India in England, 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in England, 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Nottingham weather forecast is sunny and warm for Saturday and Sunday, so ideal conditions to bat first. Rain is forecast for Monday (the third day of the Trent Bridge test).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

While India has not very many options, England seem to be trying to figure out how to fit in their all-rounders. If I were the selector, I may play them all.

Cook, Jennings, Root, Bairstow, Ollie, Stokes, Curran, Moeen, Woakes, Broad, Anderson.

That's five pacers. They can manage the workload, always useful in a five test series, and use whoever is on a song. Moeen is there if they need spin. None of the all-rounders are that much worse than Buttler wrt their batting capabilities. Of course, abroad, they may need to drop one of the allrounders to find a proper bat. If they have a good bat that is. Seems like they are going through a drought. In fact, Jennings has been rather poor. It is a mystery that Haseeb Hamid suddenly has fallen off the face of the earth and cannot bribe anyone to score some runs.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Bumrah should be fit which would give us a boost for the 3rd test.

If we can have England's luck with the toss and weather conditions, we might be able to compete at least.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Bumrah, Shami, Ishant/Umesh will be better than the other attacks.

For T4 and T5, we should overhaul the batting lineup radically.

Shaw, Mayank, Rahane, Kohli, NewBat would be a good way to go. I'd pack away Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, and Rahul (for now). The new bat should be Nair or Vihari or someone from the A-team.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I think the entire batting line-up other than skipper Kohli have their careers on the line at the Trent Bridge test. If we lose the test, there will probably be wholesale change in the squad for the final two tests -- especially considering that the India A team has stayed so active. Shaw, Mayank Agarwal and Vihari have made a very strong case for themselves.

This is somewhat akin to the situation going into the famous Eden Gardens test of 2001 when Dravid/Laxman saved their careers in dramatic and emphatic fashion. Let's hope some of the batsmen are inspired to emulate them at Trent Bridge...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

How much do you want to bet that the selectors will not pull the gun on wholesale changes? We remember the 4-0, 4-0 defeats or something close to that in England and Australia before the old guard was let go or had the decency to retire themselves (Dravid).

My team for T4 and T5 (assuming failures in T3) would include the two new openers. Maybe I would keep Dhawan just in case things are sunny and because he is a left-hander. He should never be played in swinging conditions or on pitches with lots of grass though. For the MO, I would keep Nair (for the sake of due process) and Vihari as the backup. Pant as the keeper. The bowling unit stays as it is. I hope Bhuvi gets fit.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Rohit Sharma is ready to open if asked per a news report I read. Wouldn’t put this past the selectors.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rohit Sharma isn't in the test squad, so there should be no question of him being under consideration for Trent Bridge!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Much better weather conditions today and so far, our batsmen (bar Pujara) have done well.

Hopefully we can get to 400, and Bumrah can rattle the English batsmen later.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Why exactly is Nair in the squad if we're never giving him a game. Pujara needs to go.

I am excited for Pant - so far so good. Of course, we have to see how good he is as a keeper.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Precisely my point, wrt Nair. It is unfortunate that Vijay was dropped. But, I suppose they wanted to give the youngster Rahul more of a chance. He better start producing. Anyway, I hope for the last two tests, we get two young new openers in. Hope Pujara, Vijay, and Dhawan are dropped for good.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Now Ashwin is injured on a pitch which will get slow and England have to bat last :puke:

Kohli/Shastri combo is terrible and the latter should be sacked for being inept but luck has certainly not been on our side all series. Lost every toss, played in the worst conditions in test 2, missed our 2 frontline pacers (though I would put this on Kohli overplaying them in LOIs) and now Ashwin seems to be in trouble.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Five catches on debut for Pant! Can we please send DK back to India forthwith.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrific day for India, with Pandya excelling with the ball, Pant behind the wicket on debut, and then the openers putting up another fine opening stand. With 3 days to go, India lead by 292 runs, with 8 wickets still in hand. What a commanding position!!
And to top it off, Pujara is gradually regaining form.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Pujara has saved his career! At least he will get two more tests. Maybe so has Dhawan (wrt Tests). Rahul will possibly continue too. I would like both young openers, if it is one, I would prefer Shaw to be sent in as a replacement opener for T4 and T5.

England made a major mistake dropping Curran. And, I do not have a high opinion of Rasheed. I would have taken the batting of Moeen and he has given India some troubles in the past. All the all-rounders may have given their batting some spine too. But, hey, I am not complaining.