India in England, summer of 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: India in England, summer of 2021

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Would love to see Mohsin Khan & Kuldeep Sen in England Tour as net bowler through development program which the team management has started

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Not my money and BCCI has lots. Send whoever is next in line and young and promising. As many as possible and give them a taste. I think BCCI should have a development officer who should try to get contracts in county, Big Bash, etc. for our young players. Experience playing in a country is the best medicine after talent.

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I would go with
Rohit (c), Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, Gill/Iyer, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Umesh, Shami, Bumrah.

Ashwin is under-estimated in English conditions. He and Jadeja can still do a lot of damage. 3 solid pacers (each a different type) are enough. Of course, I wish we had a left-arm pacer, but none are ready for the test side yet. It is a toss-up between Gill and Iyer for the #5 slot, with Gill slightly ahead because Iyer hasn't yet played a test outside India. But I suspect it is Iyer who will be picked.

I hope they will get to England by mid-June, and have at least one full first-class practice match against a good side.

Rajkumar Sharma

PKBasu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:16 pm I would go with
Rohit (c), Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, Gill/Iyer, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Umesh, Shami, Bumrah.

Ashwin is under-estimated in English conditions. He and Jadeja can still do a lot of damage. 3 solid pacers (each a different type) are enough. Of course, I wish we had a left-arm pacer, but none are ready for the test side yet. It is a toss-up between Gill and Iyer for the #5 slot, with Gill slightly ahead because Iyer hasn't yet played a test outside India. But I suspect it is Iyer who will be picked.

I hope they will get to England by mid-June, and have at least one full first-class practice match against a good side.
You can't put Pujara directly in the Playing XI as Vihari has performed in SL series and with Dravid as coach he will definately put Vihari at n.o 3. Shreyas will also play & Gill will sit out. Playing 2 spinners at Old Trafford will not be a great decision. India was 8/4 in first innings when they played in Old Trafford last time in a test match, and was folded for 152 & 161 with an innings defeat. So, Thakur in for Ashwin which seemed to be balanced XI.

R Sharma, KL Rahul, H Vihari, V Kohli, S Iyer, R Pant, R Jadeja, S Thakur, M Shami, J Bumrah, M Siraj

Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Leaving Ashwin out in England, not because of his bowling; rather, due to his likely batting success, would be a folly. He must play.

Rajkumar Sharma

Atithee wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm Leaving Ashwin out in England, not because of his bowling; rather, due to his likely batting success, would be a folly. He must play.
If we need Ashwin's batting in England, then we are seriously in trouble in upcomming tour.

Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Not really; this has become a common occurrence in modern day test cricket. Top order often folds cheaply for all countries, not just India due to the T20 mentality overwhelmingly taking it over.

SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Pujara is likely to play. He is the only one who has recently played is those conditions and with success. Did he play any match in Old Trafford. I don't think two spinners will play. BTW, we also need to see if Rohit and Dravid will also follow the 5 bowlers policy in overseas condition.

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The test is not at Old Trafford but at Edgbaston (Birmingham), where India have never won a test. We drew there in 1986 and lost by just 31 runs in 2018. But yes, it isn't a ground on which India has great memories.

Vihari made 58 in the first test (a decent knock), and 31 and 36 in the second test against Sri Lanka at home. I don't think that should guarantee him a place at #3. It would be ludicrous to pick him ahead of an in-form Pujara for this one-off test. Shreyas Iyer, as man of the match in the last test India played, is more difficult to leave out. I think he will play ahead of Gill, although I personally would prefer the latter (since Iyer is unproven outside India in tests; he has not yet played one).

Rajkumar Sharma

India may win test series but in shorter format its not looking good

Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Pujara's runs came in the second division of county cricket.

cricinfo described those pitches as slow and boring. The top wicket-takers are Potts, Roland-Jones, Conners, Paterson and Patterson-White. I don't know any of this lot except Roland-Jones who played a couple of tests. The top scorer was Shan Masood.

While I acknowledge Pujara playing county cricket, the level is too low to know what his form is.

Rajkumar Sharma

Pujara will not feature in Playing XI not because of scoring runs in second division of county, but Vihari deserves a long go and Dravid & Co. most likely to give him that number of matches.

Pujara in second division have played quality attack that included Steve Finn, Borthwick who played test for England, same goes with Mulder & Buren Hendriks both are SA internationals. Shaheen is one of the best bowler in the world at present time. Rushworth has 500+ FC wickets and Potts is among England Test probables.Marnus Labuschagne, who is no. 1 test batsman in ICC test ranking, has failed to score plenty while playing for Glamorgan against second division teams like Durham, Leics & Middlesex, against these attacks, so its not about division its about playing a quality attack

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Matthew Potts has made a sensational test debut in the Lord's test against New Zealand, taking 4/13 in the first innings to help bowl NZ out for 132. He is also the top wicket-taker so far in the second innings (2/50 while Anderson has 1/49 and Broad has 1/47). Potts played for Durham against Sussex at Hove (where the windy conditions, and breeze from the sea, usually help fast bowlers), and Pujara made 203 in that innings. Nobody else from either side got a hundred in the first innings, and the next highest scorer for Sussex was Md Rizwan (79). So I think the debate on whether Pujara was facing good bowling attacks should end. Pujara has found his form, and it is time to play him in the Edgbaston test. Vihari hasn't done anything in the home series against Sri Lanka to be picked ahead of an in-form Pujara.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I would play Pujara at #3 and let the three youngsters battle it out for #5.

Rajkumar Sharma

Pujara is in good form & Vihari deserves more go, it will be harsh to drop him after 2 test at n.o 3 with one 50+ and few 30s. Warm up game will decide in this case who deserve n.o 3 for the 5th test