World Cup 2019

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

World Cup 2019

Post by prasen9 »

We were discussing Raina in different threads. So, I thought I would create this thread given that it is about a year away. Wrt Raina, he may well be a candidate, but the way Manish is playing in the T20s and that Raina has been good but not that great, he may get some more chances.

The cup is from end of May to mid July. Hopefully, the weather will be conducive to some good cricket. I do not want flat belters because we do not do very well. But against EAR countries in really swinging conditions may not be ideal either.
PKBasu

Re: World Cup 2019

Post by PKBasu »

We will definitely go into the World Cup in England as firm favourites to win it. Bhuvi will be the core of the bowling, and swing will play a big part. Gurbani will hopefully come into the reckoning as well.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Gurbani is a trundler and needs to put the hard work like Bhuvi did to increase his pace by 10 clicks. International batsman will feast on his bowling especially on the pancakes which are often produced in LOI cricket including in England.

That said, his List A average is dismal and he will get his opportunities in first class matches for the A team.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, Jadeja comes back to form in this series. But, this is in India, where Jadeja is king as a bowler. How will he fare in England? If he is about the same as Chahal, then getting his bat will be useful. Hopefully, the team management will then ask the people up front to bat at a higher (but still with low risks if possible) clip.

Khaleel possibly is jockeying for the #3 bowler and has an edge now after swinging the ball both ways in Mumbai beautifully.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I would prefer to play Kuldeep and Chahal as the spinners, and Jadeja competing with Jadhav for the sixth bowler's slot. Jadeja fields better, but Jadhav is the better batsman. Jadeja much the better bowler, but in English conditions Jadhav's slinging action might well prove more useful.
The batting, after the top 3, is still a conundrum. Rayudu should have been taken to England even after he failed the yoyo test: he should have been told to get fitter, and take the test again every 7 days until he passed. (IIRC, the team for England was announced well in advance of the trip). Now we really have no way of telling whether he will cut it in English conditions. Our World Cup preparations are a mess, although the pace bowling is in great hands with Bhuvi/Shami and Bumra. Khaleel adds nice variety, and any three of those should play most matches. If Hardik Pandya is fit, that lends the side a lot of stability and balance.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Hopefully Krunal will put up the performances to get into contention for the second spin batting option. Jadeja has always been a choker as a LOI batsman.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Ideally if Krunal continues to keep these performances up, we can go with 1 genuine spinner in Kuldeep and 3 all-round options in Kedar and the Pandya brothers at the WC. That suddenly solves a lot of our batting depth and finishing issues since all 3 are guys who can go big from the start unlike the likes of Rayadu and old man Dhoni.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Here is what we have been saying about Dhoni. His stats and where he should bat If we lose early wickets, send him at #4. If not, and we are setting a total, send others who can hit better before him. If we are chasing 300 or more, again send the faster batsmen such as, say Kedar, before him. And hope for the best.

But our problem is that we already have a batsman who is a builder at #4 in Rayudu. If you send Dhoni at #4, what do you do to him? Ideally, only one of Rayudu and Dhoni should play and he should play at #4.

The mistake is not that we are taking Dhoni. The mistake is that we did not give others such as Karthik and Pant a fair chance in the buildup to see if they are better hitters *and* can bat consistently. Pant was given 2 innings. Why not give him the next four matches?

Karthik got 9 outs. He batted at 47 runs/innings but at a SR of 75. During the same period Dhoni has batted better overall. But this is very small sample size and in some cases the matches were low scoring. I would have given Karthik 10-20 more matches to see if he is good enough. Or not brought in Karthik at all and given Rishabh all the chances to develop.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I saw the article as well, and it was surprisingly good for CI given their general biases.

They even called him a passenger with the bat in most cases.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hope all of you have noticed that Dhruv has now added a sharing facility the posts, which we had requested. I have not tested it all, but feel free to share our posts here to your social media. But maybe not just to cricket fans, hopefully. I would personally hate to see the forum over-run by cricket fans (but I guess it is okay, if we monitor thread creation). That may be just my preference :) .... Mod, Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Hopefully this is the last we see of Rayudu. But he seems to lead a charmed life despite repeated failures.

Vijay Shankar has hopefully booked his place in the squad as a batting allrounder capable of performing under pressure (even with the ball).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Rayudu's fielding is going to be a bigger liability in the World Cup. His batting is anyway useless and he has been banned from bowling. It is better to get in Rishabh Pant.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is no reason to play Rayudu over Vijay Shankar at #4 in the initial games at least. Give Vijay the next three matches and the initial matches in the WC. If he fails, we can go back to Rayudu to get stability. Or better still, just play Dhoni at #4. But, I think he will succeed.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Dhoni can only add value in limited situations, a chase where we need to score at 6.5 is not one of them neither is setting a target on a flat pitch.

Rayadu will not add value in any situation if the opposition has good fast bowlers. His fielding will always be a liability.

India will likely crash out in the group stages with this useless player at #4.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Yes. The only chance we have is to load the team with batsmen who can bowl in addition to Bumrah. I’ll keep Shami because he can swing the bat like Zaheer and Harbhajan were able. Despite that, if both Shikhar and Rohit fail at the same time, we will lose every single match. India has zero chances of even making to semis in my opinion. But, PKB will disagree.

So, we need Shankar, Pant, both Pandya brothers, Shikhar, Rahul, Rohit, Kohli, Kedar, Bumrah, and Shami. With this team, we have five proper bowlers and Kedar, and all capable batsmen. Anything is possible including winning the World Cup, if selectors realize the fragility of the team that is likely in their mind. One option would be to play Jadeja instead of Krunal Pandya.