New Zealand in India, ODIs, 2017

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

New Zealand in India, ODIs, 2017

Post by prasen9 »

Karthik and Thakur are back in the team. Rahane continues. Rahul, Shami, and Umesh dropped! Shami is our second-best wicket-taking bowler in ODIs. He is possibly not in the best of ODI form. But, it would have been smarter to have him get back to form when Bhuvi and Bumrah need rest than to try Thakur, who I have not found to be very impressive. Admittedly, I have not seen much of him either.

Rahul has a slightly better average and a slightly better SR than Rahane, but, he is sent out and Rahane continues! The only justification is that we are using Rahane's test success to think he will be needed overseas. But, Rahul has it in him to succeed overseas too :-(

Kuldeep, Chahal, and Axar continue. I hope Kuldeep and Chahal are the regulars and Axar the backup --- because the former are more genuine wicket-takers. The only genuine strike bowlers are Bumrah and Kuldeep. If we do not have Chahal, we will have only two genuine strike bowlers, two run savers in Bhuvi and Axar (although Axar is more of a strike bowler than Bhuvi), and Pandya, who is neither but can bat and bowls okay enough for a fifth bowler while sharing his overs with Kedar. I would prefer to go in with three strike bowlers. Hence, Chahal over Axar.
prasen9

Re: New Zealand in India, ODIs, 2017

Post by prasen9 »

Unfortunately, Kuldeep got dropped after the first match. Axar did what he does. Keep it quiet and chip in with a wicket or two here. He is maybe a marginally better bowler than Jadeja without the fielding or the batting. I would prefer Jadeja back in the ODI team replacing Axar, but not sure about him being in the XI. I am not so sure about Ashwin in the ODI team either. My top two in Indian conditions would be Kuldeep and Chahal.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Lovely to see Nehra bowling from the Ashish Nehra end at the Kotla. Sadly three (admittedly tough) catches were dropped off his bowling in his first 3 overs (by Dhoni, Pandya and Kohli, great fielders all). And he got to bowl the final over the match.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Another heavy defeat chasing a big total.

I think the selectors will keep digging their heads in the sand until we got walloped in SA 5-1 or 6-0 in my opinion.

Our LOI batting is long past the stage of needing refreshing.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

As is the bowling. Bumrah, Chahal and Kuldeep are the strike bowlers. Inexplicably, we dropped Kuldeep. We need a left-arm fast bowler. Should have tried to give Sran more experience since we have written off Unadkat. And, inexplicably, we played six bowlers this match (counting Hardik)!

I would keep Rohit, Kohli, and Dhoni in the T20Is and give Mandeep, Pant, and Rahul chances. The allrounder and #8 could be Hardik and Ashwin for T02Is and Jadeja for ODIs (so as to give both a rest in one of the formats). Pant learns from Dhoni for a few series and then we say goodbye to Dhoni.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Yes, I agree, Dhoni should be out. He is utter useless guy out there. It is more fun to lose by 100 runs than getting closer. Whenever everyone fails, Pant should rescue the team. After all batsman are suppose to play all overs and score on easy pitches. Wicket keeper should rescue the team from most difficult positions and should always be highest scorer with 200% strike rate. I really love some great analysis here.