India in South Africa, 2021-22

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in South Africa, 2021-22

Post by prasen9 »

We should not go by "latest" any stats. They are small sample size. Even one full season is only 9 matches or so.

But, your other point about him being their highest run scorer among top batters, and taking match factors into account is very valid. Unfortunately, there is not an easy way for me to do that. People who have the raw data can do that.

I guess I was also being influenced by his abject failure in the match he got in RSA. But, again that is too small sample size.

It may be that Ruturaj and Padikkal are more talented and will be eventually better than the lot being tried now but Easwaran and Panchal performed better than Padikkal in the chances they got now. And, we are talking about now. It will do no harm to Ruturaj and Padikkal if they hone their skills in the domestics, figure out how to dominate the domestics a few seasons in a row and then they get into the team in, say a year's time or bit more if they score.

It is fine by me if they mature and then get in, a la Rohit. Rohit failed badly before when he played overseas. He has improved as he matured. We should let these two mature too and prove themselves and then be given the chance.

Anyway, Rohit and Rahul are possibly going to be our settled openers for now. So, I am looking more at MO bats. Sarfaraz seems quite talented though I have not seen him bat in a FC game.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Mayank looks good while he bats. Why can’t he be moved to middle order when Rohit returns?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe he will be. But, his technique is fundamentally flawed and he is no spring chicken. I am all for playing him in India where that front foot off-balance technique works pretty well. But, for abroad, we need to find someone else who is much more solid. Ideally, we want to find people who can do well in all grounds but horses for courses is good if we do not have horses that work in all courses. Just my (biased) opinion. I am not against trying him in the MO.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

But I am hoping (against hope?) that Chet and Raha will score 75s each in this test inning and lead India to a famous series victory. Go do it C & A.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

They are moving in that direction. Both are 50+ and playing busily. India is averaging over 4 runs an over.

Edit: Spoke too soon! Rahane gone for 58.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pant may have gift-wrapped the series to RSA. :-(
ssp

Post by ssp »

Ashwin got out within 2 balls of me checking the score. Some things never change. However, I'm pleasantly surprised that we lost only 4 wickets in that session ;) Pant's not reliable enough to be batting at 6.

All down to Shardul & Vihari to take us close to a 200 lead, although that may not be enough. 250 lead seems out of reach now.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

This cameo by Sahrdul the tiger may be the game changer.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think Vihari played really well. So did Rahane, Pujara and Shardul.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Gade did indeed play very well. On the balance, I would say Vihari batted better than Ashwin and should be seen as a better bat on SENA countries despite his poor-ish record. Now, Ashwin will have to chip in with wickets to show his value too if we want to consider him an allrounder (as opposed to a batsman) in such wickets. Don't know what the wicket will be like for the next venue though. Maybe that will assist spin a bit.

Anyway, hope God again helps us win. He has helped us in I2 and I3 (of the match). Now go do your country proud in I4.
ssp

Post by ssp »

South Africa have started brilliantly. 29-0 with few alarms.
suresh

Post by suresh »

ssp wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:34 pm South Africa have started brilliantly. 29-0 with few alarms.
Why are you watching? :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

Went away for an hour. Only 1 wicket. South Africa cruising 88/1
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrible opening spell from Bumrah set up South Africa nicely. He kept bowling outswingers outside the off-stump, and all the batsman needed to do was let them go through to the 'keeper.

Vihari actually batted very poorly. He was even backing away to the legside when facing Rabada. But he got lucky because the field was spread out for the later overs (as SA tried to prevent boundaries off the first 4 balls, then came in for the last two balls, giving ample opportunities for Vihari to score easy runs).

Our bowlers need to start stacking up the wickets quickly!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ashwin delivers one, with a beauty. We need a couple more to get back on an even keel.