West Indies in India, 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: West Indies in India, 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Karun Nair was dropped immediately after making a test triple century. That is the sort of decision that will shake the confidence of any batsman. To have not played him at the Oval, although he was picked ahead of Vihari for the squad, only reinforced that. There was a lot of hype surrounding Vihari's first-class record (he supposedly had the "highest first-class average among all contemporary batsmen"), neatly overlooking the fact that most of those runs were plundered in the lower reaches (Plate division) of the Ranji trophy.

Vishnu (VReddy), did you watch Vihari's test debut? I did, and presumably the selectors did too. He was LBW on zero, but luckily for him the umpire made a wrong decision (he had already been reprieved earlier when he was given LBW but escaped by a whisker via DRS). He did play better on the second morning, but looked all at sea for the first hour that he was at the crease. His second scoring shot was a very badly miscued evasive hook that went for six. He looked like Madanlal in 1974 at the crease, not like a proper batsman.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Karun Nair made 29 in the tour game against West Indies, Vihari made 3.
In List A (Hazare trophy) matches this season, Nair has made 4, 31 and 37. In his 3 List A matches, Vihari has made 27, 9 and 7.
If it is form we are going by, neither should be picked. But Nair deserves to be in the squad more than Vihari does.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

For the record—I’m not advocating “Hanumanji” over “Krishnaji.” I was merely stating that Karun hasn’t set the stage alight since that triple hundred.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

True. Give him a few more matches. Let's just be a bit more karun to Karun. Then, if he does not produce, chuck him out. As I said, I do not mind the man with the missing "n" get a chance before the man who has it at the end.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This test squad is somewhat young-ish or middle-aged. If we can fix a few of our glaring problems, it may start winning test series abroad.

Old: Ashwin (32), Umesh, Pujara, Rahane (30), Kohli (29).
Young: Prithvi (18), Pant (20), Kuldeep (23), Siraj, Vihari (24).

Interesting that we are blooding five young people at 24 or under. Hopefully, they grab their chances and become regulars with stellar performances.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rahul falls in the first over. This is why I don't like him as opener: given his penchant to get out early (0-15) or score big runs (50 or 100+), he should bat in the middle order. He doesn't give you the reliability that an opener must. His front foot trigger movement is getting him into trouble repeatedly against the new ball. This pitch is very green.

Shaw has been brilliant. 22* off 16 balls now. Confident and impeccable from the first ball. Three beautiful glances, a couple of drives off the back foot -- one a cover drive, the other a square drive. Very pleasing batsman to watch.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Shaw's bat looks really bruised and battered. He needs to get himself a new one...

But he has been flawless in making 43* off 44 balls so far. A pleasing front foot cover drive and a couple of straight drives have completed the picture. He is not as assured against spin as against pace (as one expects with an opening batsman).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kemar Roach has gone back for his grandmother's funeral. Ridiculous, when he is such an important member of the bowling attack.
And Jason Holder has dropped out injured before the start of the test (with opener Kraig Brathwaite the stand-in captain). So, apart from Gabriel, the bowling really looks pretty ordinary.
Bishoo is getting very little turn on this green pitch on Day 1.

Half-century on debut for Prithvi Shaw.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Century off 99 balls on his test debut for 18 year old Prithvi Shaw. Masterly innings, albeit against a weak attack.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't know why they dropped Miguel Cummings, who looked decent. Anyway, whatever. Any WI team (contemporary) would lose to India. The real test will be in Australia. Shaw has booked a ticket. Rahul can book his exit if he keeps playing this way but I guess he is going to be handled like Rohit was, i.e., given many many chances to succeed even when he does not and maybe will come good.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

A pace attack comprising Gabriel, Roach and Jason Holder is actually pretty decent. But playing without two of them makes a travesty of this test (even on a relative green top on Day 1).

That Rahane and Rahul still failed is telling, especially the former against spin: Lyon will get him frequently in Australia. Agarwal should replace Rahane in Hyderabad.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 pmAs I said, I do not mind the man with the missing "n" get a chance before the man who has it at the end.
Brilliant! :D :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't know think the pitch was that much of a green top. It had some light grass but the ball was coming nicely to the bat. Not any deviation off the pitch. Gabriel got one to swing to Rahul because the ball was quite new (in the air) and Rahul has developed this awful technique/habit. At least Rahane got some runs. I do think he "failed" relatively speaking but if this spurs him on to get going in the future innings that will be great. I would play one of Hanuma or Mayank in the next test if he fails in I2. But, chances are we may not need an I2 or he may not need to bat :-)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The ludicrous mismatch continues. Windies 32/3 in response to 649/9d. Jadeja finally got his first test century, while batting with #11 Shami (who can bat, but is unreliable with his hit or miss style). Pant played a typically breezy innings, falling for 92 at well over a run a ball, while Kohli is now the accumulator, making a slow 139. Even Jadeja didn't hit a boundary in his first 30 runs, but then ended with a flurry of fours and sixes.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

One quiet change that none of the media commented on was that Jadeja was sent in before Ashwin. I think Ashwin is good with the bat abroad like Bhuvi. In India, Jadeja, Saha, Ashwin should have been the order. Of course, Pant is a better bat than Jadeja. So, he comes before any of these guys. Actually, he should come ahead of Pandya too. Pandya averages 29 in FC cricket, Pant over 50 in 40 innings or so. That should be enough evidence to show that Pant is a better bat.

Why is Pant not in the ODI team? Drop Dhoni and blood Pant. There are only so many matches before the WC. We should not give Dhoni a place without competition especially since he uses up all the hot water these days and then gets out playing a cameo of 30 or so :-(