India in Australia, 2020-21

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: India in Australia, 2020-21

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm Actually, for the draw the contribution of Vihari was greater than Pant's. Pujara 205 balls, Vihari 161* balls, Ashwin 128* balls, Pant 118 balls. That Pujara could eat up balls was given. Kudos to Pant for making us believe and for taking the battle to the opposition. But, the true heroes were also Vihari and Ashwin, both injured. Most important, Vihari and Ashwin were unbeaten.
I think biggest contribution from Pant was the belief that he instilled that India could survive this match! I presume Saha or Mayank makes the team for Jadeja! Hope Ashwin is fit!

And if Vihari can’t go, it is likely that both of them make the team, unless we bring in Shardul as Prasen suggest! I may seriously consider going with kuldip if Ashwin can’t prove his fitness! We want 100% fit Ashwin, even if there is slight doubt, bring in Kuldeep! I am pretty sure We may not lose a whole lot from bowling! That may make our tail practically non-existent

By the way, did it feel like Pant was wanting to reach his century before new ball was bought in? I think sending Pant at 5 was long overdue! May have made. A big difference in first innings! Could have changed the complexion of the game! India has to be flexible in their batting lineup, cannot have Vihari and Pujara at crease together!

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

jaydeep wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:10 pm Jhye Richardson has started pro-cricket in December 2020 after his 2nd shoulder surgery in May ... Maybe Pattinson will be fit as nowhere get information about the severity of his injury.
Yes, but he is scorching for the scorchers or something like that. It would be a leap of faith like we did with Rohit and they did with Warner.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Looks like Vihari has hamstring tear! ruled out for Gana! It is indictated that Shardul will play for Jadeja!

Need to see who comes in for Vihari! Mayank, Shaw or Saha! It will be very tall order for India to retain the trophy

arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Kumar wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm
prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm Actually, for the draw the contribution of Vihari was greater than Pant's. Pujara 205 balls, Vihari 161* balls, Ashwin 128* balls, Pant 118 balls. That Pujara could eat up balls was given. Kudos to Pant for making us believe and for taking the battle to the opposition. But, the true heroes were also Vihari and Ashwin, both injured. Most important, Vihari and Ashwin were unbeaten.
I think biggest contribution from Pant was the belief that he instilled that India could survive this match!
Agree with this assessment. He made his runs at a time when the chances of India surviving were much lower. He assault also added to the confidence of the rest that the Aussie attack wasn't as fearsome as they might have otherwise thought and confident players generally execute better.

If Jadeja had been fit, I think we would have continued to attack and go for the win. Perversely, it would have also increased the chances of a loss as taking more risks may have exposed our tail which often folds very quickly.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Which article was that. There are some shoddy articles where people are writing whatever. It seems all copied from one article. Vihari's results are not yet out. It is 4am in Sydney. I suppose in 4-5 hours things will come out if it is released.

Yes, I have said that Pant made us believe. But, I would rate Pujara's, Vihari's and Ashwin's efforts better. Pant made us believe but could not pull it through. Vihari and Ashwin pulled it through by not getting out and blunted out a whole lot of balls more. Pant showed you can score. But, we needed someone to eat up balls and refuse to get out. Vihari and Ashwin did not take Pant's method but the whole team was determined not to go down without a fight. Well done Rahane.
Last edited by prasen9 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:23 pm Which article was that. There are some shoddy articles where people are writing whatever. It seems all copied from one article. Vihari's results are not yet out. It is 4am in Sydney. I suppose in 4-5 hours things will come out if it is released.
Says reported! Sorry to jump the gun

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cri ... ort/705843

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, this is shoddy journalism. I think Outlook or some other paper said this and then they started copying and pasting. If you read all these articles, they say the following. Quoting from the article you quoted.
According to a PTI report, it has been learned that Vihari was taken for multiple scans post his batting heroics against the mighty Aussies in the SCG Test. Though reports are expected to arrive latest by evening or on Tuesday in Sydney, the Indian all-rounder is likely to be unavailable for selection. The report added that Vihari is unlikely to feature in the Indian squad for the England series.

"The extent of Vihari's tear can only be ascertained after the scan reports come through. But even if it's a grade 1 tear, he is out for at least four weeks and then will need some rehabilitation time. So it's not only Brisbane Test but also, he won't be a part of England Tests at home," a BCCI source told PTI on Monday.
Translation: Someone is making shit up. Vihari was taken for scans and most possibly he will be out. But, we knew that from his batting. We will know for sure on Tuesday morning Sydney time or whenever more results come out.

Same article someone just talks about Thakur being the most likely replacement. Now papers are taking it and running. Nobody from the team management announced that. This sort of shoddy journalism has been happening in this series. They said Head was out but he was not. Then, they said Natarajan would be selected for this test. Someone said Thakur. Then, it came out that all of these were just conjectures. I got taken by these initially but now I am ignoring it.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think the unavailable is shaping up well:

KL Rahul, Kohli, Jadeja, Ishant, Shami, Umesh.

I think we need some batsmen for these folks. Maybe if we add the dropped guys, we get close.

Mayank, Prithvi, Rahul, Kohli, Jadeja, Ishant, Shami, Umesh.

Add Kuldeep for good measure and Saha and we get an XI (or close to it). :-). I think Vihari and Ashwin will soon join them and then we will have to drop Kuldeep out because he was not formally played and dropped.

What is the over/under that we will see Shastri and Arun in the XI in Brisbane?

BTW, how does Vihari know Tamil? Ashwin was saying something to him in Tamil it seemed. I thought Vihari was Telugu. Has he played in Chennai for some time?

It was about somebody's ball not coming in but going straight. Was that about Lyon's bowling?
Last edited by prasen9 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:35 pm
Kumar wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm This has been one of the very ordinary Aussie attack! The way starc laughs after bowling a bouncer to tail ender is just pathetic! I think the biggest mistake was sending in Vihari after Rahane’s dismissal!
Are you saying it due to the their attitude as you said about Starc. Otherwise, this Aussie attack is one of the better attacks in the world, if not the best. In ICC test rankings, Pat Cummins is current # 1 bowler and Starc and Hazelwood are both in top 8 too. Lyon is #3 spinner after Ashwin and Jadeja. It is their batting which appears weak with current form of Warner.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... c1bdc2b268

Late in the day five he allowed his attack to get carried away with its short ball assault. Going into the final three and a half overs of the days, Australia’s seamers had only bowled 13 deliveries that would have gone on to hit the stumps.
This has been my observation as well for the past two tests!

Atithee

Post by Atithee »

This team can do better and will do so if Kohli plays only as a player, not the captain. His covert and overt conduct limits the potential of the team in my opinion.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I actually like both Kohli and Rahane as captains. But, if Rahane is getting more out of people, and Kohli is not, then Rahane it should be.

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

After this match, what are the most memorable India test matches that jumps to your mind! The match that still stays in your memory after so many years! For me, not in particular order!

Kolkata test

Tied test Chennai

India Pakistan Chennai test when India lost after coming so close

Yesterday test Sydney ( recency bias)?

Headings test 2002 when we refused bad light offer to show the most scintillating batting performance at end of day

These list primarily includes games that I watched! Still remember being glued to the same seat on 4th day of Kolkata test moving only during lunch/drinks break

Atithee

Post by Atithee »

India loss to WI when chasing 100 odd around 1996.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am biased but the Kolkata test is one that came to my mind. But, also the several close shaves we have had at Sydney. Thank god for DRS this time. Even though the home umpires gave an advantage for the home team with respect to umpire's call, this time we managed.

2007 Lords Test when Dhoni and Sreesanth hung in there and we drew with 9 wickets down.

'84 Lahore, we scored 371/6 batted over 156 overs after scoring 156 in the first innings in response to Pakistan's 428.

In '92/'93, Johannesburg, we lasted 82 overs scoring 140-something with four down. Shastri, Jadeja, Manjrekar, and Amre were just blocking (mostly).

2001 RSA when we batted 96.2 overs for 206/3 on the backs of Dasgupta and Dravid.

'79 Oval, Gavaskar's 221 match. Chasing 438, we scored 429/8 in 150.5 overs from 410/4 with Vishwanath at the crease :-( I do not know how we did not win that one. Choked.

Off-topic to this post: Forgot Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, who would certainly have been in the team in some manner for my injured/dropped XI. Now, we do not need Kuldeep since he was not strictly speaking dropped in this series. :-). Add Hardik to it because he cannot bowl in any meaningful manner.

rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Don't forget Gavaskar's last test at Bangalore that we lost to Pakistan by 16 runs on a spinners paradise. Gavaskar scored 96 the next highest was.26.
Another test whose highlights are easily available is India's win at Oval in 1971 and Chandra's incredible spell.
Indiia's win at Melbourne in 1981 with an injured Kapil taking 5 wickets, Vishwanath's century and Gavaskar's walkout will rank very high.
Also there was a test in the 1977-78 series against Australia where India lost after scoring 445 in the 4th innings chasing 493. Nobody got a hundred.
Of course Adelaide 2003 that was like a mirror image of Calcutta 2001 with Dravid and Laxman reversing roles and Agarkar bowling the greatest spell of his life.
Another test I would rate highly would be the Hirwani test and Kapil's hundred that set up the victory.