Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

This is looking funny now. After Kalra's incident, BCCI set rule that included bone test for real age prediction and one under 19 player will represent just one U19WC. Is bone test done or not in selection of players ? Does the test is authentic ?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Bone age tests are not very accurate.

This is the one of the research i found. But a very small sample.

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sajr/ar ... 34492/6416
The average difference between the chronological and skeletal ages was -0.5 years (95% confidence interval: -0.9 - -0.1 years), with a maximum under- prediction of 2.4 years and maximum over-prediction of 0.9 years.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

But, it can perhaps be used with the margin of error accounted for. For example, if the over-prediction is 0.9 years, then if it predicts one full year ahead, we can with other evidence conclude that most possibly the person is over age? Of course, one could cheat at age 21 and still come out as U-19 if they have underdeveloped bones.

On the other hand, it may not be a bad idea if someone has underdeveloped bones a few years more. The reason is that most possibly that person suffered from malnutrition and comes from a poorer class of society. So, they develop a bit slower and giving a bit of rope to equalize for that is perhaps okay. Meaning that because they did not get all the facilities, maybe they will be a late bloomer.

There is no fool-proof method though. But, in some cases, documentation irregularities is to be expected with age-fudging if one investigates?

While you cannot investigate everyone, you could perhaps investigate all members of a U-19 team and disqualify them if someone in the team has age-fudged. This would distribute the onus of checking age more carefully to the respective teams. But, all that takes some organization to do it well.
suresh

Post by suresh »

How the system let down Rajyavardhan Hangargekar

How an investigation revealed India's U19 World Cup hero had falsified his age and how we can make sure such tragedies never happen again.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Then the cheating will happen and perhaps already happens when they are first enrolled in school. One of my dad's friends had his age fudged by five years. He did not have any birth certificate and nobody supposedly knew his exact date of birth. This is, of course, 80 years ago. But, I have always wondered how a nine year old --- that was when he first went to school --- could be termed as four year old!!! :-) Now with this, I think maybe there were multiple fudges, i.e., someone in the schools were involved to change the dates after he had joined. Otherwise, that would be totally ridiculous and laugh-worthy.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Oh, the problem is that the emperor has no clothes. Ganguly's age was fudged by a year at least. I have heard from very reliable sources, believe me. He even adjusted his age after his career began officially.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

He was 5 years my senior in school and he didn't fail. So he must have been 72 born. By the way in school he was a good student. He was an average cricketer known for his bowling. His running sense was pathetic so he more often than not got run out while batting. However, in those days they had great football team and he was part of it. Not sure where you got the information about his age fudging.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, a friend of his sister's told me he was '71 born. But, maybe you are right. Or maybe he has corrected it. I think there was some news articles and confusion when he was just selected and then unfairly chucked out without being given a proper chance. I have to go back to old newspaper archives to look up. He possibly made an announcement, etc. fixing things. Unfortunately, Google News Archive does not let me search. So, will have to do it once I am in Kolkata ...
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I just read the names of kids in USA u19 team. Playing 11 is full of indian origin kids. Really surprising no kids from pakistan or srilanka origin.

By the way, interesting that 8 bowlers from indian u19 bowled in the tournament. Let us see how many of them go on to bowl in senior set up.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, it's nice to see the USA XI comprised of 100% NRI names. Nice antidote to the UAE, Oman, etc which are filled with Pakistanis (with only a sprinkling of Indians). I presume the NRIs are wealthier and hence have better access to good facilities than the NRPs and NRBs.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sarfaraz's brother Musheer Khan is looking more and more like an emerging star. A century and 2/10 against NZ today, as the Indian kids won by a massive margin.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Chasing 244, India struggling at 10-2 with musheer khan dismissed cheaply as well
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

They win despite the hiccup. Much like against Nepal in a prior game. I vaguely remember them losing to Bangladesh in Asia Cup Final? The finalist here is awaited from the winner of Aus-Pak Semifinal.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

ommendable performance from Udhay Saharan and Sachin Dhas. Did npt expect them to fight back from 32-4.

Good to see 7 bowlers bowling .

Interesting super six format. The group leaders that advance to super six did not play each other. Similarly the 2 place finisher did not play the second play finisher from other group. So india did not face Pakistan. Bangladesh did not face NZ . Wondering if the T20 wc will follow a similar format. Consequence of this format is that defeat in group matches is difficult to come back and margin of error is less.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Interesting scoreboard. The best thing that happened to us was that Aravelly Avanish got out. That paved the way for the guy who opened our bowling come in and play a fearless innings. Avanesh got out in the last ball of the 47th over after scoring 10 off 18. He had pushed the required run rate to 7.3. Limbani came and hit 13 off 4 balls. The guy also opens our bowling. It is great to see a #9 coming and doing this. Maybe we have hope. The next gen needs to be made of athletes who can do multiple things.

Thus, Dhas was the difference but Saharan got the MoM. Go figure.