T20I World Cup 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

T20I World Cup 2021

Post by PKBasu »

India will be hosting the T20I World Cup in October-November 2021. It is probably a bit premature to be discussing the India squad before the IPL, which will throw up a whole new bunch of talent, and sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'd say Kohli, Rohit, Rishabh Pant, Suryakumar Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishan Kishan, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Bumrah are the certainties for the squad. Possibly Sreyash Iyer too (although now injured and out of the IPL, which makes things a bit dicey for him). Shami and Natarajan are pretty close to certainties too. For everyone else, the IPL will be the key test to obtaining a place in the squad.
prasen9

Re: T20I World Cup 2021

Post by prasen9 »

I wouldn't say that Shami is a certainty. He has never been preferred in T20Is and just given 12 matches in his career. Or something like that. Given his heroics in the T20Is and ODIs and being the only fast bowler who can bat and is in form, Thakur is perhaps a near certainty. After scoring some runs in the ODIs, and given that the team management and selectors like him, perhaps Rahul is a near certainty. The squad will be of 22 members. The next incumbents will be DLC for backup bowlers slots assuming he can do well in the IPL. The IPL will choose the rest of the backups.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

It is sad we may not see Kul-Cha in this World Cup. I have a different point of view about their success and subsequent downfall. At their peak they had a certain MSD behind the stumps who would tell them what to bowl, where to pitch and what the batsman was trying. There has hardly been a player who could read the game and batsmen better than Dhoni. Once Dhoni was gone there was no one to guide them. Dhoni's departure is also the reason for India's poor conversion rate on DRS.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

You are probably right!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

BCCI offers nine venues. Venues Interesting that our traditional test centre Kanpur has fallen further and is out of contention. Instead they have Lucknow from that area. Looking at the largest metro areas the places to miss out are Kanpur, Pune, and Vizag. Pune got a bunch of matches for our ODI series, but they miss out. I wonder why. Vizag did not get anything and instead we have Dharamsala. Why do we want matches in Dharamsala? That place swings a lot. I hope we send other teams there and not go there to play ourselves. Send Pakistan and Sri Lanka there if we want against the SENA teams.

Now, if we look at centres that have had the largest number of T20 matches, we have Nagpur, Dehradun, and Chandigarh missing out in favor of Lucknow, Hyderabad, and Chepauk.

If we look at our ODI grounds, then PCA, Jaipur, and Cuttack miss out in favor of Lucknow, Hyderabad, and Dharamsala.

Among our test grounds, Kanpur, VCA and PCA miss out. In favor of Lucknow, Hyderabad, and Dharamsala.

However, we slice it it seems Kanpur, Pune, Nagpur, Chandigarh, Jaipur and Cuttack miss out and Lucknow, Hyderabad, Dharamsala get in. Interesting. Why does Dharamsala get so many T20 games?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 pmWhy does Dharamsala get so many T20 games?
Mr. Anurag Thakur ... :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Oh, that guy who is corrupt to the core and chose himself to play a FC game because he wanted to be a selector and that required one to be an ex-player. :-( No wonder.

So what is the politics of Lucknow over Kanpur?
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I don't think there's much politics there. It's a simple matter of Lucknow being a much better developed city than Kanpur. As a general rule, state capitals tend to see much more development than other cities in India. Kanpur being an industrial city, has a lot of pollution, dirt, overcrowding etc. It likely also doesn't have the hotels etc for an international tournament of this stature.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Anecdotally, Dehradun saw much more development after Uttarakhand was carved out of UP, and it became it's state capital. Otherwise it was also struggling like Kanpur; with power cuts, lack of development etc
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kanpur (like Kolkata) was one of the industrial hubs of British India -- and was the centre of oxygen- and shoe-manufacturing, among other things. After 1858, the British settled in and developed Cawnpore, which had been devastated during the First War of Indian Independence. Lucknow too had been devastated, but it was the old capital city of Awadh -- an important outpost of the Mughal empire that became one of its most important centres during the "reign" of Shah Alam, which this "emperor" spent mainly in exile from Delhi (either under British protection in Allahabad, or under the protection of the Scindias of Gwalior, who eventually restored him on his throne in Delhi, albeit with Mahadji Scindia as the Regent). The Brits didn't feel as much at home in Lucknow because of its deep Mughal (and Shia-Awadhi) culture. Kanpur, on the other hand, had really been a new Company town from the start, and it was built up further as an industrial centre after 1858 when the EICo was replaced by formal rule by the Crown.

UP, in some ways, was the beating heart of the British empire in India. The consequence of this was that the people were impoverished -- and their villages and livelihoods utterly decimated in 1857-58 as Havelock and Neill (as well as Nicholson) adopted a policy of genocide (against civilians) to win a war they would otherwise have lost (since the villagers provided logistical and food support to the nationalist army). But Kanpur became a new industrial city, and was a natural base for cricket, given its large British (and MNC) presence. After FERA (Foreign Exchange Regulation Act) in 1973 (which followed seven years after the big devaluation of the rupee in 1966), most of the Kanpur-based MNCs (like British-owned Indian Oxygen and Czech/Canadian-owned Bata) were forced to sell out cheaply as they wouldn't be able to remit profits easily. Within the next 10-15 years, Kanpur rapidly declined. Green Park nonetheless retained its historic importance as a well-loved cricket venue. But as the economic decimation of Kanpur proceeded, other emerging economic centres (Lucknow in UP, Ranchi and Jamshedpur in Jharkhand) have supplanted it.

Over the past 54 years, something similar has befallen Kolkata as well -- the former "Second City of the British empire", which was India's largest metropolis by far until the early-1960s. The MNC (particularly British) presence in Kolkata was so large until then that the Bengal Club didn't have its first Indian (non-prince) member until 1961!! When Bengal won the Ranji trophy in 1939, the team was nearly-half British. While Kolkata remained prosperous (with the British/Europeans of course cornering the cream), sport flourished in the city -- the best footballers were either Bengali or were attracted to Kolkata, similarly with the best tennis players (although Chennai produced the #1, Krish) and many of the finest non-Punjabi hockey players (Leslie Claudius, Keshav Dutt, Vece Paes, et al plus also the Sikh Gurbux Singh). In retrospect, the 1966 rupee devaluation proved devastating to Kolkata, followed by the 1967 election (in which Congress fell a couple of seats short of a majority, with PC Sen resigning as CM rather than attempt to win some Bangla Congress defectors over, resulting in the catastrophe of a United Front government run by communists, who encouraged Naxalism and rapidly destroyed Bengal's industry). Kolkata's sheer size has kept the importance of Eden Gardens alive, despite Kolkata's economic eclipse by not only New Delhi (& the NCR), but also Mumbai, Bengaluru (especially as India's intellectual hub), Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune (the old capital of the Maratha empire) and Ahmedabad (as epitomized by the great new stadium at Motera, which has supplanted the Eden as India's biggest).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The Kanpur metro area is still larger than the Lucknow metro area. Given that and the history of the ground, Kanpur should have been preferred. I think as with Dharamsala, there is some political strings being pulled by someone here too.
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

There's always something to learn on this forum. Thanks PKB
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Team will be selected today.

Could Natraj be selected? He will score no runs, but could be lethal in end overs.

I think KL. Rahul should play as WK batsman over Pant. Purely from numbers perspective, Pant has not shown himself to be a good T20 cricket. I would give Pant a break and even drop him or keep him as standby. Very unlikely though. Further his presence in locker room could be huge.

This 9 players probably make the team.

Rohit, KL, Kohli, SKY, Hardik, Pant, Jadeja, Bumrah, Kumar,

Who will take the remaining two position (Thakur, Chahar or chahal)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What’s Hardik done to enjoy an undisputed place? I don’t think Kumar will be chosen either.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news ... 78612.html

Ind squad for T20WC: Virat Kohli (Capt), Rohit Sharma (vc), KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk), Ishan Kishan (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Rahul Chahar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Varun Chakravarthy, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohd Shami.

So Shardul did not make it, but Shami did. Does not make sense,