India in Australia, 2020-21

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: India in Australia, 2020-21

Post by Atithee »

Natarajan and Sundar make their debuts.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Man, that was the toss we needed to win!

I am not sure sundar was the right choice! Would have preferred kuldeep and Saha! Anyway, Congratulations to both Natu and Sundar!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’m actually happy we are bowling at Gabba first.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know. Seems like a batting pitch now. I would have batted. Good bowling in the first 5-10 overs. Decent overall given that the bowling lineup is quite raw. Saini and Siraj looked decent to good. Thakur got the wicket pretty early and then was a bit wide and spraying it a bit. Natarajan kept it tight. I would like to see him bowl some bouncers at Smith and Labu and try a leg attack a la Wagner. Of course, hard to expect him to pull it off in his first test but give it a shot. And, give it say one spell. 4-5 overs at max. And, mix it up. One body line bouncer or two per over and the rest on the off stump or outside. Or even just on leg if you have to stack one side and cannot change fields every ball in order not to telegraph what you will be bowling. Sundar kept it tight. That is his role. The pacers have to do it. Especially Saini and Siraj. Assisted by Thakur. Let us see. Good to see Bumrah coaching Siraj at the boundary line.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Dropping catches continue. Now Rahane drops Labuscagne. To make things worse Saini breaks down. What is it with the fitness of our bowlers and the catching ability of our fielders?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Did not watch the replay, but saw the comment it was sitter! Come on captain!How can u!
Had this ever happened in the annals of a test series that all four frontline bowlers from the first match are injured and out!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, that was a very simple catch that skipper Rahane dropped at gully. It was to his left, but straight to hand -- and shouldn't have been put down.

Very strange decision to pick Natarajan ahead of Kuldeep. Selection for test cricket is now being made on the basis of IPL form. Natarajan has played just 20 first-class matches, for 64 wickets. Sundar has 30 first-class wickets, but he does have that one brilliant Duleep Trophy final performance.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Now Pujara drops Labuschagne off Natarajan. That was a tough chance, made tougher by Pant also going for it.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Natarajan over Kuldeep was because of the pitch and Gabba's record as being favorable to pacers over spinners on average. Of course, a certain Shane Warne did very well in the Wollongabba. But, Kuldeep is not inspiring confidence these days. In the A-team match, he took no wickets. Wrist spinners go for more than offies. And, Kuldeep would not be a containing option that perhaps Natarajan can be --- at least that is the hope. Natarajan is a hope and pray pick because of Kuldeep's form in the practice match (and beyond). Also, if you look at Kuldeep's domestic record, it is somewhat pedestrian. He averages over 30. He needs to get his form and mojo back.

Thakur has been crap as Sin Hombre had predicted. He tries to do too much. Or he does not have the ability to keep the ball at the right line and length ball after ball. Still given the injury to Saini, we need to bowl him. I would open after tea with him or Siraj and maybe continue with Washi on the other end.

Our physios should be investigated to find out what they have done to keep the bowlers fit. The Aussies have managed things very well. We lost Vihari, Umesh, Saini, and Bumrah to stress/fitness related injuries. Too many for a four match series.

We have introduced a lot of people to test cricket. Nadeem, Washi, and Natarajan with one test, Shardul and Saini with two, Siraj with three, Prithvi with five and Kuldeep with six. That's eight. Partly because of this COVID series. We have never had this many "junior"s with test caps in quite some time.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Saini injured, Shardul leaking runs and Labu dropped twice. Match over.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

213/5 , if we get them out under 300 , around 275 , than get a 125/150 run lead we are in for a big reversal.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

300-350 is what we should try to get them out for. The problem is that we do not have that much of an attacking bowler.

Funny to see Siraj putting an arm around Natarajan and give him tips a la Bumrah. :-) Imho Natarajan has looked pretty good and Siraj has not been that menacing.

Also, this is why I had argued for the fifth bowler. And, if you have to have a fifth bowler, that person needed to not be a bunny with the bat. I love watching a leggie bowl as much as I love watching a good wicket-keeper. But, I cannot justify including Kuldeep or Saha because they are not as good with the bat. Hopefully Sundar and Thakur will fight with the bat. And Saini too. Hope he is fit and can bat at least.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We let Australia off the hook at the end of the day. 274/5 is a towering score. Shardul dropping a simple return catch didn't help. Our catching has been truly woeful.

I must admit Natarajan exceeded my expectations. Saini's injury is a disgrace. What the heck are the physios doing?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 am We let Australia off the hook at the end of the day. 274/5 is a towering score. Shardul dropping a simple return catch didn't help. Our catching has been truly woeful.

I must admit Natarajan exceeded my expectations. Saini's injury is a disgrace. What the heck are the physios doing?
If we had dismissed Green before new ball, we would have had shot at the bowlers with new ball! We can expect them to score 400+ easily! Also the weather is against India! Thunderstorms expected later in the afternoon! If the weather turns breezy, Indian batting could be bundled up very quickly

Physio need to go!

Umesh,Vihari, Jasprit, Ashwin, Saini and potentially Rahul - that is too many soft tissue injuries in one season, forget one series!
ssp

Post by ssp »

Just hope 4-5 sessions are washed out. Only hope to avoid a defeat