India in England, summer of 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in England, summer of 2021

Post by prasen9 »

Could be a factor too. But, they say that Rohit just has a niggle. Test cricket, meaning standing in the slips and running between the wickets needs slightly lower fitness, albeit for a longer period than T20 cricket where you need to be fitter and a run here and a run there mean a lot. Also, there is no hiding in the slips for most of it. So, one does not know.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am Might not be a forfeit. Could have won 2-1.
The suggestion that it was a forfeit was utterly ludicrous. The entire Indian coaching staff (including both physios) was in quarantine. A professional side cannot be expected to take the field without any coaches and physios. Besides, one physio had just been diagnosed with Covid, so several of the players (his close contacts) were probably going to be forced into isolation. It would be absurd to play a test match in those circumstances. I have been astonished with the absurdly one-sided commentary, suggesting that a forfeit was somehow the right way to characterize it. BCCI did a pretty poor PR job.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Exactly. Instead of shifting arguments, BCCI should have clearly come out and said that we cannot play a game without the support staff. The support staff is essential in the modern game and especially given the COVID quarantine, etc. we cannot manage to put up a quality product on the field. That is why we will withdraw.

Oh, and show-cause and suspend Shastri for 3 months. Even if it is a token suspension.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Seems like Pujara and Rahane complained. So ironic. Kohli pulls a Kumble and Pujara and Rahane pull a Kohli. Kohli was absolutely right. Pujara and Rahane's lack of intent hurt us. And, this criticism paid off well when Pujara batted in some innings especially at the Oval with intent, if I recall correctly. I think we should drop both of them and move onto the next gen. When Gill comes back, we should at least drop one of them and move Rohit to the MO to get some stability there. When you win is the time to take stock and make changes to become invincible.

What I found ironic was that when Kumble was a hard taskmaster, Kohli said that senior players know what to do and do not need to be told, etc. Now, he had to tell Pujara to bat faster. So, it is not always true.

As they say, what goes around, comes around.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

So the prior report about Ashwin questioning Kohl’s intent is probably false narrative. Unless Kohli questioned Ashwin performance as well. There was little reason for Ashwin to do it after WTc finals ( may be after the four test series)

I have ambivalence about Kohli’s captaincy. I think he does lot of stuff very well. His tactical nous may be slightly lacking, he benefited a lot from listening to coaching staff. U have to still give him kudos for implementing the game plan. I like the fact that he gave test cricket lot of importance. I am worried that the intensity with which he plays is actually not good for himself. Hope he can channel that intensity and keep calm. For all our not winning the big ones, our level of performance the past few years has been the best.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Two separate squad to be picked, one for SA T20I series at home, Ireland tour and other for England tour https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/122 ... two-squads
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:21 pm I have ambivalence about Kohli’s captaincy.
Every human being is flawed. He has his plusses along with his minusses. I think the plusses are more in my book. But, that is a very subjective statement and reasonable people may differ.
I am worried that the intensity with which he plays is actually not good for himself. Hope he can channel that intensity and keep calm. For all our not winning the big ones, our level of performance the past few years has been the best.
I love his intensity. I like people who do things with intensity and passion. Yes, they are more likely to burn out sooner rather than later. But, if that is the case so be it. I would rather have him play a shorter career with full verve than a longer one where he becomes milquetoast for the last part of his career. The problem is people like them, when they try to tone things down, overthink things and do not do anything right. Right now, he needs a nice, good break, say of three months. I am sure then he will come back focused and hungry.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

He got married and has a kid. Enough said. :devil:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sunil Gavaskar's kid was born in February 1976. Sunny went on to much greater heights thereafter...
Rajkumar Sharma

India Squad for 5th test

Rohit Sharma (Capt), KL Rahul (VC), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Hanuma Vihari, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rishabh Pant (wk), KS Bharat (wk), R Jadeja, R Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Mohd Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Prasidh Krishna
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Interesting. So,

Rohit, Rahul, Pujara/Gill, Kohli, Iyer/Vihari, Pant, Jadeja, Thakur, Bumrah, Shami, Siraj/Umesh

would be my choice. Of these, I am thinking of going with Pujara and Iyer. But, I'll be fine with Vihari. And, if Pujara's runs have been scored against weak oppositions and he does not have form in the games between now and then, then Gill too. Siraj slightly ahead of Umesh in my books. Jadeja slightly ahead of Ashwin.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I would take Umesh over Siraj just for his batting! Do not trust Gill in English conditions. So definitely Pujara over GIll!
Rajkumar Sharma

Gill is a solid backfoot player and will get more success in SENA countries then at home and his test stats also proves it.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I would have Umesh ahead of Siraj, and Ashwin ahead of Jadeja. Also Jadeja is injured, while Ashwin is in great form, both with batting and bowling. Also I agree that Gill is a better player abroad than at home, but Pujara is in good form, so I will probably pick him.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Gill had one good series in AustrAlia where it was more a bouncy pitch! English conditions are way different! IIRC Gill struggled even in India against English pacers

I would probably pick Ashwin ahead of Jadeja especially considering their left dominant lineup! I think Ashwin is technically a better batsman t than Jadeja, but Jadeja has more
Patience! Ashwin does not put premium on his wicket and tends to throw it away! I would choose Jadeja in AustrAlia and SA and Ashwin in NZ and England