England in India, February-March 2021

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: England in India, February-March 2021

Post by prasen9 »

It was awful. But, the metric should not be runs. They clearly had some shots played but Pant refused the singles. They were told to stay at the wicket because Pant was batting imperially. The metric should be the number of balls they negotiated.

Ashwin stayed 19 balls, Axar 15, Kuldeep 15, Ishant and Siraj 2 each.

Now, Ashwin was not told to stay at the wicket and scored freely. So, he scored 13 and that should count.

People are piling on Kuldeep. But, why is Axar getting a free pass? He is replacing Washi and should be able to bat. He scored 5. And never looked comfortable. I know he is a test rookie. But he is 26, middle-aged and has been with the ODI team and T20I team for a few years now, I think. And, this is home against a popgun spin attack. He should be able to bat a bit better than this in the first innings of a match.

Ishant and Siraj were downright horrible both trying to hit when the instructions were to defend. Kuldeep at least tried and succeeded to some extent. Kuldeep also suffered because of a lack of experience. He got a bouncer on his body that hit him. On the helmet I think. Then, he automatically went to the back-foot a tad expecting another bouncer and was in no place to play the good length ball outside off. This is a mental failure and a coaching failure to think while batting. But Ishant and Siraj were downright stupid.

In contrast, Leach played 34 balls and Moeen 30 for 5 and 6 runs each. But, gave Foakes time to score. Every ball that our tail played would have provided us more dividend because Pant was hitting imperiously while Foakes was playing percentage cricket. Stone and Broad faced 4 and 2 balls each and failed. So, maybe the difference was between our spinners vs theirs wrt the spinners' batting.

Kohli did not trust Kuldeep but Kuldeep was also innocuous and did not beat the batsman that much or spin the ball that much. I was very excited to see him bowl after his magic in Sydney about two years ago, his last test. But, it seems he has lost form. And certainly confidence. Maybe we should let him go back to the domestics and get his form back. Some good coaching at the NCA would be in order.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It is time to look forward for the next phase of this series.

For the last two tests, I would like the team to add Shami. He is going to be "near" fit and given the bubble rules, he should be in the team even if he is not chosen in the first 11 in Ahmedabad.

For the T20Is, I think Rohit, Kohli, Hardik, Rahul are the sure bets. I would like to give Samson one last chance or at least 3 more matches this time in India to see what he can do. We lack hard hitters and he is one. I would not mind trying someone like Suryakant Yadav and Ishan Kishan. Maybe Dhawan continues and gets one last chance because we need some left-handed bats. I am a bit tired of Manish (slow) and Iyer (not enough runs).

So: Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Rahul, Hardik, Samson
Backups: Suryakant, Kishan

F' Bowlers: Nata, Saini, DCha, Bumrah
Spinners: Kuldeep, Chahal, RCha, Washi

I am a bit skeptical of both Chahal and RCha. Maybe we try Rahul Tewatia instead of one of them because Rahul can bat and can be a good #5-7 types?

Maybe backup players should be a medium pacer allrounder. Don't like anyone there. Maybe Shankar? Or maybe if Hardik is down, we go with Washi as the allrounder and get three pacers.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I am not sure Sundar can be considered a all rounder for T20 mode! He seems more like a guy who can take singles and score big shots when field is in! His strike rate is just 125 and average also not great ! Strike rate too low for the position he comes in! May be if he bats up the order he may be okay!

Rohit LBW decision was pathetic! Aussie umpiring was just so much better! I am really surprised why we couldn’t go with neutral umpires
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, I know. Sundar cannot be considered as an all-rounder in T20Is. Not a wicket-taker either. But, the team likes his ability to be an opening bowler and keep the runs down, I suppose. I would consider Tewatia then. More as a batting allrounder. I want to see Suryakant and Ishan rewarded for their IPL and to build depth. I'd even rest Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli and get them back for the ODIs. Let Rahul lead. I would add Pant, Nitish Rana, and maybe Iyer in their place.
Last edited by prasen9 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

After this test, there will be 2 tests and 5 T20Is at the Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad. Even with all the refurbishment (which has apparently made it the biggest cricket ground in the world -- largest stadium in terms of crowd capacity), it is crazy that so many matches will be played there. Preparing 7 separate pitches for matches in quick succession will stretch any groundsman's capabilities, leave alone those of an essentially new cricket ground. (I remember Gavaskar's magnificent 90 there in 1983-84 on a crumbling pitch, and the fact that he reached 10,000 runs there as well; but this is a new ground!).
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

There’s a whole lotta “padding” going on. It looks silly and I absolutely detest it. Don’t see non-Indians do much of this. It’s a Pujara special and that it is allowed is just dumb. Why Rohit joined the lunacy, I don’t know. Just show your mettle using the bat, which is the objective of the game.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India could also change the squad (of 18) for the next two tests. I presume the only one whose place is in danger is poor Kuldeep Yadav. Perhaps also Wriddhiman, given Pant's terrific form.

If Shami and/or Umesh is available, they would come into the squad. For the day/night test, more pacers may be needed. I wonder how much bowling workload Hardik Pandya is taking on in the nets.

Apart from the official squad, there are 10 others who are on standby and net-bowlers. So in effect we have a squad of 28. News of Jadeja, Shami, Umesh remains scarce.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Atithee wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm There’s a whole lotta “padding” going on. It looks silly and I absolutely detest it. Don’t see non-Indians do much of this. It’s a Pujara special and that it is allowed is just dumb. Why Rohit joined the lunacy, I don’t know. Just show your mettle using the bat, which is the objective of the game.
I hate it as well. As far as I know, the technique was invented by Tony Greig and Roger Tolchard to blunt the Indian spinners during the Calcutta test of 1976-77, and it worked very well for them. Now, TV referrals make it more dangerous to use the technique, but apparently the key is to ensure that the ball hits you outside the line of stumps. If there is sharper-than-expected turn of course, the batsman is toast!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

None of the pacers make a difference. You can play anyone of them. They will all give you about the same return. Even Bumrah doesn’t seem to be as lethal lately.

WTC is on line. We should stick with spinning tracks and win at any cost. I’d love to see the British press squirm more. In fact, more the better.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Small sample size but Umesh has a fantastic record in the pink ball tests.

Ideally, he is fit for the 3rd test and India can go with 3 quicks + Ashwin.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:16 pm
I hate it as well. As far as I know, the technique was invented by Tony Greig and Roger Tolchard to blunt the Indian spinners during the Calcutta test of 1976-77, and it worked very well for them. Now, TV referrals make it more dangerous to use the technique, but apparently the key is to ensure that the ball hits you outside the line of stumps. If there is sharper-than-expected turn of course, the batsman is toast!
I think it’s different rule for leg side and off side. The key is not being given out if you’re offering a shot though, right? That’s what makes it dangerous. There was no way Rohit was offering a shot and Root was absolutely justified in his head shake.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Pujara plays with his pad a lot! He keeps his bat stuck behind the pad all the time!
Was surprised to see Rohit also fall to this habit! Next 20 overs are extremely critical! This pitch is more difficult with the newer ball

I think Washington is Kohli’s pick! He will probably make the T20 11! Considering the number of left handlers, very likely that he plays over Axar in T20!if he works on his bowling , he could potentially solidify his team in all format of the game!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm There’s a whole lotta “padding” going on. It looks silly and I absolutely detest it. Don’t see non-Indians do much of this. It’s a Pujara special and that it is allowed is just dumb. Why Rohit joined the lunacy, I don’t know. Just show your mettle using the bat, which is the objective of the game.
Agree. I do not like it but I do not detest it that much. You want to take the risk, go ahead. But the umpires should not reward that by saying that he was playing a shot when he was faking. It can be sound strategy and force the bowler to bowl on the stumps. So, in that sense I like it. Bowler, just show your mettle with the ball and try to hit the stumps. At the very basic level that is also the objective of the game. Root and Moeen started bowling wide of the off stump and a lot of folks have tried to bowl wide and not give Pant and several other bowlers have tried it with Kohli to deny him the chance to hit. I hate negative bowling. Padding forces the bowler to come in if they are not just happy killing time. Kohli unfortunately loses his patience and gives them the wickets. In that sense, Pujara is smart. But, I also want to give the bowler the wicket if you have padded intentionally and the ball was actually going to hit the wicket. So, you want to make the bowler bowl at you, pad judiciously. Not at balls going to the stumps. At least that is my thinking.

Washi does not take wickets. Defensive bowling will not help much in T20Is. Maybe as a fifth bowler who can bat is fine. But, if he cannot bat either, then we should look elsewhere.

Umesh is still not fit. Shami may be getting fit and is bowling at the NCA. He should be included in the team along with Bhuvi. The latter will add some spine to our batting.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Why have we come to the conclusion that Sundar doesn't take wickets? Ok, he is no Ashwin or Jadeja yet but he did take wickets in Australia and had a drop and a missed decision (no DRS left) in the first test first innings.

Not advocating he should play in T20Is but he definitely has value in test matches, especially when Ashwin and/or Jadeja are not playing.

India's tail needs Ashwin to come in at 8 for it to wag.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I was talking about T20Is. And "does not take wickets" is a la Bhuvi, i.e., they take wickets but are not strike bowlers. If Kuldeep does not get his form back in I2, maybe on another spinning pitch, we should go in with Washi as the 3rd spinner.

Ashwin has lost his batting skills a touch. Except for the famous inning in Sydney, he has not done well with the bat. He is a #8 now. The problem is that Jadeja is injured and Axar was not that great in I1. Hoping that was just a one inning fluke.