India domestic season 2017/18

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India domestic season 2017/18

Post by PKBasu »

A century in 20 balls has to be something of a world record, but I'm not sure records are kept of every type of cricket match. This was a somewhat representative match -- between Mohun Bagan (Wriddhiman's team) and BNR (Bengal-Nagpur Railway), one of the regular sports teams in Calcutta (among the top-10 club sides in cricket, football and hockey in the city leagues). He hit 14 sixes and 4 fours, and possibly got a couple of singles off the other two balls. Must have been phenomenal hitting from the first ball onwards.

The quality difference between club and first-class (and especially club and test) cricketers is quite vast. My father remembers fielding against Pankaj Roy in the college championship final (my dad opened for St Xavier's College, Pankaj for the Law College), and he used to blast the ball like nobody else (despite his reputation for dour opening batsmanship at the test level). My own college team-mate, Debu Mohanty, used to just smash one six after another in the nets; yet when picked for India under-22 to play the mighty West Indies (in the 1983-84 series) he took nearly two hours to make 22!
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Some innings by Ishan Kishan today against Bumrah, Thakur, Mavi and Bhajji. Dhawan continued his good form.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

This was a charity match in support of reducing noise pollution.

So, the No Honking XI (led by Yuvraj) was beaten by the Road Safety XI (led by Raina), with the latter's Ishan Kishan (124*) and Shikhar Dhawan (68*) overhauling the other team's 202/9 (Rahul 56, Yuvi 30, DK 29) without the loss of a wicket.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Cricket sent the right message by saying that road safety is more important than no honking. But, let that not distract us from paying attention to the no honking policy unless it is trumped by road safety concerns. I am glad road safety won without "losing" any person ;-)