5+-nation Tournament XI

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

5+-nation Tournament XI

Post by prasen9 »

What would be your 5+-nation Tournament ODI XI for India?

Mine is:

Sehwag, Dhawan, Rohit, Kohli, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dhoni, Kapil, Kumble, Srinath, Zaheer

12th man: R. Jadeja

Backup spinner: Ravi Ashwin. He would make it because it is a historical XI even though he does not make my current ODI XI. The current ODI rules make it hard for off-spinners to get wickets in the middle overs. Hence.

Backup pacer: Manoj Prabhakar. I am firmly in the Atithee camp that bowlers need to bat. My caveat is that unless they are really stars. So, Srinath, Zaheer and the current Bumrah get a pass. Srinath and Zaheer could bat a bit though.

Roger Binny would be another consideration for backup pacer because of his heroics in the WC and because he could bat. If I remember correctly, he was also an excellent fielder but my memory is not my strong point.

Or Madan Lal. Again can bat a bit.

Backup batsman: Azhar/Dravid

Which is to say many in the current team except our top-3 have not played *that* many multi-nation tournaments. 5th-bowler is Ganguly/Sehwag. And, a young Tendulkar.
arjun2761

Re: 5+-nation Tournament XI

Post by arjun2761 »

Even though he hasn't done it for as long, I think Bumrah at his peak is likely more dangerous than any of our older pacers were at their peak.
prasen9

Re: 5+-nation Tournament XI

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, that is true at least from the runs/over point of view. I have not taken into account people who we have not seen much because everyone can have a good day. For example, Raju has good stats in tournaments like these over a small sample size. He will get his chance this WC. Let him prove himself and then he makes it in.