India in Australia, 2018-2019

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in Australia, 2018-2019

Post by PKBasu »

When I first posted that link, only the Aussie side had been named. Now India have named their 12, and it has just 4 bowlers -- Bumrah, Ishant, Shami and Ashwin. I don't understand what Bhuvi needs to do to get picked for test matches. Or Umesh. for that matter (he starred in the last test India played!). Either Rohit or Vihari will bat at #6, neither of whom inspires much confidence.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 am India's bowlers should be licking their lips! I presume we will play Bumra, Bhuvi and Shami as our bowlers, with Umesh next in line. I think we should also play two spinners in Adelaide and Sydney, so I would pick Jadeja and Kuldeep.
Ishant will play for sure. Selectors have a fetish for him. But, he seems to have found his rhythm back so I wouldn’t begrudge his selection this time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

But, Atithee, it leaves a long tail. By your metric we should have played Bhuvi. If I recall correctly, Bhuvi's test record is good but not good in Australis(?).
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

With no Hardik or other bowling all rounder, are we really expecting 4 guys to bowl all the overs? Better hope we bat first.
ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ankit1407 »

they will play Vihari and use him as a part time 5th bowler... Hope Ashwin can prove me wrong but its a useless selection ahead of Kuldeep..
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ishant Sharma's average in Australia is 62 over 10 tests. He has had a good run in the last three years. So, hopefully, he will do something good.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If you want Kuldeep in, and I want that, it has to be a double switch. We cannot have such a long tail. It has to be Ashwin+Ishant/Shami out and Kuldeep+Bhuvi in.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm But, Atithee, it leaves a long tail. By your metric we should have played Bhuvi. If I recall correctly, Bhuvi's test record is good but not good in Australis(?).
I didn’t advocate for him; I just said that Kohli or the selectors really like him. Maybe it’s his workhorse ethic. I did, however, say that this time I wouldn’t begrudge his selection as in the past I’ve been vehemently opposed to him being anywhere near the team, let alone being in it.

Yes, I’d take BK over him any day but only if BK pulls his weight in batting as he did in England a couple years ago.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 pm If you want Kuldeep in, and I want that, it has to be a double switch. We cannot have such a long tail. It has to be Ashwin+Ishant/Shami out and Kuldeep+Bhuvi in.
Prasen, sorry; I was replying to your post as I did just now but inadvertently marked it as “report a post.” Mods, please ignore my report. I’ve no intention of reporting Prasen’s post.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar's away batting record is good. Avg. 28 over 10 tests. 50 in Australia. 27.44 in England. 33 in RSA. He can't bat to spin. Or in India. He averages 14! It may be small sample size and things may smoothen out a bit. But, he is a much better bat than any of the other bowlers. And, in this series and generally abroad, we will need all the low-end batting we can get. Every other team has that. England has it. And, Cummins and Starc can bat. Lyon can. Etc.

Starc averages 21, Cummins 20, Lyon 12, Hazlewood 13. Total: 66.

We have:

Ashwin 30, Ishant 8, Shami 12, Bumrah 1 (over 7 innings!). Total: 51.

And, if we factor in that it is on their home pitch, this difference of 15 runs will be starker, I think.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm
prasen9 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 pm If you want Kuldeep in, and I want that, it has to be a double switch. We cannot have such a long tail. It has to be Ashwin+Ishant/Shami out and Kuldeep+Bhuvi in.
Prasen, sorry; I was replying to your post as I did just now but inadvertently marked it as “report a post.” Mods, please ignore my report. I’ve no intention of reporting Prasen’s post.
lol. I am making people so angry that they are now reporting me :-) And, here I thought I had mellowed down :-) We'll see if the removal is done by a bot or not ;-)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm ......But, he is a much better bat than any of the other bowlers. And, in this series and generally abroad, we will need all the low-end batting we can get. Every other team has that. England has it. And, Cummins and Starc can bat. Lyon can......

And, if we factor in that it is on their home pitch, this difference of 15 runs will be starker, I think.
We seem to have a mental issue taking wickets after 5 wickets are down. Granted all teams are scoring more than usual now a days, but we are the worst. Just look at even mediocre teams we are playing in NZ and CAXI that the full strength Indian team just played against. Shocking number of runs given away to the last five.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I think going in with 4 bowlers, each of our frontline bowler will have to bowl a minimum of 20 overs in a day. This may be a lot asking from Bhuvi, given that he has been prone to breakdowns. That must have factored into his non-selection as also I think the conditions are not expected to favor swing bowling.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rahul fails again with an asinine shot in the second over. Not a reliable opening batsman.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

So Vihari doesn't even play. If any of our FOUR bowlers gets a niggle, this team won't be able to take 20 wickets.