India in England, summer of 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

SaniaFan

Re: India in England, summer of 2021

Post by SaniaFan »

If Pujara is not well then there is no way they'll keep Rahane out. They give some nonsense about experience and all.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

It does not really matter to me that much. But, I think the Pataudi Trophy is for the series in both India and England and whoever won it the last time keeps it if there is a draw.

Pujara and Rohit should both be fit. There injuries did not seem major. In fact, Pujara was using his feet to come to the ball and running reasonably well, at least at par with his standards, in the same innings itself. Of course, some things swell up the day after, etc. Let's see.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

That is not true. Trophy for series played in England is Pataudi trophy while the one played in India is Anthoney de Mello trophy.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ok. thanks.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:03 pm Stupid batsmen dominate the commentary box and chose Rohit as the MoM. :-(

Anyway, we need to bat first in Manchester if we win the toss. Unless it is really overcast and there is a green pitch.

My bowling choices would be Jadeja, Ashwin, Shardul, Shami, Bumrah. Chances are they will replace Ashwin with Umesh in reality. The other option would be to bring in Mayank for Rahane. We'll see. There is no way SAY will play in Old Trafford. If anything, it will be Vihari.

Manchester will favor fast bowlers. India will nit go with two spinners. If Shami is not fit, PK may make his debut

England could potentially drop Moeen Ali and go with Root as their only spinner thus bolstering their batting. MarkWood for overton, Butler for Ali (heard it on post match show)

Already Gavaskar making case for Rahane saying that it will be difficult conditions for new batsman.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Leach for Ali and Buttler for Bairstow is more likely. I also think they will replace Overton with Maqsood (Masood?).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Jim Laker took his 19 wickets in a match at Old Trafford, so it isn't true that spinners get no purchase from that wicket. Last year, Yasir Shah was Pakistan's main wicket-taker in both innings of the Old Trafford test (getting 4 wickets in each innings, 4/66 and 4/99), almost single-handedly taking Pakistan close to victory despite their second innings batting collapse. In the first innings, Shadab Khan got 2 wickets, so the spinners got more than half the wickets for Pakistan in both innings. I doubt anyone will tell Kohli this, or that it will convince him to play Ashwin at last -- having left him out even at the Oval.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Really surprised at how easy it was after the fall of England's 1st wicket. Bumrah was brilliant and Jadeja improved enormously from his first few overs of day 4. Excellent turn around after conceding nearly 100 run deficit after first innings.

Would be nice to see SKY or Mayank for Rahane & Ashwin for Siraj. Shardul should stay.

Weather for 5th test is reasonable (for Manchester!- only some rain expected). Just hope we don't a dreadful performance after such a good win.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, England will come back. They are a good team. We need to put our best foot forward. Jadeja's problem with his first few overs was that he could not land it on length. That would rectify anyway because we have seen him bowl line and length like a metronome before. And, it did. He kept it tight and landed the ball in the rough again and again even though they just kept padding up. I was thinking what is the point? Just time is being wasted. Turns out they wanted to rough up the ball so that it reverses. Well done. Sort of boring cricket, but effective.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Atithee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:38 pm Leach for Ali and Buttler for Bairstow is more likely. I also think they will replace Overton with Maqsood (Masood?).
Sorry, it is Maqsood, and he is injured. There is talk about Anderson needing to be rested. And, the newly appointed vice-captain, Moeen is likely to face the axe too. So, Wood for Overton seems one certainty. But, this is one of the weakest English team, bar Root, and there’s no better opportunity to claim a 3-1 victory. We just need one of our openers to click. I’ve a feeling that Shami for Siraj is the only change we will make. Logically, Ashwin for Rahane is on the cards, but may not happen.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:22 pm Well, England will come back. They are a good team. We need to put our best foot forward. Jadeja's problem with his first few overs was that he could not land it on length. That would rectify anyway because we have seen him bowl line and length like a metronome before. And, it did. He kept it tight and landed the ball in the rough again and again even though they just kept padding up. I was thinking what is the point? Just time is being wasted. Turns out they wanted to rough up the ball so that it reverses. Well done. Sort of boring cricket, but effective.
There was an article from WV Raman saying Jadeja will do everything that Kohli ask him to do, but Ashwin will not. I think he mean exactly this. Ashwin would have never bowled like this. For all of my bias for Ashwin, i will have to say that Jadeja did fill his role admirably. He saw thru the second new ball, which was a critical period. I doubt Pant would have survived playing Robinson with second new ball bowling at his fiery best. Ashwin may have scored exactly the runs Jadeja scored, but very likely that was from 25-30 balls thus potentially exposing the tail to newer ball.

I had predicted that both Umesh and Thakur would play the fourth test match and there is no way they get dropped for the 5th match. They played a critical role in this match.

With some rain in the offing, India will not play two spinners unless thry decide to rest Jadeja for Ashwin.
I am worried about Bumrah fitness. Would he last the five match series. He has been absolutely phenomenal and would be handful on manchester pitch.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:32 pmSo, Wood for Overton seems one certainty.
Is this a certainty? If they are going for Leach instead of Moeen, that is weakening their already weak bowling. Wood is actually overrated, but he will be picked based on his overrating. Given Root did not turn to Overton that much seems to give away that they will want to weaken the batting a bit and get Wood to strengthen the bowling a bit. If they continue with Moeen, then they absolutely need Wood. Anderson, Robinson, Woakes, Wood, and Leach will be five full-time bowlers and there may not be that many overs. Maybe better to keep Overton in this case, imho.

Shami for Siraj it should be. Ashwin for Rahane is stupid. If Rahane is replaced, he will be replaced by a batsman. Most possibly Vihari because he can bowl a bit 5-10 overs. The thinktank still think Vihari is a better bat than Ashwin.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Moeen has performed better than Leach at this ground.

Overton may be carrying an injury, so very likely he gets replaced by Wood. I think Wood was at his fiery best before he injured his shoulder in second test.

I am wondering if the pitch favors fast bowlers, they bolster their batting by bringing in Sam curran for Anderson (if there are concerns about load mgmt) , Butler for Moeen leaving Root as their 5th bowler?
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Nothing better than listening to the re-run of yesterdays play on TMS while working :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is supposedly reverse swing to be had at the Old Trafford. At the ground in the last five years, Moeen and Yasir have done well. While Bess, Leach, and Maharaj have done poorly. Ashwin will perhaps be in the done well side. However, pace bowlers have outperformed spinners significantly overall with the top averages belonging to Hazlewood, Cummins, Broad and Woakes. All sample sizes.

The question of Ashwin vs Shami is who we think will be more menacing in those conditions and whether Ashwin's added batting nous gives him the plus. It seems like Shami will be a better bowler in those conditions but weakens the batting. Going by what Kohli has shown, he will possibly choose Shami.