India in Sri Lanka, July-August 2017

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India in Sri Lanka, July-August 2017

Post by prasen9 »

Pandya has also done well. But, with injuries popping up, you never can have enough allrounders. And, the modern game is going that way. England plays with Stokes, Moeen, and Broad who can all bat. Australia has Maxwell, Marsh, Agar. Pattinson and Starc can bat. We should train Pandya, Bhuvi and Kuldeep to bat seriously. In tests abroad, you can play both Bhuvi and Pandya along with Shami as the bowlers. In India, if we have to choose between Pandya and Bhuvi, when it seems like we need more batting, we should choose Pandya. If it seems like the pitch is flat-ish and we need more bowling, choose Bhuvi.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What Atithee perhaps hinted but nobody has come out and said: This was one of the best comeback victories that we have ever had. I don't recall a 100 run partnership to win the match on a low-scoring game after having lost 7 wickets.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We talk about Rohit or Karthik having the compromising photos of the selectors. The one person who has really compromising photos or videos of all selectors is Sri Lankan captain Crapugedera --- I mean Kapugedera. He averages 21 and does not bowl, yet, he has played 100 ODIs. There is no way anyone could do that in the Indian team.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I hear from sources close to the BCCI management that Shastri is Pandya's biggest backer -- and wants to groom him to be the next captain!
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kedar Jadhav is proving to be a bit of a scrub outside of home conditions with the bat.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It may be too early to call that even though it may be true. So, I hope he is given a couple of series abroad before we decide. The problem is that we have been trying to get good hitters who can bat at the lower order and we do not have too many options. At the top of the order we have Rahul knocking on the door. But, in the lower order we only have Manish Pandey.

Speaking of which, Rahul has not done much either. I think he is more of an opener than someone in the middle order. I don't like Kohli at #4. Kohli should be #3 and Rahul is no #4. Dhawan and Rohit are the settled openers. Dhoni does not have it in him to consistently hit if the RRR is too high. So, he has to play at #4. Now, we have two slots, I would like Kedar and Manish (in reverse order) to play there. Let's see if they can cut it. Hardik at #7.

For the next two matches, we can rest Kohli and play Rahul. Let Rohit be the captain and get used to it before he has to do it in a meaningful match. The more drastic move would be to rest both Kohli and Rohit and play Manish and Rahane. Maybe Dhawan captains.

The other spot I think should be changed is Axar. I would have liked to give Kuldeep a few games. Axar is possibly the better bat. But, Axar is a defensive bowler focused on keeping the runs down. We already have Bhuvi doing that. I think we need more strike bowlers. And, Kuldeep has a chance to be more successful abroad than Axar. We can also rest Bhuvi and play Shardul to give him some experience.

I don't understand why Sri Lanka dropped Maharoof. He was a steady ODI bowler.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

India is missing Jadhav's bowling today. Kohli bowled two overs of tripe. You need a half-decent bowler as the 6th bowler as insurance if someone has a bad day.

Manish Pandey played very well today. Rahul failed again. I would use Rahul's spot to give to Jadhav for at least one more away series. Rahul should take Rahane's spot. He does not seem to have figured out how to play in the middle order.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Yeah Rahul has been a disaster at 4.

We need to progress in ODIs and soon - 1,2,3 is good but 4 and 5 both need strong additions.

Pandey is of course a candidate but we should also try out the likes of Krunal and Pant.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I don't understand why Manish Pandey is treated like a step-child. He is dropped at the first opportunity and makes it back to the XI at the fag end of a series, does well and is neatly forgotten at the start of the next series. He had to earn back his place in the squad through stellar performances for India A in South Africa, but again found himself on the bench -- until today.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

SL have been dismal in this series. Post Sanga-Mahela-Murali, they are a complete shambles.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:58 pm Pandey is of course a candidate but we should also try out the likes of Krunal and Pant.
I would be fine with that. And, if we have two spots 5 and 6, we can try out multiple players.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:13 pm I don't understand why Manish Pandey is treated like a step-child. He is dropped at the first opportunity and makes it back to the XI at the fag end of a series, does well and is neatly forgotten at the start of the next series. He had to earn back his place in the squad through stellar performances for India A in South Africa, but again found himself on the bench -- until today.
I fully agree with you that Pandey should be given a long run before we decide what to do with him. Success in Australia does not come cheaply even though it was on flat pitches. Success in Australia and beyond actually caused the Indian think tank to rate Rahul ahead of Manish. Jadhav was preferred because he was ice-cool and hit well in India and he can bowl. So, poor Manish was the scapegoat. Maybe Manish should try to roll his arm over so that he can bowl a few overs when our 5th bowler is not doing that great?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Another excellent 5-0 series win. Kohli gets his 30th ODI century, Bhuvi bowls like a dream and Jadhav shows he can bat outside India. All is well with the world!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It is great to see Bhuvi taking wickets in ODIs. Hope he can continue this in the future.

Our World Cup bowling should include Bumrah, Shami, and maybe swing bowlers like Dhawal and Unadkat. A backup allrounder who can bowl swing and bat --- that would perhaps be Binny although he is getting old. Anyway, we are doing very little to build up the bowling. Bumrah is getting matches, Bhuvi can be considered experienced. What about playing ones like Shami, etc. and giving them more experience. Do we really think Shardul is better in England than Dhawal?

On the spinner side, I would want a consistent run for Chahal and Kuldeep. I don't think Axar is as much of a wicket-taker as these two and we need bona-fide ODI wicket-takers in the middle overs these days.

It is sad to see Rahane being preferred over Rahul. Rahane can indeed bat overseas, but, I think so can Rahul. He should have been played when Dhawan was not there.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I am 100% confident that Unadkat, Dhawal, and especially Binny will not play for India anymore. Shardul Thakur has a better chance than any of these. Binny will NEVER be in contention for an Indian jersey. The End!