spewing nonsense, all you have to do is to show me in the past umpteen world cups where we had three 20-21 year olds who played in a U-19 WC the year before and played in the senior WC the year after. If you are so confident about this happening, just show me when it (three players) happened before as you were hoping/claiming will from this team. U-19 players are always hyped and most fail. And, if it has never happened before especially in the last decade or so, then why will it happen now? Is there any specific evidence? Are these guys averages double (in batting) of their peers? Half in bowling? Or what? Miracles do not happen. I am confident. I cannot tell you who will fail. But, I can tell you that three characters from this team will not make the 2023 WC team. Guaranteed.
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:38 am Not three but Rohit was there in 2007 T20 WC who performed in crucial games 50 against SA in Semi, after 2006 U19 WC
Right. One may happen. I did not say that anyone cannot. You said three people will make it to the WC team. That is what I was objecting to. And, you had to go back to Rohit in 2007, fourteen years ago to find a case. Shows you how rare that is and how rare it is in these days.

Another way would be to look at U-19 captains. Typically, the captains are the best or near-best players in the team.

Pagnis, Kaif, Parthiv, Dinesh Kartik, Ravikanth Shukla, Kohli, Menaria, Chand, Zol, Kishan, Shaw.

How many had a good career? Kohli is a great. Kaif was a regular. Parthiv and Dinesh were at times. The jury is still out for Kishan and Shaw. About 50% of the captains do not even make the Indian team. Only three of these, i.e., 3/9, ever played a WC match. Not counting the last two.

So, if you were betting, you'd be better off betting an individual will fail to make the Indian team than make it, leave aside the WC.