West Indies in India, 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: West Indies in India, 2018

Post by prasen9 »

I have been the only one grumbling about Bhuvi's lack of wickets. But, he provides vital batting cover at #8, can swing the ball, which should be useful in England, and can keep runs down at the end, at least in comparison with our other non-Bumrah bowlers. If England gives us rank batting wickets, Bhuvi will be in trouble. He does swing the new ball and gets wickets in the first few overs. If he does not, that day his numbers are bad because he rarely takes wickets in the middle. Maybe some at the end where the batsman gifts theirs.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I know this will not happen but I am hoping it will:

Dhawan, Rahul, Rayudu, Pandey, Pant, Dhoni, Jadeja, Bhuvi, Kuldeep, Bumrah, Khaleel.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Why should Dhoni and Pant play in the same XI? Only one of them should play, as neither has shown any batting form.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Because I want to rest Rohit and Kohli and throw everyone else into the mix and see them eke out a win. That is all. This is not by merit. Oh sorry, I missed Kedar. Replace Dhoni by Kedar. Now you will be happy :-) Captain: Dhawan.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kuldeep destroying the WI batting in the first T20I
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:42 pm Kuldeep destroying the WI batting in the first T20I
Virat and Ravi never approved of him. Wonder what they say now
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is no rhyme or reason in our team planning. Karthik is keeping and Pant is not. Pant is our future keeper. We should give him keeping practice to international bowlers in these largely meaningless matches.

Rahul misjudged and dropped a catch off Umesh but it is hard to see why Umesh is there in the team. Khalil and Bumrah pick themselves. If we want to keep it tight, Bhuvi is there. If we want someone new, what happened to Kaul? He is not a Test or ODI bowler, but in this format in the two chances he was given he took wickets at 13 runs/wicket and 6.5 runs/over. He has had reasonably good IPL seasons.

With the new ball, Thomas got bounce and movement and he has pace. Rohit is a bunny in one over. And, he is going to play tests in Australia because Kohli and Shastri just love him and politicked to deny Nair chances in England because their chosen one was not sent up.

And, Dhawan follows.

Risabh Pant has done very well with the bat in tests but has been all at sea in ODIs and T20Is. I think he is suffering a bit from Shewag-ism. The coach should tell him to think that this is a test match, say for the first 10 balls in T20Is, especially low-scoring ones, and 15 balls in ODIs. He is naturally aggressive. So, his test match pace will be fine for the initial part of the innings. He tries to be hyper-aggressive in ODIs and T20Is and hence averages in the 20s. Not only in ODIs and T20Is but also in List-As. Pant averages only 28-ish in List-As over 35 matches. That is one of the reasons why Dhoni still continues in ODIs.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In the end, a win with two overs to spare. Easy. As it should be. Great anchoring innings by Karthik. Krunal played some crisp shots and did well. Pandey just about provided what we needed. And Rahul looked good until that stupidity of hitting directly to the player.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It makes no sense to have both DK and Pant in the XI. And the latter should hopefully be dropped after that terrible shot. Krunal Pandya made a truly impressive debut with ball and (especially) bat. Deft touch and clever batting by him. DK has to be a certainty in the T20I side.
Kuldeep was utterly brilliant today with the ball. He is a genius in limited-overs Cricket.
Khaleel was impressive too, alongside the superb Bumrah. But the pace and movement of Oshane Thomas was a treat to watch.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So we have an abundance of left arm orthodox spinners for the limited overs formats now — Jadeja, Krunal and Shahbaz Nadeem (who has proven himself in all 3 formats but is yet to win an India cap).
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:51 pm And Rahul looked good until that stupidity of hitting directly to the player.
And this is why Rahul is still not a regular in any format despite all the talent.

Such a lackadaisical player. Drops catches, misfields and gets dismissed stupidly. Had a great chance to score a 50 in an easy run chase and cement his place in the team for the near future.

Very happy for Krunal. I have long vouched for him and I hope he becomes a regular in the LOI formats quickly and goes to the WC. Spiritual successor to Raina. Selfless somewhat limited player who is above average in all 3 dimensions of the game.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Happy for Krunal too. I liked that he was mentally strong and did not make a mountain out of a molehill. He played some sort of a reverse paddle sweep-ish shot. I am glad he did not miss that. Then, the criticism would have been heavy. If that is a high % shot for him, he should continue to play that. Otherwise, he should keep the adventurism in India. He has reasonable cricketing shots that he can play that make space and are high %. He should stick to that at the early part of the innings.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

BhuKu takes wickets in T20s and in tests. He cannot do it when batsmen are taking singles in ODIs. Most of his wickets are in the first spell when the ball is new and swinging. Maybe he will figure things out and become a better wicket-taking ODI bowler. We need him because none of the others can bat and he can keep the runs down in the slog overs.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Very bizarre that Bhuvi was denied the new ball today, which was handed to Washington Sundar instead. Surely that is wasting a swing bowler!
And it is equally ludicrous that Pant has been picked again after two atrocious shots in each of the first two T20Is.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good to finally see Rishabh Pant play a responsible innings today; first got his eye in, then started bashing the ball. A single after a six suggests that he is responding to the coaching.