India in Australia, 2020-21

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: India in Australia, 2020-21

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:22 am 300-350 is what we should try to get them out for. The problem is that we do not have that much of an attacking bowler.

Funny to see Siraj putting an arm around Natarajan and give him tips a la Bumrah. :-) Imho Natarajan has looked pretty good and Siraj has not been that menacing.

Also, this is why I had argued for the fifth bowler. And, if you have to have a fifth bowler, that person needed to not be a bunny with the bat. I love watching a leggie bowl as much as I love watching a good wicket-keeper. But, I cannot justify including Kuldeep or Saha because they are not as good with the bat. Hopefully Sundar and Thakur will fight with the bat. And Saini too. Hope he is fit and can bat at least.
Has any of them looked really threatening? This is basically not even an A team bowling attack! Mea culpa! I still think Kuldeep would have been more effective, !

With rain predicted for Saturday afternoon and Monday, Indian batsman will handle challenging conditions in both innings! This is a dreadful toss to loose!
I think we should consider a new toss rule! Basically in bilateral series , toss should be alternated ! May be we can have a toss to decide who gets to go first!
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Given that the host team sets the pitch, the visiting team should win the toss automatically.

None of them were that threatening. But, nor was Kuldeep in the tour game he played (16 overs, 45 runs, no wickets). He was pedestrian and did not take any wickets if I recall correctly. Kuldeep in full form is certainly a better bowler than any of the four pacers we have. But, the current Kuldeep, I do not know.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Starting post lunch lot of rain chances! Australian will look to score 150 runs and put lot of pressure on india
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hindsight is always 20-20. Looking at the bowling, I think we should have played Kuldeep instead of Thakur. The batting would be weakened a tad but I think the bowling would be improved with some bite in it. Hope Thakur makes me eat my words with a hat-trick. Of course, the real 20-20 hindsight change would be to have Kuldeep instead of Saini! But, predicting injuries is a hard science.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I preferred Kuldeep to Natu or sundar before the start of match! Did not expect Saini to fold! I may have gone with both Saint and Thakur as well,if abumrah was fit
We are probably grasping at straws! Losing Bumrah on this pitch was probably a huge blow!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thakur has been swinging the ball but his control is awful. Anyway, I hope he does well. We need to bat like anything here.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Thakur looks the only way among our pacers likely to get wickets because of his bowling and not because of the batsmen's mistakes.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Seems like Nata and Siraj got worked out. Nata got two wickets when the ball rose a bit more than expected. Sundar bowling well now. Fight. Need to get them under 350.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Nata is just not a Test bowler; no bite/swing/pace
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nobody is a test bowler yet. Saini looks the most promising because of his pace. Thakur can swing but not as fast and no control. Siraj a bit of everything but not consistent. Nata has the smarts and line and length and was a bit skiddy in one spell yesterday. Washi does not spin the ball much and not much variety but disciplined. Let us see who can get the tail cleaned up.

So at the end Nata, Thakur, and Washi did fine. Siraj has been worked out it seems. Or it may just be one inning fluke.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Their last 2 wickets added 54,and not only we have a huge problem with cleaning up the tail, the bigger issue is no contribution by them with the bat.Our batting tail average is even worse than Bangladesh.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Rajiv wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 am Their last 2 wickets added 54,and not only we have a huge problem with cleaning up the tail, the bigger issue is no contribution by them with the bat.Our batting tail average is even worse than Bangladesh.
Be careful. Someone will soon list the stats to prove otherwise. :p
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Rohit out to a reckless shot as if he was playing an ODI.
At 34 hasn't still not learned to play Test Cricket, he is just not fit for it, just continue working on White Ball greatness
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, that would have been the case if Mayank and Prithvi showed some capability. He may be flawed but he seems better than the alternative. We need to develop some young openers.

Yes, someone will find the stats when they have time about the tail myth. :-) Actually, it may be dependent upon how you define tail though. Although this tail with Nata at the end, who averages 2 or something in FC cricket is something special.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rohit did make 44 before that silly shot. And he made a half-century in the previous innings. So he is doing the job as opening batsman. Of course, ideally he would push on to make a really big score, but he has done better than the alternatives as test opening batsman.