New Zealand in India, 2021 (3 T20Is, 2 Tests)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

New Zealand in India, 2021 (3 T20Is, 2 Tests)

Post by PKBasu »

New Zealand will play 3 T20Is (Jaipur, Ranchi, Kolkata) and 2 tests (in Kanpur and Mumbai) in November-December 2021.

The India squad for the T20Is against NZ is as follows:
Rohit Sharma (Captain), KL Rahul (Vice-Captain), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan (wicket-keeper), Venkatesh Iyer, Yuzvendra Chahal, R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Avesh Khan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Deepak Chahar, Harshal Patel, Mohd. Siraj
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: New Zealand in India, 2021 (3 T20Is, 2 Tests)

Post by Kumar »

I hate the fact that Pant was not rested. Would have liked KL to be rested, so that Gaikwad could open. Very difficult for Gaikwad to get a chance unless KL is rested .

Not really convinced Harshal or Venkatesh is the answer. Especially venkatesh technique looks dodgy. Considering that we will play in Australia (t20 we), should consider Gill to be back into squad.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

While it's good that a few of the upcoming talent got selected, too many of the old guard is also there, who we know are not giving us the desired results (Rahul, Pant, Bhuvi, Ashwin), hence it's not clear if the youngsters will get enough playing time. So overall it's a mixed bag. I would have rather had dropped Rahul, picked Samson over Pant, Shivam Mavi over Bhuvi and Ravi Bishnoi over Ashwin. Currently it doesn't look like Kishan will get a chance and one of Ruturaj/ SKY will miss out and one of Avesh/Harshal will miss out. The squad is just too big for a small 3 match series.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Lots of rotation, rest, etc. happening in the home test series against the reigning WTC champions. Rohit (the best batsman in the last couple of series), Bumrah, Shami, Pant have been rested -- presumably for the key away series in South Africa (where a victory looks likely this time, post-Steyn).

So the team for the first test at Kanpur is Rahane (c), Rahul, Mayank, Pujara (vc), Gill, Shreyas Iyer, Saha (wk), Bharat (wk), Jadeja, Ashwin, Axar Patel, Jayant Yadav, Ishant, Umesh, Siraj, Prasidh Krishna. Kohli will lead the side in the second test at Mumbai.

Jayant Yadav's selection is really quite bizarre. But this is what happens when there is no domestic first-class cricket going on. Looks as if 3 spinners may play in the first test. I suspect Bharat will play ahead of Saha, as Bharat is perceived to be a better batsman.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Are we playing with 4 bowlers or 5 bowlers. I don’t think this test is a gimme. Very likely the line up is Gill, KL, Puajara, Rahane, Mayank, Saha or Bharath, Jadeja, Ashwin, Ishant, Siraj, Umesh

There is no way, we are playing two off spinners and left arm spinner , so we are either going with 3 pacers or play only 4 bowlers.

Shreyas Iyer should have been sent to play the A squad. Wasting him carrying drinks and I would have preferred that Prasidh also was sent.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kanpur is traditionally a spinners' paradise. I think we will be playing 3 spinners -- Ashwin, Jadeja and Axar Patel (who showed how good he is on spinning tracks last year against England). I think the pacers will be Umesh and Siraj (or possibly Ishant).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good win for India in the first T20I in Jaipur, although winning the toss helped of course. Ashwin bowled a superb final over to finish with 2/23 (both wickets falling in his 4th over). Siraj and Chahar were expensive pacers, while Bhuvi was quite brilliant. Suryakumar Yadav was adjudged MoM, although I think Ashwin made a bigger impact on the match.
indiansportsfan

Yeah, but the whole point of the series is lost because we did not try out any youngsters, except for Venkatesh Iyer. It just got affirmed that Shreyas Iyer is likely not suitable for this format, and Deepak Chahar is likely not long term option too. Even though Bhuvi did well here, I don't have enough confidence he will do well the next time too, because he has been so inconsistent the last few years as we saw in the WC too.

We really need to try out Rituraj, Avesh and Harshal in the remaining matches. No point sticking with Bhuvi, D Chahar and Shreyas Iyer. I feel Dravid is very conservative in his approach, and having him as coach will not give the desired results. We need someone to shake things up, ala Greg Chappell.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Greg Chappell is probably the worst coach from player relationship perspective! He has issues with every player in the team.

I am not convinced that Dravid is the answer. Hopefully I am wrong.

We need to give Shreyas Iyar more opportunity. At least give him this entire series.

This would be my proposed line up

Rohit Sharma, Rituraj, SkY, Shreyas Iyer, Venaktesh Iyer, KL

Want to see if KL can play the middle order role(or Rituraj). I oscillate on Pant. His strike rate is not very impressive for the position he plays.
indiansportsfan

Greg Chappell reference was more tongue-in-cheek, he was terrible, I just meant someone with the ability to challenge the status quo. In your lineup, there is no WK. Rahul could play that role, but he is even worse than Pant for that late middle order slot. I would rather choose Kishan. Shreyas Iyer could play for the time being just because there are no replacements.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

indiansportsfan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 am Greg Chappell reference was more tongue-in-cheek, he was terrible, I just meant someone with the ability to challenge the status quo. In your lineup, there is no WK. Rahul could play that role, but he is even worse than Pant for that late middle order slot. I would rather choose Kishan. Shreyas Iyer could play for the time being just because there are no replacements.

Yes, Want to see if KL can keep and can play as middle order bat. We need to try all options as our current options are Not good.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am glad that Deepak Chahar is getting his chances but he has not really done well in this series. Still, his overall work has been good and maybe he should get another series. Harshal Patel bowled very well today. I am surprised and disappointed that Natarajan and Saini were not given a fair run. Nata got 4 matches and Saini 8. Both did very well in the chances they got. Maybe the tail gets too long and we can only play one of them. Still, they should have been in the overall team. What are we getting from Bhuvi? I mean we know what he can and cannot do. Why not give the youngsters a full chance and see if they can do better? Are we combining him with Ashwin to get the #7 allrounder?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Biggest disappointment is V yer! Dropped a catch, did not bowl and batting was scratchy

Harshal Patel did well. Hopefully KL Rahul is rested and Gaikwad gets a opportunity. We need to try KL as middle order. Our middle order is adventure
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Man, just a stupid team selection

I was expecting Gaikwad to come in for KL and Kishen for Pant, Avesh for Bhuvi and Y Chahal for Ashwin.

They ringed in only 2 changes. Not trying Gaikwad and Aveshmin dead rubber is just so shortsighted
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Any clue what Vikram Rathore is doing as batting coach when Rahul Dravid is there. Does he know something about batting technique that Dravid doesn't. Both made their debuts in the same series. He kept getting out edging to slips and ended his career while Dravid went on to become a legend. Just wonder.