India in England, 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in England, 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Rishabh Pant was over-coached in the first innings, but his second innings cameo was disappointing too. He should learn to hit along the ground as well. The first on-drive for four was an excellent shot, but the lofted cover drive that felled him was an atrocious shot (with the bat turning as he hit it). Having reached the pitch of the ball, he should have played it along the ground. (The six off Moeen was a thing of beauty, and he sensibly played defensively to the next ball, edging it for a single).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pant is young. Don't know if he is the answer. But the real failure this series is that the batsmen have been horrible. Apart from Kohli and Pujara. You cannot win consistently with only two batsmen. In T3, Rahane helped out and so India won.

We need to bolster the opening batting. I would play Shaw for Rahul. He has been too bad for too long. He needs to go to the domestics and figure some things out. Although, to be fair, in the domestics, he won't have Broad bowling swing at him. But just get his form back, score consistent runs in first class. He has let IPL success get to his head.

Somebody criticized Pandya's bowling. His bowling is fine. He is the 4th pacer. They don't get buckets of wickets everytime. And, instead of a consistent bowler, I want an inconsistent bowler with devastating highs. He gave that to us in T3. In this series, there has been only one thing that has been good. The win in T3 and that was baked by Pandya. I will take that. His batting, on the other hand, has been horrible.

Shami and Ashwin have to start bowling better. Shami is perhaps getting there. Ashwin is getting away from there. Don't know if Jadeja is going to be any better.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Frankly, at The Oval, it makes no sense to drop Ashwin, despite his poor form at Southampton. I would play both spinners -- replacing Pandya with Jadeja. Kohli-Shastri's idiocy in team selection is maddening. They appear to want to replace Pandya with Vihari, which would decidedly weaken the bowling.
I would play Shaw, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Jadeja, Pant, Ashwin, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah. (If Bhuvi could have been flown over, he could have replaced Shami).
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

It is Jadeja and Vihari replacing Ashwin (who was not 100% fit in the last test and has further aggravated his injury) and Pandya aka Kapil Dev. Karun Nair misses out and so is Prithvi Shaw.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

No help for the swing bowlers on this pitch. Great pitch to bat on. Jadeja will be key, but Moeen more so in the fourth innings.
ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ankit1407 »

couple of drops post lunch by Rahane and Kohli....

One has to feel for Karun, sitting in dressing room all this while waiting for his chance and then gets ignored ...that too when he is effectively replaced by a middle order bat as well...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Absolutely stupendous bowling performance from Ishant Sharma: 21-10-24-3.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for Karun. He does not belong here; it was the selector's folly in selecting him, the team management is wise enough not to compound the mistake.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

indiansportsfan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for Karun. He does not belong here; it was the selector's folly in selecting him, the team management is wise enough not to compound the mistake.
Well, everyone may have their opinion. The chances he has got he has not done badly. I am all for performance and not merely being the whim of someone just feeling that he does not belong. I have nothing against Vihari though. In fact, on this board, I have called for him being given a chance as early as perhaps Feb'14. I wanted him to be given A-team slots and he has done reasonably well to be afforded a chance in the senior team. If anyone should have replaced Nair, it would have been Vihari or Bawne. I may be missing a few others. Iyer has done well in domestics too. The idea of picking a few failures by Nair when all the batsmen apart from Kohli and Pujara have done no better is being very biased at its best.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

indiansportsfan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for Karun. He does not belong here; it was the selector's folly in selecting him, the team management is wise enough not to compound the mistake.
Well apart from Kohli no other batsman belongs in this case but that was not the point .. the team management is also part of the team selection and it’s hard to believe that in current set up selections willl be done without having captain and coach in confidence..

Likr Prasen, I am happy for Vihari as well.. on another note this track might be the last chance for Shikhar and Rahul to save themselves for the upcoming tours ..can’t
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I think the team management has very little vote in selecting the touring squad. Coming to Karun's performances, he had 1 good innings out of 7 chances, which came on a batting paradise and that too at home. How much easier could it be? Rohit has done better at home than him. Even in India A tours abroad, he has done very little to inspire any confidence.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Who has done better abroad on A-team tours than him? What are the numbers? My impression about the A-team tours are that they are too short to have any meaningful data. If you take one or two innings, then anyone can do well. The same argument you are making against Nair in reverse. But, I maybe wrong. You may know someone who has done consistently better than him in the A-tours over a reasonable sample size. Please point that to me.

Yes, Rohit has done well at home. Better than him. Which is why he got 16 away tests to show us he does not cut it abroad. The same argument is true for Dhawan. For Pujara and to some extent Rahul. My point is that we don't know anyone who can bat abroad except Rahane and Kohli. Pujara has just seemed to get some form. If the others are getting chances based on their domestics and home tests, why can we not give Nair a chance to try to make it work?

Playing and succeeding in these conditions becomes a test of the mind when your techniques are all not adequate. I wanted to see if Nair is mentally strong to gut it out despite technical issues.

Anyway, onto Vihari. I hope he is given a fair run.
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

same old , same old.. just can’t get the lower owder out cheaply ..England 300-8
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Getting Sam Curran out for a duck for a change did not help much either. :D
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Dhawan comes and goes , hopefully this is the last we have seen of him..