Asia Cup, 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Asia Cup, 2018

Post by ankit1407 »

Kuldeep takes a single, 5 of 5.. Kedar on strike
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

2 needed of 3..
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

dot ball. 2 of 2..
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

1 needed of last ball...
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

we won by 3 wkt after making a heavy weather of an easy run chase...never bat second in such crunch matches but we seems to in no mood to learn...

while we did not get answers to who our #4 to #6 is, but hopefully selectors by now know its not Karthi & Dhoni...
ssp

Post by ssp »

Dumb batting towards the end. Even 4 singles an over seemed beyond our players. Several dot balls and then some silly shot was the pattern....much like the performance against Afghanistan.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

If we had lost, I would have said that this would be on Dhoni. He and Karthik played the slowest. A tad faster would have not put pressure on the lower order. Dhoni should have looked for a few more singles.

On the other hand, apart from Rohit, Dhoni and Karthik actually scored the most.

I like Jadhav. He is a handy bowler. And, he actually showed surprising alacrity in running hard for the single of the second last ball when Kuldeep was not expecting that even though his hamstring was shot. That shows character. And, he kept his cool. And did not waste too many balls. But, he has to work on his fitness. He is much fitter now but that may not be enough. He is also on the older side. So, do not know how much fitter he can get.

It is easy to knock Karthik but in the last two years, he has scored at an average of 50 and a SR of 71.57. Pretty similar to Rayudu. He has an average of 49.2 and a SR of 76.82.

I want India to blood Pant (ideally). Or move Karthik to the keeper role. Drop Dhoni. We have had enough.

Dhawan, Rohit, Kohli, Rayudu, Kedar, Pant, Pandya, bowlers.

In reality Rayudu will be replaced by Rahul and it may not be a bad idea.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So my World Cup squad now stands as follows:

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Rahul/Rayudu
Pant
Jadhav /Jadeja
Pandya
Bhuvi/Khaleel
Kuldeep
Shami / Chahal
Bumrah

In reality, Pandya should bat ahead of Jadeja, and occasionally behind Jadhav (whose batting hasn't been convincing, but who has a good effect as sixth bowler). I also wouldn't rule Ashwin out completely, but his fielding is a handicap. The main problem persisting with Dhoni is that he weakens the batting, and Jadhav at #5 wouldn't be convincing. Prithwi Shaw, with his spectacular List A performances at age 18, is clearly knocking on the door too, as is Mayank Agarwal. Down the road, there will be Shubman Gill.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I would go with this team. However, I am not as high on Pandya as you are. Kedar is firmly before the all-rounders. And, if Jadeja plays, I would play Jadeja ahead of Pandya because he is a left-hander and breaks up the slew of right-handers. If you look at advanced stats, it matters. Also, Jadeja is simply a better batsman than Pandya. I will consider sending Pandya before these two is if I need heavy hitting and say we are in the 40+ over stage.