West Indies in India

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: West Indies in India

Post by Kumar »

Numbers game is always interesting. Can we make a case that Raj has a case about sky’s performance ? :Offtopic: Is that even right english usage?

Sky in his first 3 innings, 82 balls faced and 139 runs
Sky in the subsequent 8 innings, 99 balls faced ( 3 not outs) and 147 runs. Still averaging 28 runs and 148 SR.

As a number 4 batsman, in a very limited sample size( 5 innings), his average is 19 runs (healthy SR 146.5). Interestingly only Pakistan’s Hafeez and WI pooran has a worser avg among Top playing nations, while Pant has exactly the same average, but with a SR of 113. Looks like both Pant and Sky are not suited for that coveted 4th spot.

Before i respond to one of your post, u all have 6-7 responses :D
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Having fun on a Saturday.

Yes, so that Kumar shows that at #4, he has not been consistent. But, he has got 5 chances. The question is how many did Pant get and what did he do?

Also, are performances at other slots predictive of success at #4 when we do not have direct evidence? And, I would rather use the evidence from other T20I matches if possible. After that, I want to use evidence from IPL and domestic T20s. And, maybe then if we still do not have enough, go and look at ODIs. The selectors use ODIs before they use domestics, I think and IPL before ODIs. Maybe that is the correct thing to do. My gut feeling says it is not but I have not checked those methods out using numbers to see which one has more backing and when.

Clearly, SAY's record in T20Is is incomplete and we cannot say anything with any certainty. More so, if we slice and dice things which creates smaller samples. I am not saying that. I was arguing a very narrow point that SAY has never played multiple consecutive successful/good (or whatever the term was) innings in T20Is, which is blatantly and provably false.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:18 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:11 pm Correction, Its not We. When a people can't bear the response of their idiotic views they call others idiot :D Biggest creativity is backing a player on 3 innings and criticizing other players when they fail.
Ah, now who would have done that? I have always asked to see the whole body of work and use averages and SRs. And other aggregate statistics. I have never asked to look only at three innings. I used the three innings to show that he has played multiple matches where he succeeded as a direct counterpoint to your blatantly false statement that he has not. That, my friend, is called a counter-example and not a theorem. And, one needs only one counterexample to prove a theorem wrong.

Thank you for the latest fiction that Ishan is useless. Brilliant!

What else did I say sir? Can you create a few more fictional statements? Yeh dil maange more.

Reading skills, reading skills. :p
Shreyas Iyer has 40 average in England tour of India T20I series in 2021 series.Thats how you look whole body, aggregate stats. SKY's 3 innings seems the whole body.Many lols are there with 2 runs in 2 balls with 100 SR.You just come to debate with best innings and forget rest performances to put an argue.Out of those remaining matches, he came to came to bat at n.o 3 /4 when plenty of overs were there but he failed.
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Just to add more fuel to fire, Virat Kohli's first 7 inning were 26,28,14,4,15,22,31 average 23 strike rate 111.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is no point banging the head against the wall. That is a very good point SaniaFan. Given the two vacancies in the MO, the contenders are SIye, Hooda, and Ruturaj. My vote goes to the last two. SIye has got some chances and we have some data on him. Ruturaj and Hooda, we know less about. Alternatively, we can say that SSI needs more reps to figure it out and he is a better bet than Hooda for the T20I WC. But, given that we have established proper bats such as Rahul, Rohit, Kohli, with a return of Dhawan or Kishan, Ruturaj for the top order we possibly need more depth at the lower order with SAY and empty spots. So, I'd be tempted to go for Hooda and Ruturaj. Let's see what they do. I hope they rest Chahal too and give Kullu a bowl. And, maybe Avesh or Siraj for Bhuvi. Although that will make for a long tail.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Pant also played 5 innings at 4!

My guess, Shreyas Iyer and Ruturaj makes the team. Question, who opens? Ishan kishen or Gaikwad. I would prefer KL to come in MO and find a opener to pair with Rohit.

Ishan Kishen will get 4 more innings. Would be interesting to see if he makes use of the opportunity.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Not so sure that Kishan will get four more innings. They brought back Sampson. But, yes, this team management has sort of a pecking order. And, they go by that. So, SSI selected ahead of Hooda will possibly get a chance in the MO before Hooda. And, Kishan before Sampson. I think they want to see if Kishan can cut it in the MO. So, Ruturaj opens. But, maybe Ishan comes in at #3 is my guess. Then, they will send in Shreyas, SAY, and then VIye.

The other option would be to send in Iyer at #3, SAY, Kishan, Venky.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Very good innings by SAY. And, the Mr. and Mrs. Iyer duo. Our openers: Rutu, Kishan, and Rohit were too slow. Kishan has a very poor strike rate after eight games: 110. The only slower batsmen than him is Ruturaj. The next above him is the slowpoke Jadeja 113. The modern game needs a SR of 135 and above. Ideally, we need to find people who average 25 and have a SR of 135. We are getting pretty close to having a set of batters who can do that. Rahul, Rohit, Kohli, SAY, Venki. SSI is just out with a SR of 133 and an avg. of 28. I'd throw all of them in for the first six at the WC. Of course, SAY and Venki have to sustain their good starts to their careers.
Rajkumar Sharma

Two more innings for Ishan against SL to match Sanju's total matches and get dropped, unless he plays big innings, 10 T20Is are enough to push him back. Sanju should'nt bat as opener but management will definately play him as opener. Venky shoukd ball full qouta of 4 overs from now. We have 6 T20s abroad and the Asia Cup, to make final call on 2nd wicket keeper and 3 openers for T20 World Cup

So far 3rd opener post is empty along with 2nd wicket keeper and 2 pacers

Bumrah - fixed

Choices based on roles :

Venues to be kept in mind - Melbourne , Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobert

Seam/ Swing & Batting ability at 8th position- D Chahar, B Kumar, Shardul

Pace - Siraj, Shami, P Krishna, Avesh

Variation - Bowling tough overs - Natarajan, Harshal

Waiting for IPL if selectors gives it importance for selection - Umran Malik, Shivam Mavi
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Disappointing start for Rutu! He is in Dhoni’s mold as well (needs to settle down before he opens up). Both Ishant and Rutu should get the entire series to show their capability

Sky and V Iyer are probably two of the least talented players in this team and they have done well in this series. Will have to see how they fare against better opponents! v iyer needs to field better!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sometimes success is about the mind and not exactly about technical talent. Let them play. Give them chances overseas. Wrt SAY and VI.

My policy is simple. Every player should get at least 15 matches T20I and about the same ODIs. Maybe about 8 tests. Matches where you do not get to perform do not count. So both Kishan and Samson should get up to 15 matches. As should Rutu.
Rajkumar Sharma

Shreyas Iyer has now some role in developing V Iyer. He should make him ball in every matches of IPL just like Rohit groomed Pandya in Mumbai

Real test of these new players will be in overseas and so far they are down after SA Series. Upcomming New Zealand Tour & England tour will give a clear picture where these new commers are at present situation in playing away from home. Our odi set up is still unsettled and the biggest question is giving position to KL Rahul which will make SKY/ S Iyer or V Iyer warm in the bench.